• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Whats next???
12-11-2013, 06:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: Whats next???
(12-11-2013, 03:49 AM)Al Wrote: I think maybe late war Western Front action be more readily accomplished since most if not all of the maps are already done. However, I think there's so much Balkan/Eastern Front that could be covered and make for some interesting campaigns. Just hope we haven't seen the first and last of FWWC.

I can assure you that the FWWC series is alive and kicking with the second title in development, as usual the limitations to what can be achieved is mainly that everyone involved is doing this development in their spare time and work/real life has a horrible habit of getting in the way. Wink

I think any WW1 subject is possible, not working for JTS directly I have no idea how much commercial potential that a subject has comes into the decision process or if the designer has a free hand, obviously if the maps already exist (F14 used a modified F40 map) then that will be a major plus at the start.

Can't wait to see what PB has to offer, with Strela leading the project I have very high hopes about a fantastic new series. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013, 09:09 AM,
(12-11-2013, 06:23 AM)Foul. Wrote:
(12-11-2013, 03:49 AM)Al Wrote: I think maybe late war Western Front action be more readily accomplished since most if not all of the maps are already done. However, I think there's so much Balkan/Eastern Front that could be covered and make for some interesting campaigns. Just hope we haven't seen the first and last of FWWC.

I can assure you that the FWWC series is alive and kicking with the second title in development, as usual the limitations to what can be achieved is mainly that everyone involved is doing this development in their spare time and work/real life has a horrible habit of getting in the way. Wink

I think any WW1 subject is possible, not working for JTS directly I have no idea how much commercial potential that a subject has comes into the decision process or if the designer has a free hand, obviously if the maps already exist (F14 used a modified F40 map) then that will be a major plus at the start.

Can't what PB has to offer, with Strela leading the project I have very high hopes about a fantastic new series. Smile

I have to admit I threw that last line in there as a prod for an update on FWWC. LOL Glad to hear that the series is still alive. As far as potential, I know of several other WW1 games that have been well-received - although they are both on the strategic level. I also know from speaking with a few others that they - like me - think the PzC "system" is well suited to WW1 battles.
12-12-2013, 05:20 AM,
That is good to hear, we are trying our best to give you what you want as quick as we can. Wink
12-14-2013, 01:01 AM,
Not fast enough we need implement the motivation system from Ben-hur galleys Whip Big Grin2

I have a small hope to see a title this month... or at least in the 2 first months of 2014 Whistle

Talking about WWI... i have the feeling that 2nd title is going to have vodka and lakes or maybe is lakes of vodka??? LOL

If there is a WWI title i want see is one center in Meggido battle and use middle east camapaigns to complete it, maybe here use a 500m scale could be interesting, i think that the engine can deal with this scale.

Lets see.
12-19-2013, 10:55 PM,
Pst! Check out the screenshots of Sealion and Bulge over at JTS. Aint that cool? Smile

Jison
Send this user an email
12-19-2013, 11:34 PM,
(12-19-2013, 10:55 PM)Jison Wrote: Pst! Check out the screenshots of Sealion and Bulge over at JTS. Aint that cool? Smile

Jison

Super nice!

When can we expect to see those on MapMods? Whistle
12-20-2013, 04:01 AM,
(12-19-2013, 10:55 PM)Jison Wrote: Pst! Check out the screenshots of Sealion and Bulge over at JTS. Aint that cool? Smile

Jison

Where?
12-20-2013, 04:20 AM,
Tiller web

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Panzer...ion40.html
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Panzer...lge44.html

The fun thing is the new touch game... "Modern Campaigns - QuangTri 72"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...tware.qt72

This means we have a new title on the way? could be trolled and see a new MC title after... 6 years???

New art needs new title to Helmet Rolleyes
12-23-2013, 04:33 PM,
In terms of WWI, for some battles there might be issues with the player having too much information and being able to do things historical commanders couldn't realistically achieve with their doctrine.

In a battle like France '14 or France '40, the player not repeating historical blunders as the Allies can be countered by the Germans not repeating their mistakes (1914) or still being more mobile (1940).

In a battle like Tannenberg, in game terms the Russian HQ's would be C-D quality, and the initial German HQ would probably also not be great until Von Hindenburg and Ludendorff show up. However, as the player you could still try to make sure the Russian armies are mutually supporting in some way. Your in-game commanders don't dislike eachother, and you always have full knowledge of where every unit is. This is one of the series where leader quality has less impact than unit quality, which makes battles where the skill of the commanders was crucial in determining the outcome more difficult to reproduce.

The Koenigsberg defences might also be quite good in-game, which might give the German player an incentive to give up most of East Prussia (which is what the Germans initially considered for a short while when faced with the size of the Russian invading armies).

Similarly, an Italy '15 scenario would also see the Italians advancing much more efficiently than their historical counterparts presumably because the player is a more capable commander than his historical counterpart, and has full knowledge of precise dispositions and control over his units.

For East Prussia '14 and Italy '15, it might be tricky to prevent Russia/Italy from overrunning the weakly held German/Austro-Hungarian line initially.

Galicia '14 could still be very interesting, as a more evenly matched contest.
12-23-2013, 06:04 PM,
But this is an issue with many, if not most, of these games. In all of the Nappy games and the ACW games the commanders have knowledge of the dispositions and conditions of all of their forces that the real life commanders lacked. Similarly, Guderian didn't necessarily know how far back the infantry was during his approach to Smolensk.

I can't see a way to avoid this and keep players happy. Players like being in the action, and that requires seeing the participants and their states.

The closest I've see in a wargame was the Combat Mission games, where you could tell units to move and maybe they'd get around to it, and maybe they'd change their minds soon afterward, too.

People have proposed - in the most hypothetical ways, mind you - the possibility of adding more "mystery" (if you will) to this series, such as randomly adjusted movement points, etc. But simulating large scale lack of coordination would seem to take all of the fun out of playing.