• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Competition & Teaser Thread
02-27-2014, 05:18 AM,
RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread
Great, and in the last line...

"Stay tuned for an AAR of Panzer Battles Kursk, The Southern Flank."

I need refit my pop corn reserves Popcorn 2

And something to help them on their journey to the bottomless pit Drink Smoke Helmet Rolleyes
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2014, 06:35 AM,
The enthusiasm's certainly still there. I wonder what all the guests who read this thread to get some idea of what the new title is about think of us. "Men behaving like teenage girls about to see their favourite boyband". Wink
02-27-2014, 09:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014, 11:23 AM by Strela.)
Hi All,

We're releasing the last piece of documentation before you'll be able to buy the game.

[Image: 1746adf61aPB%20Graphics%20114.png]

A lot of what has been presented in the designers notes has been covered in this thread already. Probably of more interest is the FAQ and Scenario listing / descriptions.

You can download the Notes from the below link. It weighs in at 8mb;

Link to; Panzer Battles Kursk Designers Notes & FAQ

David
02-27-2014, 12:52 PM,
Thanks David! Looks really cool!
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
02-27-2014, 02:11 PM,
It's amazing how you can sometimes miss the resources available.

With the wind down of Kursk, I had a chance to have a look at Red Victory for the first time yesterday.

I hadn't realised that there were so many 3D vehicles in that game! I wondered what they might look like on a counter and below you can see the end result. You never know - if I have time I may build up (another) alternative graphics set using these vehicles if there is enough interest.

[Image: 5b9b7a6240PB%20Graphics%20115.png]

[Image: ec1fca1df3PB%20Graphics%20116.png]

David
02-27-2014, 03:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014, 03:35 PM by Wodin.)

.bmp   2dvehicles100.bmp (Size: 221.37 KB / Downloads: 11)

I made a new SB Red Victory vehicle 2D mod not so long ago. If anyone wants to take it and use it for a PB side on counter mod they can.

LINK TO DOWNLOAD
Send this user an email
02-27-2014, 05:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM by ComradeP.)
David, I'm not entirely sure if it was asked before, but: how often can artillery fire per turn? Only once to make artillery similar to PzC or still 3 times, which would make them 4 times as effective (3 times in 2 hours or 3 times in 30 minutes=12 times in 2 hours is a big difference)? Even if the 37 gun limit is a hard cap similar to the air strike limit in the sense that, say, a 12 gun (just to name a convenient example, I know artillery units will be much smaller) unit could 3 times at a hex but no more fire could be directed at the hex afterwards, it would still allow other artillery units to fire at other targets in the same time that they would spend firing on a single target in PzC.

With the "new" Katyusha's and reasonably strong Nebelwerfers, a 37 gun barrage sounds rather lethal for these smaller units (compared to PzC).
02-27-2014, 06:16 PM,
(02-27-2014, 05:19 PM)ComradeP Wrote: David, I'm not entirely sure if it was asked before, but: how often can artillery fire per turn? Only once to make artillery similar to PzC or still 3 times, which would make them 4 times as effective (3 times in 2 hours or 3 times in 30 minutes=12 times in 2 hours is a big difference)? Even if the 37 gun limit is a hard cap similar to the air strike limit in the sense that, say, a 12 gun (just to name a convenient example, I know artillery units will be much smaller) unit could 3 times at a hex but no more fire could be directed at the hex afterwards, it would still allow other artillery units to fire at other targets in the same time that they would spend firing on a single target in PzC.

With the "new" Katyusha's and reasonably strong Nebelwerfers, a 37 gun barrage sounds rather lethal for these smaller units (compared to PzC).

Hi ComradeP,

They fire once unless they're mortars which fire twice. Essentially artillery (not mortars) use the Alternate Indirect Fire rule from Panzer Campaigns.

To slow down ROF for all guns, all artillery types have to limber to move. Nebelwerfers & Katyushas have to setup as well. This is appropriate considering the loading time required for these weapons (about one hour for a Katyusha).

In most cases guns are grouped into batteries and in some cases battalions.

Finally, we have deliberately removed the indirect fire capacity of infantry guns to have them used in a more appropriate manner (ie. directly supporting infantry) as well as removing a lot of entries from the artillery dialog.

David
02-27-2014, 06:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014, 07:07 PM by ComradeP.)
Ah, yes, I forgot about the Alt Indirect Fire also doubling fire costs, thus limiting fire missions to one volley. I've never used the rules in PzC thus far, so for a moment I thought that they only had the effect mentioned in the design document: hitting all targets in the hex, instead of a specified target.

When you say all artillery types have to limber, I'm assuming Hummels and Wespes can move normally without having to be in T mode but do need to setup using the normal value from the parameter data, like Katyusha's?

Infantry guns function the same way as other direct fire units, also having unlimited opportunity fire? That makes sense, considering that historically infantry guns were quite effective at breaking up Soviet attacks together with mortars.

-

I've just finished reading the design notes after downloading them earlier today, they're well-written as usual. A few tiny errors in the German names (Gross Deutschland> Grossdeutschland, Aufklarueng>Aufklaerung), but that's it. I've wondered why GD didn't perform well, the design notes explain that clearly and I guess I'll see for myself when playing the game.
02-27-2014, 09:12 PM,
(02-27-2014, 06:51 PM)ComradeP Wrote: When you say all artillery types have to limber, I'm assuming Hummels and Wespes can move normally without having to be in T mode but do need to setup using the normal value from the parameter data, like Katyusha's?

Infantry guns function the same way as other direct fire units, also having unlimited opportunity fire? That makes sense, considering that historically infantry guns were quite effective at breaking up Soviet attacks together with mortars.

Hi,

You're correct that self propelled guns don't have to go into T mode. They also do NOT need to setup - this is based on the fact that they were designed to carry their own shells and these were close at hand.

All other artillery (including mortars) have to go into T mode to move. The only units that have to setup are towed guns and rockets (including Katyushas). We were happy with this change as rockets were firing quicker than they should have been.

Infantry guns work just like other direct fire guns (AT for example) and have unlimited defensive fire.

David