• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Competition & Teaser Thread
12-23-2013, 04:11 PM,
RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread
The more I think about it, I say it's a new version of Panzer Campaigns.

"Panzer Campaigns: Operation Citadel"

Reason:
Tiller's site says Panzer Battles is a "platoon" level game and 12 Tiger I's
are 3 platoons.

That's my WAG (wild azz guess) Big Grin
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2013, 04:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2013, 05:24 PM by ComradeP.)
Well, Panzer Campaigns is company/battalion, so Panzer Battles might be platoon/company. Note that the units have "+++" behind their name, generally indicating they have several smaller units (platoons in this case) that can be split from them. Companies wouldn't be "+++" in PzC.

If it's really a Kursk game, I'm not all that excited. As good as it might be, everybody has done it and I've played the battle over God knows how often.

I was really hoping for Zhitomir, but if the strengths are just authorized strength than the unit being full strength is not a hint.

I also thought the map screenshots were for a different game, but considering the summer landscape, the hill names and the bunkers, Kursk seems by far the most likely candidate. The Soviets had barely captured Zhitomir when the Germans kicked them out again (meaning: no bunkers) , and it was autumn already.

It might be Panzer Battles: Prokhorovka. (Panzer Battles: Kursk would be a less catchy title, and if it's primarily focussed on the fighting on the southern part of the Kursk salient it would also be somewhat misleading).

Just to give myself some false hope, my official guess is Panzer Battles: Zhitomir.

Panzer Battles: Mortain is off the menu because: as Apollo pointed out in the what's next thread, the commander depicted died in 1943, only elements of PzG regiment 2 and not 1 were sent and I can't find a mention of the presence of the Pionier battalion or Tiger company.

Dragoon could be interesting too, but I'm not sure if it would be well suited to a full PzC size game. Not all that many units involved. About 8 divisions per side in the invasion area.

One odd thing that I saw but didn't really "notice" the first time I checked is that there's no battalion indication in Roman numerals, or it's in front of the company indication. Normally, it's company (Arabic number)/battalion (Roman number) /regiment (regiment name and Arabic number), but in this case it isn't.
12-23-2013, 06:40 PM,
Damn, i arrive to late, my first option was Kursk "Panzer battles: Kursk 43 clash of titans in the south flank" but this option is covered...

"Panzer Battles: Zhitomir 43, Rise of firebrigades"

I dont expect win i have 0 luck in random games Big Grin

Apart this the change in counters is very interesting Helmet Smile
12-24-2013, 01:46 AM,
My guess is Panzer Battles: Battle of Kiev 43
12-24-2013, 01:58 AM,
Panzer Battles: East Front
12-24-2013, 02:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-24-2013, 02:07 AM by ComradeP.)
During the short battle for Kiev itself, LSSAH was in Italy.

What I didn't fully realize was that after the Kursk offensive was cancelled, LSSAH also fought on the Mius for a bit less than two weeks, so the title could cover the post-Kursk battles in that area or Rumyantsev.

A PzC Eastern Ukraine '43 title could be quite interesting as well.

That would also be a logical candidate for the remark that the units might very well not be full strength, as at Prokhorovka and Zhitomir, LSSAH was in a pretty good shape.
12-24-2013, 02:28 AM,
(12-24-2013, 02:02 AM)ComradeP Wrote: During the short battle for Kiev itself, LSSAH was in Italy.

I meant offensive and defensive phases of battle, from 3 November to 22 December.
In the middle of november LSSAH was returned to the eastern front.
12-24-2013, 08:39 AM,
PzC: Muis-Bogodukov

Reading Nipes Decision in the Ukraine right now and it seems that there is a lot more game than just a demo in that book. LAH would be there in"what if" scenarios...

Just give me something for XMAS...East Front,QuangTri,whatever... Big Grin
12-24-2013, 09:41 PM,
(12-23-2013, 10:38 AM)Richie61 Wrote: I think the Panther was used at hill 230.1.

Just for Richie61.

Yes, Panthers are an option in the OB....

[Image: fd94ed62a1Panther.png]
12-24-2013, 10:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-24-2013, 10:12 PM by Xaver.)
Well, this could be unfair, if the info is from a what if we need know it because i discard Mius battles for the non presence of LSSAH... dont know this... i can say "Panzer Battles 1861, Nazis meets Dixie" or "Panzer Zombie Battles: Berlin 45, last Hitler´s weapon" and have same accurancy % Twilight Zone

When i see the art i think in Kursk but when i see it more i notice soldiers and camo looks more autum or early spring (apart the presence of Sdkfz 251 D model that enter in line in april/may).

Maybe the point here is... how many time to play the game??? Santa can arrive with a gift??? of course late because the red fat old pervert drinks PzB vodka reserves Big Laugh

Nice see panthers, the vehicle art is specially good for me, very "clear" the tanks images Helmet Wink

EDIT: damn if the Panther info is true with C quality and non SS counter (is not black, is blue) i think in wehrmacht in a brigade equiped with them to early and suffering a lot of mechanical problems in certain south flank of certain battle in certain bulge in the east... this made me be practically sure i fail in my prediction...