• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Guns Of August Tournament Third Round
10-12-2013, 04:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2013, 04:30 AM by Tide1.)
RE: Guns Of August Tournament Third Round
(10-11-2013, 03:45 PM)flip0009 Wrote: Fastphil did not live up to his name. I assume it is too late for me to get in the third round?

flip0009

I'm afraid so sir. Desert Although I would be happy to have both of you commanders play the last scenario if you are both willing.
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2013, 07:05 AM,
Major German victory to JonneyMcBrown over French (Barbarrossa).
10-14-2013, 09:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-14-2013, 09:23 AM by Ricky B.)
Liebchen and I finished, with a major win by my French.
[Image: exercise.png]
10-14-2013, 09:52 AM,
To those who won as Germans, may I ask how?
10-14-2013, 10:48 AM,
I am curious too, so I know what to watch for. As French, I pulled everybody but the redoubt garrison back across the river, which plugged up the route to the 2 500 pt objectives. Is it reasonably possible to take the redoubt? Liebchen was slowly wearing down the garrison, and killed the brigade HQ that I moved into it, but at extremely heavy cost.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
10-14-2013, 10:18 PM,
It looks like a very one sided scenario.Whistle I'm still waiting for the results from TQuinn and Ranger Boo Boo.
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
10-15-2013, 02:44 AM,
Well of course the abilities of the players has a massive impact on balance, knowing from bitter experience how good a player Rick is I am not surprised Liebchen struggled, I would also be interested to know if the other French players pulled the two exposed battalions back over the river or allowed them to be destroyed giving the Germans a big points bonus?
10-15-2013, 07:17 AM,
Having been thoroughly thrashed as the French by inter alia trying to keep my lines of communication open I was amazed by Ricks simple solution to the problem.
By cutting of his men from supply and isolating them he perversely but quite correctly according to the rules prevented the Germans having access to the Bridge crossing. This demonstrates that unfortunately in many instances that these are "games" we play, like Chess/Chinese Checkers and are by no means based on simulation of the reality of military history or tactics.Propeller Hat
10-15-2013, 07:37 AM,
(10-15-2013, 07:17 AM)Barbarrossa. Wrote: Having been thoroughly thrashed as the French by inter alia trying to keep my lines of communication open I was amazed by Ricks simple solution to the problem.
By cutting of his men from supply and isolating them he perversely but quite correctly according to the rules prevented the Germans having access to the Bridge crossing. This demonstrates that unfortunately in many instances that these are "games" we play, like Chess/Chinese Checkers and are by no means based on simulation of the reality of military history or tactics.Propeller Hat

That's right. But the Huns can take that redoubt with some luck and by moving their batteries next to it for some shots at it. Still though, holding the isolated redoubt is the only way to prevent the Huns from crossing @ Dinant. jonny Propeller Hat
10-15-2013, 09:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-15-2013, 09:41 AM by Liebchen.)
It is not unrealistic to leave a rear guard to their certain death or capture. Of course, in a campaign, unlike the scenario, this hold would have only lasted so long.

What was unrealistic, IMHO, was my cavalry charges against the redoubt. I just can't see it, in real life, but in the game their given a 4X bonus! (I only did that when it was clear that I was going to suffer a major loss. Otherwise, the cavalry points would have been too valuable.)

As for the guns' hitting that redoubt, they were bouncing off, like 45's off of a Tiger's glacis. The best results from their shots was "2 men." My only results were from repeated assaults, trying to wear them down. Losses were horrendous.