• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help me pick out a PZC title
02-24-2014, 09:02 AM,
RE: Help me pick out a PZC title
(02-24-2014, 06:22 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Are you looking at just the campaigns included? Smolensk is very large for its campaign. K'42 is a big one, both in geographic size and units. MG is not so much, about as few units as you will see (2-3 corps for the Allies), definitely one of the smallest campaigns. Not sure why you might be ignoring the non-campaign scenarios?

I'm also looking at the Campaigns too, I might as well pick a title that has nice scenarios and a manageable campaign.. I like the selection of small and mid scale scenarios in K42 and MG. For campaign play, I'm leaning towards Smolensk or MG, is Smolensk just big in terms of map or are the unit densities also really rather high? Would say the axis side have more than 3-4 times the amount of units than the allies in MG?
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2014, 12:20 PM,
In just comparing the campaigns, and using the VP values of the units, MG has 20,000 pts of units between the sides, while Smolensk has nearly 80,000. As Smolensk, being early war, has units worth fewer points overall (I am guessing here), and it has fewer planes and more active units (MG has some follow on allied units that may not ever enter combat), I would guess that actual unit counts are easily 4 times higher in Smolensk than MG, probably around 5 times, overall.

MG just plain has one of the most manageable campaigns of all the PzC games.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-25-2014, 01:59 AM,
I found Salerno '43 to be an excellent choice for a first campaign. It's not too large with respect to counter density or geographical scope, and amphibious landings are always fun. The Allies are fairly brittle, though, so your mileage may vary.
02-25-2014, 06:17 AM,
How big are the Salerno 43 scenarios compared to MG? I'm under the impression that the naval lands are pretty slow paced as well, going off of the opening moves in Sicily.
02-25-2014, 06:37 AM,
The Salerno scenarios are very manageable, and fairly balanced IMHO. For the majority of the campaign, the Allies have four divisions (they receive two more divisions later in the game). I can't speak for the German player, but they appear to have several Kampfgruppes.

In my campaign, I made pretty good progress in the first two days. In doing so, though, I incurred a substantial amount of fatigue. A long stalemate followed where I could only make small pushes. YMMV, though, as I believe the general consensus is that the Germans have the advantage.

Salerno also features Anzio and Crete. I haven't played any of the Anzio scenarios yet, but they seem to have a similar dynamic to Salerno. I didn't think that Crete would lend itself to PBEM. It might be some fun against the AI, however.

I don't own MG '44 yet (although its probably my next title), so I can't tell you how it compares to Salerno. I believe the campaign map is smaller than Salerno and Anzio, though one of more experienced forum members would be more qualified to answer the question.
02-25-2014, 08:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
(02-25-2014, 06:37 AM)Many Mariuses Wrote: I don't own MG '44 yet (although its probably my next title), so I can't tell you how it compares to Salerno. I believe the campaign map is smaller than Salerno and Anzio, though one of more experienced forum members would be more qualified to answer the question.
I have played the campaign scenarios for Salerno, Anzio and MG and IMO they all have similar(ish) size maps and unit density's, although Salerno and MG are under 100 turns, Anzio is 275.
03-01-2014, 09:35 AM,
In your opinion guys what do you I should get?

Salerno, MG, or the Panzer Campaigns game.
03-01-2014, 09:40 AM,
Make a list and put them in the order that they interest you.

Next, purchase the first one on your list! Big Grin
03-01-2014, 11:02 AM,
You have a Med title, so I would eliminate that theater. Sounds like you want to play something less than a monster campaign, so that should dull your enthusiasm for campaigns in the East. Through a process of elimination-Market Garden.
03-03-2014, 03:40 AM,
If I remember correctly with Smolensk, you don't start with an overwhelming amount of forces, but will build up over time. It takes awhile for the German infantry to show up. But they do have a fair amount of mech forces.

If beach landings catch your fancy, Normandy has several, but the camp is 250 turns with a ton of forces and then there is the overall monster that is 750 turns with all the forces through Aug.

But as others have said, for that you are talking about, MG would be good. I think there are plenty of scenarios that you could play. I don't remember, but there may be a decent battle scenario for each of the AB drops and XXX Corps and some that combine a couple. You could always go with those first before doing the camp for the whole thing.