• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Market Garden
08-27-2013, 02:39 AM,
RE: Market Garden
Whether or not it was done in RL I think is over shadowing the playability of the game. As it stands right now urban combat is lopsided away from the infantry when it should be in their favour. Are the game designers trying to make an enjoyable game or just replicated RL? And if RL then why do tanks dominate in the streets when they should be easy meat on the plate? There is a reason infantry go in front of tanks in built up areas, but CMBN seems to ignore that. This newly discovered game flaw (for me) will prevent me from ever playing a built up battle again. Lots of nice houses, but besides blocking LOS they are useless, you have to run out of them to fire your weapons and then run back in.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2013, 10:34 AM,
(08-27-2013, 02:39 AM)Weasel Wrote: Whether or not it was done in RL I think is over shadowing the playability of the game. As it stands right now urban combat is lopsided away from the infantry when it should be in their favour. Are the game designers trying to make an enjoyable game or just replicated RL?

And there is the rub. As far as I can tell they are trying to make an enjoyable game that is as close to RL as possible. I think their philosophy is to fix things that are not right instead of breaking things that are. I suspect that they will make changes to tank behaviour and or implement prepared rocket firing for buildings rather than creating a place where atypical things are typical.

(08-27-2013, 02:39 AM)Weasel Wrote: This newly discovered game flaw (for me) will prevent me from ever playing a built up battle again.

Understood and I don't disagree - entirely. I think though that a better environment makes a big difference. The urban maps that are part of the stock QBs and maps are a bit spartan. If you look at some of the more recent work you can see how this can be made better for infantry just by having better maps.

Also I started a thread this morning to collect people's tricks and tips for fighting in urban environments - sorry I lead off with a tip that *helps* tanks. Hopefully more will follow. I did put a link to a previous thread about handling infantry AT weapons in an urban setting that has been my guide since I read it.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/sho...p?t=111250
08-27-2013, 01:35 PM,
Good tip about the tanks sighting buildings, I wondered why a tank couldn't see a three story house.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-07-2013, 06:22 AM,
Wow the master maps look amazing.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?opt...Itemid=563

When I heard there would be master maps included in the game I figured two may be three. But they have six.
09-07-2013, 08:38 AM,
That is cool. I use something like that in Trainz12, just overlay the real world and build from there. I am planning on getting MG, I think it will be worth the $. I was search the BF forum but couldn't find anything about the discount they were talking about offering those of us who suffered through the horrible 2.0 patch, I only see something mentioned for package purchase. Did you find anything?
09-09-2013, 10:27 AM,
(09-07-2013, 08:38 AM)Weasel Wrote: couldn't find anything about the discount they were talking about offering those of us who suffered through the horrible 2.0 patch, I only see something mentioned for package purchase. Did you find anything?

I am not sure what you mean by horrible 2.0 upgrade. As far as I know the only package is for those purchasing MG and 2.0 together. Those of us who already have 2.0 do not have a deal.
09-09-2013, 11:21 AM,
That is what I meant, they were talking about a discount because of all the problems the 2.0 caused, I think it was $5.
09-09-2013, 09:55 PM,
OK, on the products page there is an entry for just the MG module and one for the MG module plus the 2.0 upgrade. Getting both would be cheaper than getting the 2.0 upgrade and then the MG module separately.

Can you elaborate about problems that 2.0 caused? Was that when they introduced the PBEM crash? I remember that problem I just don't remember when it was put in to the product. That one sucked.
09-12-2013, 03:16 AM,
There was the QB map problem, email problem (games failing to load mid game) and one other but I can't remember it so it couldn't have been big.
09-12-2013, 10:18 PM,
Got it I remember that issue with PBEM games but I often forget which release they were in. I find these regressions troubling. I know they are a small shop and they get lots of credit from me for what they have done but regressions of major functionality is just annoying for customers. And that one in particular was really frustrating because it seemed they were not testing such an important feature. I really hope they do not do that again.