• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMFI vs CMFI-GL ?
09-30-2013, 12:00 AM,
Help  CMFI vs CMFI-GL ?
Hi, from looking at a few threads it looks like I can't play a multiplayer email as I have CMFI v1.01 and my opponent has CMFI v1.10 (GL).

I've seen comments about a 1.10 patch for CMFI, but no recent updates on it. Can anyone advise on likelihood of such a patch in very near future or any other way to fix the incompatibility of the versions so we can play.

Thanks in advance
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2013, 01:30 AM,
RE: CMFI vs CMFI-GL ?
You are correct. CMFI 1.01 pbem games are not compatible with CMFI 1.10 (GL). BFC has stated a couple of times that CMFI will eventually be patched to 1.10, but when this happens..well..your guess is as good as mine.
Send this user an email
09-30-2013, 04:57 AM,
In other words they are going to limit your ability to play your game by not updating the base knowing full well that all the guys around you will buy the module. You will be then on the outside looking in and if you want to play, well then you will buy the module. Just like the 2.0 update for BN, I wasn't going to buy it but then everyone I was playing had it and I was basically forced into it if I wanted to keep playing them.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-30-2013, 05:06 AM,
I don't think the people who play by pbem are such an important part of their customers for BFC to consider such devious plans. Probably it all comes down to available time. As a software developer i can tell you it's not exactly a walk in the park nor fun to work with multiple codebases.
Send this user an email
09-30-2013, 05:28 AM,
The CM games are all about PBEM, I highly doubt a large number of people only play against the AI. If you are able to develop the add on from the base game with a patch upgrade (CMFI+GL) then you are able to upgrade the base game as well (CMBN 2.0 is used in CMBN+MG). It is all about $$$$ and squeezing as much as you can.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-30-2013, 05:53 AM,
I recall reading a while ago on the BFC forum a statement made by Steve that most of the people who buy CM do indeed play it against the AI. Judging from the fact that there are relatively few pbem challenges [summing all pbem clubs,the BFC forum ],i tend to agree.
Take a look here,for example, at the BFC's Opponent Finder forum. Just 3 threads in the past 3 months, two of which have 0 replies. Granted, a lot of people are looking for games on theblitz/other clubs, but i would recon someone who just found out about the game - with no knowledge about the existing pbem clubs - would first look there for opponents.
Send this user an email
09-30-2013, 06:58 PM,
I think the strategy of Battlefront is okay. It is a company that needs to make money. CMx2 is a niche product and I'm glad that there are still those kinds of games. Hey! It's our hobby Helmet Wink and we have a very long time fun with this games. Other games you will play one time and after 20-30 hours it’s over.

I didn’t test it, but I think you can have two installations of CMFI with different versions.
10-02-2013, 12:36 AM,
(09-30-2013, 06:58 PM)Toblakai Wrote: I didn’t test it, but I think you can have two installations of CMFI with different versions.

That is correct!

However there is an issue that you and your opponent need to be aware of. BFC switched CMFI (on windows) to use a directory in My Documents for the game files. The problem is that there is no way to tell two installs to use two different folders in My Documents. They made this change to accommodate M$ and their grand plans of keeping user files out of the Program Files directory but they did not quite do it right. I filed a defect report but I don't even know if they agree with me that it needs fixing. Sigh.

What that means is that because the installs of CMFI and CMFI-GL both share the same game files directories there can be confusing about which game files should be opened with which version. This is not a problem when you fire up the older version because it will not show you the newer files. However when you fire up the newer version it *will* show you the older game's files. So, if you are not careful you can accidentally upgrade a PBEM game. Grrrr.
10-02-2013, 02:19 AM,
I had two installs of CMBN+CW, v1.10 and 2.0. I installed 1.10, copied it into a new folder and then upgraded the 1.10 to 2.0, it worked fine.
10-02-2013, 04:49 PM,
(10-02-2013, 12:36 AM)A Canadian Cat Wrote:
(09-30-2013, 06:58 PM)Toblakai Wrote: I didn’t test it, but I think you can have two installations of CMFI with different versions.

That is correct!

However there is an issue that you and your opponent need to be aware of. BFC switched CMFI (on windows) to use a directory in My Documents for the game files. The problem is that there is no way to tell two installs to use two different folders in My Documents. They made this change to accommodate M$ and their grand plans of keeping user files out of the Program Files directory but they did not quite do it right. I filed a defect report but I don't even know if they agree with me that it needs fixing. Sigh.

What that means is that because the installs of CMFI and CMFI-GL both share the same game files directories there can be confusing about which game files should be opened with which version. This is not a problem when you fire up the older version because it will not show you the newer files. However when you fire up the newer version it *will* show you the older game's files. So, if you are not careful you can accidentally upgrade a PBEM game. Grrrr.

Yes, you are right, the CMFI game files are in the "home folder" (I forgot it). I think they did it because of Windows 8 and it is okay to separate user files from program files, but how you wrote BF didn’t manage it very well (e.g. no question box for multiple user installation).

Just an idea: it should be easier to manage it with h2hh. For every single battle you can choose a separate application link.