• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Competition & Teaser Thread
01-05-2014, 01:52 AM,
RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread
You are right, but i think more in 15 minutes turns because PzC is 1 hour daylight turns in 1km hex, 30 minutes for me are excesive for a PzB turn i think in the rule of divide time and space by the same number, 1km/4 1hour/4 (2/4 for night turns).

I see this in MC, where hexes represent 2 km and time is 2day-4night hours.

And OOB... when i see a detailed OOB i never think in battle generators no because is hard do it only because i see the games more aiming to "static" scens.... i never understand why is so hard a game mode where you select map, points per side and you can in the OOB tree "buy" the units (in the end all units have a value based in victory points but i only remember see them in REN) but i add this to the ??? with the lack of team game support in PBEM when is present for TCP/IP games Crazy

In this moment we are Confused Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2014, 01:57 AM,
Also, I read that it would not be like a PBs EF but each title will deal with a certain battle in much more depth than any other game. So, I think you can bet that there will be many titles to this series over the years. The modern would also be the same, although a ww3 type would all be hypothetical. You see what they have done with the Modern Campaigns series, so you can also bet the Armored Battles would be good as well. I figure a good chance to see a bit more of the Arab-Israeli wars there. I think this size will also make for the larger battles I would like to see like Jerusalem or Hue for example of post ww2 and of course so many in ww2 itself like I mentioned before about Br1, 82, 101 and Brit XXX Corp in Market-Garden and maybe one being able to link all 4 together.

I would figure Normandy might be covered in 4 or 5 titles. Utah + AB, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword+AB plus adding scenarios that covered the areas behind those same beaches.

Looking forward to these series.
01-05-2014, 03:27 AM,
(12-23-2013, 09:55 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Wow...Those are some really nice graphics and counters. Thumbs Up

Yes they are. I might have to get back into Tiller games.
01-05-2014, 06:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014, 06:25 AM by Xaver.)
God dont say 4-5 titles for Normandy!!! my hearth cant survive more Normandy wargames and less 4-5 titles Rolling Eyes

Na the serie maybe could cover the "missing" battles in PzC, covering the actions out of the main area of a PzC title but well are battles that for me need be present in PzB, i think in north Afrika or the WWII wargames Bermuda triangle "Normandy-Market Garden-Bulge" but first cover other battles or actions LOL

Armored battles (PzB modern version) for me is perfect to cover Middle east and at this scale not only are what if titles like in MC... think in Vietnam 72-75 (see Quang tri game) for example apart India VS Pakistan etc etc but yes, something covering WWIII is allways wellcome specially if Tiller is a little original and cover something i miss in MC, revenge of the Dragon invading Taiwan, Japan, Korea... Helmet Wink

Lets see.
01-05-2014, 08:55 AM,
(01-05-2014, 01:28 AM)cdrost Wrote: It is also not a focus just on armor (despite the name) but rather a very good combined arms simulation.

Interesting comment Idea2

Tiller site says:
Panzer Battle wargames fit in scale between Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns, having 250 meter hexes and platoon units. Panzer Battle wargames are designed to focus on tank battle and ranged fire.
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
01-05-2014, 10:11 AM,
(01-05-2014, 01:52 AM)Xaver Wrote: You are right, but i think more in 15 minutes turns because PzC is 1 hour daylight turns in 1km hex, 30 minutes for me are excesive for a PzB turn i think in the rule of divide time and space by the same number, 1km/4 1hour/4 (2/4 for night turns).

I see this in MC, where hexes represent 2 km and time is 2day-4night hours.

And OOB... when i see a detailed OOB i never think in battle generators no because is hard do it only because i see the games more aiming to "static" scens.... i never understand why is so hard a game mode where you select map, points per side and you can in the OOB tree "buy" the units (in the end all units have a value based in victory points but i only remember see them in REN) but i add this to the ??? with the lack of team game support in PBEM when is present for TCP/IP games Crazy

In this moment we are Confused Big Grin

Wow - you guys are on fire, I go to bed and wake up to a deluge of new comments in this thread!

Firstly, Xaver PzC is two hour turns, not one hour. PzB is based on a quarter of PzC and it is consistent across the game. The time scale works really well and most scenarios fall into a sweet spot of between 8 and 25 turns.

Secondly, note my comment regarding focus 'on a day', it's important. The PzB series is a battle or engagement simulation, not a campaign simulation. Many campaign like features like explicit supply and night fatigue aren't included as they aren't relevant to the scale. What it allows us to focus on is specific actions. Here's one example, in the movie a 'Bridge too Far', the SS try to use their Aufklarung (Recon) battalion to storm the bridge. That would be a perfect 4 to 8 turn scenario in PzBs. Same with the initial Paradrop of 1st British Airborne and the clearing of the landing sites and then rush for the bridge in their jeeps. That would be something like a 15 to 25 turn scenario.

Another example might be Stalingrad and the specific assaults on the various factory complexes where the fighting raged all day but died down at night due to mutual exhaustion on both sides. The scale of PzB's works very well for these kind of 'engagements'.

The real nice by product (it wasn't planned) is that with most scenarios between 8 - 25 turns this game series will be perfect for PBEM, tournament and mobile play. I can play a medium scenario against the AI in less than an hour and can turn around PBEM games super fast.

There will be no random scenario generator. History gives us some amazing situations and with the detail included in PzB a chance to emulate it. Richie61 highlighted the comment from John Tillers web site vs my combined arms comment. It is definitely combined arms! When John wrote that blurb, he had a slightly different vision of where the series could end up, but put in the hands of us developers.... What I will say is that this scale is probably my favorite to design for. A battalion will have something like 9 - 15 individual platoons but you will usually run around in 3 to 4 companies. You can suddenly have a clear objective or 'job' for a battalion sized formation that you could never have in PzC.

Again considering my SS Recon unit at Arnhem example how do you storm the bridge? Do you put your ranged fire units such as armored cars/light armor and MG's in over watch as they have decent ranged fire? Do you send infantry across in platoon or company strength? Platoons may reveal the enemy if sent over as scouts but will be vulnerable due to their small size and volume of firepower. Or do you send a company, but have a negative 'density' modifier against you because you put too many troops in a single hex. Hit 50% of the stacking limit and bad things start to happen when direct and indirect fire starts to hits a hex. Do you drive across in your half tracks for protection from small arms, but run the risk of piats at 1 hex range that would decimate the tracks? These are just some of the considerations and flexibility you'll see in PzB.

Every type of unit has its strength and weaknesses and you will not see any one type dominate generally, though it is situational. For example tanks in Stalingrad are bit players vs the infantry, while armor and mounted infantry take the fore in a maneuver title like Smolensk.

Finally, there won't be 4 or 5 titles on a subject like Normandy but a focus on the major engagements in a single title. There are 60+ scenarios in the first PzB title and the campaign is covered pretty well....

I'll post details from the FAQ soon, but I think this post will hopefully clarify some questions and whet your appetites! Wink

David
01-05-2014, 11:39 AM,
I started playing Panzer Campaigns only recently and to date have been playing Campaign series. Panzer Battles seem to be aiming at a similar battle scale as Campaign series. I must say I liked PzC so far and will be very interested to see how PzB will fit between these two games I like playing.
Crystal BallCrystal Ball
01-05-2014, 12:57 PM,
Sounds like Tiller gave up on it to make phone games.
Yawn. Thanks for the heads up.
Send this user an email
01-05-2014, 01:57 PM,
So PB is going to be 250m scale @ 30 minute turns?

How does this fit in if "Campaign Series" is a tactical wargame based on 250 metre hexes and six-minute turns?

Same hex scale, but different time phase?

The "Squad Battles series" game scale is 40 meter hexes and 5 minute turns.

Not sure this is going to be a title I need to add to my collection.....Confused
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
01-05-2014, 04:31 PM,
(01-05-2014, 12:57 PM)keif149 Wrote: Sounds like Tiller gave up on it to make phone games.
Yawn. Thanks for the heads up.

And you wonder why we don't share information with the community. This comment and the equivalent statements here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp...age=2&key= are just more conjecture and misinformation.

The PzB series is designed for PC's first and foremost. Nothing is dumbed down, nothing is simplified, graphics aren't minimized etc.

How a word like 'byproduct' results in being a 'phone game', I'll never understand.

No one is forcing you to read this thread or buy the game, but if you're going to make a supposedly 'informed' comment, please add some attribution before you mislead others.

So to be very clear, John Tiller has been adapting mobile versions of his software from existing titles, mainly to allow new users to join the community as well as letting existing members play them more often. That said, he hasn't told us he intends to do the same with PzB's or asked us to change or compromise the PC games we are working on.

You want to yawn and write off the series, that's your prerogative, but my experience is that it is a very good game series and that it will have its fans.

David