• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTS East Prussia '14 Released
08-22-2014, 12:33 PM,
RE: JTS East Prussia '14 Released
(08-22-2014, 10:45 AM)merovingian Wrote: I notice there is a time gap in the scenarios: nothing on the October Battle of Warsaw (Mackensen's drive to the Vistula and the left hook at Warsaw. Why is that?

Because the game was only intended to cover East Prussia and Lodz. At some point the 2nd Masurians Lakes was a "nice to have bonus scenario" and I spent some extra time finishing it because I wanted to provide more value. ;)

Anyway, the 2nd Masurian Lakes scenario was made possible because it happened to fit in the East Prussia 14 map (the Battle of Warsaw would not completely fit on the Lodz map without a sizable extension). Also, because the 1st Masurian Lakes battle is present, including the 2nd one seemed like a nice conclusion to the campaign since the Russians were finally completely kicked out of East Prussia.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2014, 02:48 PM,
(08-22-2014, 12:33 PM)Volcano Man Wrote:
(08-22-2014, 10:45 AM)merovingian Wrote: I notice there is a time gap in the scenarios: nothing on the October Battle of Warsaw (Mackensen's drive to the Vistula and the left hook at Warsaw. Why is that?

Because the game was only intended to cover East Prussia and Lodz. At some point the 2nd Masurians Lakes was a "nice to have bonus scenario" and I spent some extra time finishing it because I wanted to provide more value. ;)

Anyway, the 2nd Masurian Lakes scenario was made possible because it happened to fit in the East Prussia 14 map (the Battle of Warsaw would not completely fit on the Lodz map without a sizable extension). Also, because the 1st Masurian Lakes battle is present, including the 2nd one seemed like a nice conclusion to the campaign since the Russians were finally completely kicked out of East Prussia.

Thanks. Sound reasons. Might there be future mods/games that cover this and possibly Galicia?
08-22-2014, 04:46 PM,
(08-22-2014, 02:48 PM)merovingian Wrote: Thanks. Sound reasons. Might there be future mods/games that cover this and possibly Galicia?

Anything is possible. Big Grin
Send this user an email
08-23-2014, 02:10 PM,
"The Grand Campaign mode sounds interesting, but I wonder how many people will complete a full campaign. Even with 2 teams, one for each front, it might still take 5-6 years to complete if not more. Still, it's a nice addition."

Tom Quinn and I played the 158 turn F 14 campaign in about a year. The East Prussian campaign, 212 turns, plays very quickly; Tom and I got to 100 turns in about a month. A combined campaign played by two guys who want to play, can be got in about 2 years I'd say. jonnya Whip
08-23-2014, 10:38 PM,
Team games are always slower, but it might indeed be possible in less time than what I initially wrote if you either don't use teams or the turnaround rate is high.
08-23-2014, 11:05 PM,
So Volcano Man, you can niether confirm or deny that you or someone else wrote in the design notes that the Austrian Army was developed for a different game (I am paraphrasing). Don't worry, we can wait ;)

EP 14 looks good and I am trying to learn the Russians.
08-26-2014, 09:19 AM,
Right, I can neither confirm nor deny that the Austro-Hungarians will be in another title, but I can confirm that I wrote that. Big Grin2
Send this user an email
08-26-2014, 11:03 AM,
(08-23-2014, 10:38 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Team games are always slower, but it might indeed be possible in less time than what I initially wrote if you either don't use teams or the turnaround rate is high.

F 14 is the monster; millions of troops. The EP 14 campaign game plays very quickly, and I can confirm that quite a few of the campaigns won't last more than a few weeks because it is really easy to screw up as the Germans, especially on the east front: You can get overwhelmed very easily by the Russian Steamroller if you don't play your game very carefully; lose an army corps out there and the game is over. You can blow a corps in F 14 and keep on truckin' as there are so many reinforcements. And to the fellows who think they won't reinforce the eastern front for the push on Paris; good luck! jonny Big Grin
04-24-2015, 08:40 PM,
Can anyone tell me about how this game plays out solo - any of the scenarios or campaigns - against the AI, please? Or is it mainly meant to be played against a human?

Thanks

Peter
04-25-2015, 03:36 AM,
(04-24-2015, 08:40 PM)phoenix Wrote: Can anyone tell me about how this game plays out solo - any of the scenarios or campaigns - against the AI, please? Or is it mainly meant to be played against a human?

You might want to play vs. the A/I to work out your march tables, especially for the Russians, but don't expect any intelligence form the A/I in this or any game. jonny