• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking to make the Leap!
08-14-2013, 10:27 PM,
Looking to make the Leap!
Gents: Smoke7

I've been seriously considering joining the Combat Mission ranks! Smile

Been watching Combat Mission replays (Youtube), reading posts here, and referencing several reviews about this game system. Read2

Need some advice from seasoned CM players.

(1.) What Combat Mission game do you recommend to purchase and why? Idea2

(2.) Where (company / Website) can you find the "best deal" (price) for a Combat Mission game?

(3.) I am interested in PBeM. How do players handle the large files?

(4.) How "steep" is the learning curve for this game system?

(5.) Other advice?

Many thanks in advance for your replies! Big Grin
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2013, 10:37 PM,
RE: Looking to make the Leap!
(08-14-2013, 10:27 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gents: Smoke7

I've been seriously considering joining the Combat Mission ranks! Smile

Been watching Combat Mission replays (Youtube), reading posts here, and referencing several reviews about this game system. Read2

Need some advice from seasoned CM players.

(1.) What Combat Mission game do you recommend to purchase and why? Idea2

(2.) Where (company / Website) can you find the "best deal" (price) for a Combat Mission game?

(3.) I am interested in PBeM. How do players handle the large files?

(4.) How "steep" is the learning curve for this game system?

(5.) Other advice?

Many thanks in advance for your replies! Big Grin

Also want to know...
Send this user an email
08-15-2013, 01:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013, 01:05 AM by raz_atoth.)
Ash,Mike,

I'm glad to see you two are considering to join our little community Wink

(08-14-2013, 10:27 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: (1.) What Combat Mission game do you recommend to purchase and why? Idea2

So far two base games have been released and 2 modules, one module for each base game:
1) Combat Mission: Battle For Normandy [CMBN]
1a) Commonwealth

2) Combat Mission: Fortress Italy [CMFI]
2a) Gustav Line

A second module - Market Garden - is expected to be released for CMBN in the near future.

What to choose is obviously up to you. It depends on what theater of war interests you most. If i'd have to choose between CMBN and CMFI i'd probably go with CMBN and the bocage fighting Smile

(08-14-2013, 10:27 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: (2.) Where (company / Website) can you find the "best deal" (price) for a Combat Mission game?

There is no 'best deal', there is only one company selling the game. The same company which made the game: Battlefront

A base game costs $55. A module costs $35 . If you plan to grab both the base game and the module, you'll usually be able to buy the bundle and get a discount.

(08-14-2013, 10:27 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: (3.) I am interested in PBeM. How do players handle the large files?

By using dropbox and a little software which handles the turns management called H2HH. See the below link for a step by step guide:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=61497

(08-14-2013, 10:27 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: (4.) How "steep" is the learning curve for this game system?

Quite steep. Especially if you're not familiar with the previous series. I guess like any CM player out here can attest, it's not one of those games you can master in 15 minutes. It has a steep learning curve, but in the end you'll enjoy the tactical realism the game offers.

(08-14-2013, 10:27 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: (5.) Other advice?

Download the demos for both games, play it for a while, then decide which game is your cup of tea.
When you have purchased a game [or both Smile] play the tutorial, read the manual [yes,in this order lol], play a campaign or two [ ask here which one are best for newbies or you risk picking one which can be quite challenging even for an experienced player], then jump right in the saddle and start playing against human opponents.
Send this user an email
08-15-2013, 07:22 PM,
Hey Raz: Smoke7

Thanks for the detailed reply! Smile

I've got a lot to think about and decide!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-16-2013, 01:38 AM,
I see raz has pretty much covered it. I agree with his advice to play against the AI to get going. The other thing you can do is let people know you are just starting out when you ask for your first ladder game - not that any of will go easy on you or anything:-) but you would very likely get an opponent willing to discuss things as the battles goes on or at the end and give you some advice.

Plus, do not be afraid of loosing - 'cause you will. Even the guys at the top of the ladder have a non trivial number of losses. "If you can't have fun at a game while you are loosing, you shouldn't be playing." Which is to say stick with it. In my first five games against a human opponent I managed only one draw the rest losses. Stick with it and discuss what happened in the battle and you will get better and do better.
08-16-2013, 03:51 AM,
I think on rare occasions Battlefront runs deals, but its very infrequent. If you haven't checked it out yet, the Armchair General has a series of videos on CM2 on youtube that are informative.

Playing against AI is good for learning mechanics, but I would caution it can lead to tactics that will get you in trouble when playing h2h. Ironman against the AI is fun and challenging.

I've lost all mt h2h games so far, some very badly, but its still fun. Don't take it seriously. Its just a game.
08-17-2013, 09:33 PM,
Gents: Smoke7

Many thanks for your replies and comments! Smile

However, after consideration, I've decided that I can't make either the time commitment... or have the funds to make a CM investment. Cry

I would have to essentially "give up" my other PBeM games... and devote all of my gaming time to mastering CM. Than, there is the lack of funds.

Thanks again for your feedback. Thank you2
Send this user an email