• Downloads

Minsk '44 Team Game Opening
08-25-2013, 05:42 AM,
RE: Minsk '44 Team Game Opening
Still looking for players.
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2013, 07:26 AM,
Thumbs_Down  RE: Minsk '44 Team Game Opening
Hello, I offer to lead the 1st Baltic Front. I do not speak English so more challenging for the team leader.
08-25-2013, 07:35 AM,
(08-25-2013, 07:26 AM)Maseda Wrote: Hello, I offer to lead the 1st Baltic Front. I do not speak English so more challenging for the team leader.

That's great we happen to have yet another volunteer, but if I may suggest something, I'd still say that we should stick to maximum three men per side and thus merge the Baltic Front with the 2nd Belorussian Front - I'd take either the 1st or the 3rd Belorussian then. Perhaps You meant the 1st Beloussian Front, Maseda?

I advertised the idea to a few opponents of mine and am waiting for their replies. I'd also suggest that both of You, HirooOnoda and MARDER1986 decided which side You feel like joining.
08-26-2013, 04:50 PM,
Hello!
I am ready to play Germany side.
08-26-2013, 06:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013, 06:31 PM by burroughs.)
Evgeny, I am assuming You happen to have the game, You're quite a newcomer to the Club, but I don't think anyone has anything against that, do we?

Anyway, I am estimating that we now have five people to fill in the ranks, HirooOnoda - MARDER1986, Maseda & me to take over the Soviet side, the Germans for You and Saper2 then whoever appears the last if nobody objects. MARDER1986 prefers the Soviet side, but he had also stated that he doesn't mind going over to the German camp so the question is still open.

I have advertised the idea among some opponents of mine, but so far I have received two refusals and am waiting for one more - the case apparently is that the guy may be too busy these days so I am not counting on him that much - and two or three more candidates to be invited if we don't find anybody in the meantime.

What do You suggest as preferable optional settings?

Here's my version, have a look.

Attached Files
.jpg   Minsk \'44 Bagration campaign game.jpg (Size: 175.9 KB / Downloads: 16)
08-26-2013, 08:14 PM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Minsk '44 Team Game Opening
The rules seem fine, but "Indirect Fire and Strikes By the Map" I do not like because I see unrealistic and "Delayed Reporting Disruption" helpful to the defense.

Maseda.
08-26-2013, 08:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013, 08:53 PM by burroughs.)
What's unrealistic about the ability to target the locations without a direct line of sight for any ground forces? The idea is to be able to perform harassment & interdiction fires on suspected enemy focal points - like river crossings and FUPs - or enable the air force to run their operations on their own by enabling the aerial reconnaissance. Lots of folks are afraid of that due to the cheaters who - according to what I have heard - used to peek into the enemy forces prior to the game and bomb the hell out of the units already present on the map in travel mode deep in the rear - at least that is the only explanation I have ever heard about this rule. Limited air recon which I also ticked prevents that completely. In practice mostly it's not used at all, even by me, because there are always lots of targets in sight and if not, it's good to rest the men and equipment a bit and conserve the ammo.I just like to open those options which I really do think support realism. I also used to use alternative computing for fires, assaults and airstrikes - Soviets did take huge losses in the Eastern Front - but indeed it tipped the balance way much more into the German favour than reasonable for the sake of gameplay - so I don't use it anymore.

Regarding "Delayed Reporting ..." -come on, it's a campaign scenario, there'll be plenty of time to make the most of reconnaissance and if You still want to be quick - figure it out when to attack headlong and when not as each good field commander does. It is realistic, at least in theory unless a nasty game engine mechanism I don't know of spoils it. The situation changes form title to title and I have never played any Minsk '44 scenarios.
08-26-2013, 08:43 PM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Minsk '44 Team Game Opening
Dear colleague, I see that we hit as ideas, perhaps it is best that we play on the same team. I acknowledge that I prefer to attack, bomb and once broken the enemy assault, with the second rule that delayed the process.

Maseda.
08-27-2013, 06:41 AM,
(08-26-2013, 08:14 PM)Maseda Wrote: The rules seem fine, but "Indirect Fire and Strikes By the Map" I do not like because I see unrealistic and "Delayed Reporting Disruption" helpful to the defense.

Maseda.

Actually in Minsk 44 the OR Delayed Reporting Disruption will hinder the Axis defenders more than the Russian attackers. See razier's excellent thread discussing how the DDR OR reduces the effectiveness of defending player's ability to disrupt the attacking forces. Axis are badly outgunned and out numbered in Minsk.

The OR Indirect Fire and Strikes By the Map will favor the Russian too in Minsk 44. It will allow the Russians in the early stages of the CG to hit retreating German columns (units in travel mode behind the lines) that they normally would not be able to without this OR. This OR negates the Limited Air Recon OR as the player can air recon out of LOS of any of his units, then launch Indirect Fire and Strikes By the Map. The Russians will be able to continue to hit retreating German units all game long they could not reach without this rule.

The Germans will not be able to make much use of the Indirect Fire and Strikes By the Map OR as their artillery will be retreating often. Most German artillery is horse drawn and trying top escape Russian tanks and motorized infantry. Their air force can make some good hits with this OR, but not enough alone to slow the Big Red Tide that will trying to engulf the ground forces.

Since the scenario you have picked is certainly pro-Russian (Axis initial front line positions are reduced in the HTH version from the 0623_01: The Destruction of Army Group Center). Axis players will find this scenario hard enough without these two OR.

You may want to consider adding a night move disruption of 40% to the pdt and a bunker building probability of 0.5% to help the defense build a line to stand on for a while deeper in the rear.

Just some ideas to help you balance your CG better.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-27-2013, 12:04 PM,
(08-27-2013, 06:41 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote:
(08-26-2013, 08:14 PM)Maseda Wrote: The rules seem fine, but "Indirect Fire and Strikes By the Map" I do not like because I see unrealistic and "Delayed Reporting Disruption" helpful to the defense.

Maseda.

Actually in Minsk 44 the OR Delayed Reporting Disruption will hinder the Axis defenders more than the Russian attackers. See razier's excellent thread discussing how the DDR OR reduces the effectiveness of defending player's ability to disrupt the attacking forces. Axis are badly outgunned and out numbered in Minsk.

The OR Indirect Fire and Strikes By the Map will favor the Russian too in Minsk 44. It will allow the Russians in the early stages of the CG to hit retreating German columns (units in travel mode behind the lines) that they normally would not be able to without this OR. This OR negates the Limited Air Recon OR as the player can air recon out of LOS of any of his units, then launch Indirect Fire and Strikes By the Map. The Russians will be able to continue to hit retreating German units all game long they could not reach without this rule.

The Germans will not be able to make much use of the Indirect Fire and Strikes By the Map OR as their artillery will be retreating often. Most German artillery is horse drawn and trying top escape Russian tanks and motorized infantry. Their air force can make some good hits with this OR, but not enough alone to slow the Big Red Tide that will trying to engulf the ground forces.

Since the scenario you have picked is certainly pro-Russian (Axis initial front line positions are reduced in the HTH version from the 0623_01: The Destruction of Army Group Center). Axis players will find this scenario hard enough without these two OR.

You may want to consider adding a night move disruption of 40% to the pdt and a bunker building probability of 0.5% to help the defense build a line to stand on for a while deeper in the rear.

Just some ideas to help you balance your CG better.

Dog Soldier

Thank you DS for your comments. I know the scenario is tough for the Germans.

Do you think the scenario at VMs site that gives the Germans some reinforcements is balanced?

Thanks again!