• Downloads

The Guns Of August France 1914 Tournament 4th Round
11-13-2013, 12:51 PM,
RE: The Guns Of August France 1914 Tournament 4th Round
Barbarossa has kicked my ass soundly.
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2013, 02:21 PM,
(11-13-2013, 12:51 PM)Liebchen Wrote: Barbarossa has kicked my ass soundly.

The massed Silver hatted German invaders managed to wipe out a company of plucky Belgians and occupy their position on the 2nd turn and in the next turn capture an objective, after which overwhelming pressure could be brought on Haelen. Result major victory to Germans. Terrible bloody losses on both sides.
11-13-2013, 11:17 PM,
Spoken like a true warrior David Big Grin
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
11-22-2013, 09:52 AM,
So did this tournament just sputter out and die? I must say I am and was somewhat disappointed in the choice of scenarios; two of them being very one-sided and a third being decided by the ability to hold on to a bunker. Better and much more exciting choices might have been "1914_0822_03s: Offensive à Outrance!" which is 14 turns of non-stop action or "The First Clash at Mons" also 14 turns both of which have historical value. I did enjoy playing 1914_"0829_01s: French Morale Restored" which also had interesting historical value. Oh well, Das ist Kreig.
jonny Propeller Hat
11-22-2013, 10:19 AM,
No it didn't. I'm waiting on Tquinn and Maseda. Of course if I don't hear from them within the next week so be it. The player with the most points win. Helmet Smile
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
11-22-2013, 01:35 PM,
Well, I've enjoyed it, Jonny, even when I didn't win. If by bunker, you were referring to the Redoubt in crossing at Dinant, I didn't even try to take it as there were no points there. Kind of curious as to how it played out for you.
11-22-2013, 01:47 PM,
(11-22-2013, 01:35 PM)Sgt Jasper Wrote: Well, I've enjoyed it, Jonny, even when I didn't win. If by bunker, you were referring to the Redoubt in crossing at Dinant, I didn't even try to take it as there were no points there. Kind of curious as to how it played out for you.

I was prepared to be compelled to take it; having played so many games of WW1, I knew how tough that bunker can be. My opponent left only an MG section in there which I managed to take after a couple of cracks at it. With that, Dinant fell easily for a German major victory. Had he left the full battalion in there as well, I would have needed more luck to take it. The tournament was fun for me too but I just felt that the Belgian sortie scenario and the silver helmets scenario are too one sided; and I was lucky to have the superior forces in each for major victories. jonnyWhistle
11-23-2013, 02:58 AM,
Help  RE: The Guns Of August France 1914 Tournament 4th Round
Hello:

For weeks not reply to my turn, I keep waiting for reply.

Maseda.
11-23-2013, 03:51 AM,
(11-22-2013, 01:47 PM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:
(11-22-2013, 01:35 PM)Sgt Jasper Wrote: Well, I've enjoyed it, Jonny, even when I didn't win. If by bunker, you were referring to the Redoubt in crossing at Dinant, I didn't even try to take it as there were no points there. Kind of curious as to how it played out for you.

I was prepared to be compelled to take it; having played so many games of WW1, I knew how tough that bunker can be. My opponent left only an MG section in there which I managed to take after a couple of cracks at it. With that, Dinant fell easily for a German major victory. Had he left the full battalion in there as well, I would have needed more luck to take it. The tournament was fun for me too but I just felt that the Belgian sortie scenario and the silver helmets scenario are too one sided; and I was lucky to have the superior forces in each for major victories. jonnyWhistle

I just went around it. Gave the French some free shots, some of which hurt, but the one infantry battalion and MG section couldn't do all that much damage.
11-24-2013, 06:42 AM,
It would seem that this tournament is over. I will post the results by Sunday night gents.