• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Umpired Multiplayer Campaign
09-17-2013, 11:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 11:29 PM by Jeff Conner.)
RE: Umpired Multiplayer Campaign
OK, I will send you the last turn again.

Oops, I will send you the last turn again when my computer gets out of the shop. I don't have any of that stuff on my laptop.
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2013, 12:44 AM,
(09-17-2013, 11:25 PM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Ed should probably use the Blitz Shadow Player with Alan's permission and my result would be against Ozgur. There is a box that needs to be checked to record it as a multiplayer game.

Jeff,

I don't need to record the battle. It's not a big deal to me. I was just honored to be part of the group of SB Vets Salute5
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
09-18-2013, 01:07 AM,
(09-18-2013, 12:44 AM)Richie61 Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 11:25 PM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Ed should probably use the Blitz Shadow Player with Alan's permission and my result would be against Ozgur. There is a box that needs to be checked to record it as a multiplayer game.

Jeff,

I don't need to record the battle. It's not a big deal to me. I was just honored to be part of the group of SB Vets Salute5

Go ahead and record the battle, Ed. If one person is going to do it, then all of you should. Not a big deal, and I'm sure that Marc appreciated you guys all taking on that project. Hopefully with some tweaking it will be even more fun.

I'm wondering if the next time that game gets tried as a team, if it would make more sense to try to play 2-3 on the US side and keep the Japanese side to one player, or would that be too much for one person to handle? Might keep the game flowing better....
09-18-2013, 01:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-18-2013, 01:46 AM by Rabbit.)
I can't speak for the US' side, but either one or two players for the Japanese side would work. I'd probably encourage two players, as it is a bit of work during the first half of the scenario, and it is more fun to play as a team.

The biggest issue I noticed with the team games in which I have participated is that a turn might get stuck on a particular player for whatever reason, causing the whole thing to grind to a halt for a little while. And this tends to have a snowballing effect the closer you get to the end of the scenario.

As a remedy, I might suggest future team games designate one participant as the overall referee who has the role of keeping things moving forward. We have encountered situations where people forgot they received the move (ahem, me), didn't receive the email containing a move, etc., and all these things can bring the pace of a game to a grinding halt. It would help keep moving things along if someone had the official role of keeping things moving along and eliminating bottlenecks just to make sure turns don't go move than a week or so without getting sent to the other side.

And another suggestion would be to maintain a thread on this site in which participants simply replied to the main post whenever they sent their turn to the next person (mentioning the name of their side as well as the turn number). In that way, everyone would know whose court the ball was in at any point in time.
09-18-2013, 05:56 PM,
Haven't we just hijacked this thread? ...

Yes, I am inclined to report any result generated by each scenario I have played, I think it's the part of the commitment and a form of taking part in the community activities by an active wargamer. Dunno why everyone has to enter the result if one wants to and some other guys don't, but I am not going to question that. Therefore I shall agree to drop the idea if the majority of us, for whatever reason, objects reporting the results of the unfortunate Tarawa landings. However, if that is really not a problem, let me just report that against Rabbit or the Blitz Shadow Player and let's everyone else decide themselves whether they are reporting or not.
09-19-2013, 03:36 AM,
What you do is decide on a CinC for each team who is responsible to get the turn, distribute to his team whether claim when available or go in a certain order with the CinC going last to end turn and send back to the opps. If a player is unavailable, the CinC is responsible to play that player's portion for that turn or one of the other teammates if they want to. If at any point, a player drops out, you can get a replacment player if there are any volunteers.

As for the new team game, I would really like to see more of them coming down the pike if this one is successful. I have no doubt it will be. I understand these to be three different maps and oobs, I'm hoping the future will hold scenarios like this all on the same map that we would pass amongst the teammates like the Tarawa scenario. Even if it is not a historical scenario, there are some large maps in the titles that could be used for even possibly a div vs div team fight. They don't have to start with all forces on the map, with a ref, it could be player's requesting off map reinforcements from CinC etc etc. Those that play PzCs, knows that would not be too many forces to handle.

This is an exciting direction and hope it keeps going. Larger and longer scenarios will add enough time for more strategy rather than just attack there for 8-12 turns. Somehow, there has to be a way to go from day to night and back to day. It has been done in all the other scenarios, no reason it can't be done here, no good reason anyway. :)
09-20-2013, 09:34 AM,
Start another thread perhaps?
09-21-2013, 06:03 AM,
When the game gets going, best to start a fresh thread anyway.
09-24-2013, 01:24 AM,
(09-18-2013, 05:56 PM)burroughs Wrote: Haven't we just hijacked this thread? ...

Yes, I am inclined to report any result generated by each scenario I have played, I think it's the part of the commitment and a form of taking part in the community activities by an active wargamer. Dunno why everyone has to enter the result if one wants to and some other guys don't, but I am not going to question that. Therefore I shall agree to drop the idea if the majority of us, for whatever reason, objects reporting the results of the unfortunate Tarawa landings. However, if that is really not a problem, let me just report that against Rabbit or the Blitz Shadow Player and let's everyone else decide themselves whether they are reporting or not.

Now that a new thread has been created for this battle, let's settle the team game.

I would like to see the US squad register the games as follows:

Jeff register the game against Oz
Ed register the game against Rabbit
burroughs register against the Club Shadow Player.

You all participated, I'd like you all to register the game for continuity sake for the database...

Make it so.

Wink
09-24-2013, 01:28 AM,
Fine with me, thanks for the decisive clarification. Consider it done unless I run into problems with registering the game against the Blitz Shadow Player - I guess I have not had the pleasure and honor to do so before.