• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help me pick out a PZC title
02-22-2014, 08:22 AM,
Help me pick out a PZC title
Hey folks,

I'm looking to pick up another Panzer Campaigns game, and I'm not too sure which one to pick. So far I have Moscow 42 and Sicily 43. They're both fun though I'd rather have a game with many more small scale scenarios and a general faster pace. With the mountains in Sicily and the snow in Moscow the games play out rather slowly and the small scale scenarios, which are interesting, aren't really too my liking.I find that it's more of a chore to move the units often one or two hexes per turn.

I'd like a title that has the flow of the free Panzer Campaigns android app feel. I'd like something with many small fast paced battles. I guess what I'm looking for is a game with many 20-40 turn scenarios with a reasonable amount of troops, like say 25-75 counters per side.

So far I'm looking at Market Garden or the Salerno package of three beach heads. I'm also looking at the France 1940 title and maybe even the WWI one. I should note that I'm also interested in the Eastern Front titles, though I have no idea where to start with them apart from Smolensk and even that seems pretty overwhelming.

In addition, would the campaign series game on Matrix game's web page be something that would be suit me more than the Panzer Campaigns series?
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2014, 09:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2014, 09:13 AM by Tide1.)
RE: Help me pick out a PZC title
Kharkov42 has a bunch of scenarios and Budapest45 is not to shabby either. IMHO
The Campaign Series is an old classic if you like that type of scale.
And I have to put in a shameless plug for another platoon sized game coming out real soon John Tillers Panzer Battles. But whatever you decide good luck and enjoy Helmet Wink
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
02-22-2014, 09:54 AM,
Just below the top of this page and right below the Blitz banner, select "Scenarios" and select the PzC title you want to look at.

Every scenario will be listed and you will be able to see which scenario descriptions and scenario sizes interest you the most in each title.

As tide1 suggested, if you hold of a week or so, there is a good chance that the new PzB series will be released, and maybe that new title will interest you, too.
02-22-2014, 10:43 AM,
Additionally, for pure speed of play, Tobruk is a good fit, along with Market-Garden. Some of the Tunisia scenarios are small too, with spread out troops.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-22-2014, 09:15 PM,
Lots of space and limited units, Alamein would be a good fit as well?

It is well worth noting that every title has a range of scenario sizes, so that is not a vital consideration when picking a title, you say that Smolensk is "overwhelming" but that is only true if you play the larger scenarios, I have played many S41 scenario on a tiny map with 30 units and 10-30 turns. Wink
02-23-2014, 01:32 PM,
I always found Market Garden an excellent title for medium sized scenarios with good forces to play with on both sides. Watch A Bridge Too Far to get in the mood before firing it up.
02-23-2014, 03:32 PM,
PewPew,
I've watched quite a few of your game play videos on your Youtube page, including your Sicily one. Nice job on those. I have K'42 and a good blend of scenarios in that one. I lean towards smaller ones myself.
02-24-2014, 02:29 AM,
You can't really go wrong with any of the titles. Same goes for the Modern Campaigns as well.
02-24-2014, 04:21 AM,
I took a look at K42, Smolensk, and MG. I'm liking the scenario listings in MG and K42, though the JTS store really doesn't provide much info on the actual campaign sizes. Could someone with these three titles talk a little about the general flow of these and the sizing of the campaigns? From the screen shots on the store, the troop density for K42 is way too high for me in the campaign and I'm just not sure about MG.
02-24-2014, 06:22 AM,
Are you looking at just the campaigns included? Smolensk is very large for its campaign. K'42 is a big one, both in geographic size and units. MG is not so much, about as few units as you will see (2-3 corps for the Allies), definitely one of the smallest campaigns. Not sure why you might be ignoring the non-campaign scenarios?
[Image: exercise.png]