• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMx2 Normandy?
05-14-2013, 02:49 AM,
CMx2 Normandy?
Greetings all,

I downloaded the Demo a while ago. I played it a few times, then got busy with life (ie went to Afghanistan). Since I returned, I played it a few more times. I always thought it was interesting and if I had more time I might get into it.

Now the question I have is what are the strengths and weaknesses of this game? I definitely suck at it. Still working on understanding the artillery call process. My guys always seem to get blown up or shot to pieces.

Is this a game worth owning? How about the Commonwealth expansion?

Thanks,

Jim
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2013, 04:04 AM,
RE: CMx2 Normandy?
Jim,
I own all the games & modules released so far and i can tell you for me it was worth every penny.

The arty calling process can be a little confusing at the start,the manual does a good job at describing the various options,though,and after 2-3 games calling arty becomes quite straightforward.

Strengths:
- The graphics engine.
- The detailed TO&E
- A 1-1 simulation of pretty much everything.
- Everything looks & feels as it should.

Weaknesses (i'm gonna cherrypick here,there are no major weaknesses from my POV)
- Lack of an encyclopedia.
- AAA fighting is not yet simulated.
- Steep learning curve.
Send this user an email
05-14-2013, 06:33 AM,
I understand that flamethrowing is in the offing. Perhaps with the East Front release.

I love this game. Every time I fire it up, I am more hooked. Can't get enough. I think northern Italy and then Market Garden are the next releases.
05-14-2013, 08:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2013, 02:31 PM by raz_atoth.)
Weaknesses:

-No more Camouflage (Snipers are always detected)
-a few good maps
-the offload of AT guns takes a very long time,and is always the enemy detected(this useless weapon at ME battles)
-Artillery is very powerful because very reasonably priced(especially 155mm guns)
-so infantry useless
-Decision of battles is made only by tanks and artillery
-Panther almost invincible because very reasonably priced (you lose no battle with Panthers)
05-14-2013, 02:09 PM,
Wow. I see things differently. Small AT guns setup more swiftly than large AT guns. Seems realistic. Infantry must be used correctly. But when it is, it can dominate the field. Tanks do well in tank country. But if you try to take a town, held by infantry, with tanks, you have no chance. Panthers are getable from the side and rear with 75mm Shermans. M476s and Fireflys can match Panthers punch for punch.
05-14-2013, 02:29 PM,
Quote:-No more Camouflage (Snipers are always detected)

True. Seems like in CMx1 snipers got stealth bonuses. No longer the case in CMX2 where a sniper unit is just as visible as any other 2 men team on the battlefield.

Quote:-a few good maps

Not necessarily. There are fewer CMx2 scenarios/maps than in CMx1,but it's more than enough for everyone. I own the games from the days they were released and i still haven't played all the stock scenarios.

Quote:-the offload of AT guns takes a very long time,and is always the enemy detected(this useless weapon at ME battles)

I haven't purchased AT guns in ME very often,so i won't comment about the offload times,but yes AT guns are a bit to easily spotted.

Quote:-Artillery is very powerful because very reasonably priced(especially 155mm guns)

A 155mm battery costs about 700pts,which is 1/4 the points you get in a medium Quick Battle. I for one believe it's reasonably priced. I do agree that arty is more powerful than in CMx1,though;i guess that's something every CMx1 player has noticed. Unrealistically powerful? No.

Quote:-so infantry useless

Depends on the terrain. Try to take a heavy bocage map without infantry and when the panzershrek rounds start to fly around you'll see how 'useless' your foot guys would have been Smile Unless you're playing on open maps there will always be room for infantry.

Quote:-Decision of battles is made only by tanks and artillery

See above.

Quote:-Panther almost invincible because very reasonably priced (you lose no battle with Panthers)

While powerful,Panthers aren't exactly invincible. A Firefly costs almost half it's price. The same goes for M10s. An all Panthers force can be quite hard to challenge,but just because the game allows for all your points to be spent on armor/Panthers doesn't mean you have to Smile
Perhaps you might want to take a look at this regarding Panthers?
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=63810
Send this user an email
05-14-2013, 05:43 PM,
Looking at Battlefront site...

Just to make sure I'm tracking. It seems I should purchase the game with UK add-on bundle (v1.0) AND the 2.0 upgrade. Then, upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1.

Am I tracking this correctly?

Jim
05-14-2013, 08:07 PM,
That's correct.
Send this user an email
05-15-2013, 02:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2013, 03:00 AM by Westland.)
(05-14-2013, 02:09 PM)Nort Wrote: Wow. I see things differently. Small AT guns setup more swiftly than large AT guns. Seems realistic. Infantry must be used correctly. But when it is, it can dominate the field. Tanks do well in tank country. But if you try to take a town, held by infantry, with tanks, you have no chance. Panthers are getable from the side and rear with 75mm Shermans. M476s and Fireflys can match Panthers punch for punch.

The AT guns be unloaded awkward.The crew runs with the cannon in the circle.The 8, 8cm AA gun is even without wheels, pushed by the Crew!The thing weighs 5 tons!
I've never lost a Panther in my battles.Sure you can buy Fireyflys and Achilles but you cost a lot.Panther are cheaper than Firefly.
And Panther from the side attack works only against inexperienced opponents.
An experienced player will never allow it to destroy his Panther from the side.
The M476s is powerless against the Panther frontal.
05-15-2013, 03:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2013, 03:30 AM by Westland.)
@ raz_atoth

To the artillery:

Example 155mm artillery US in CMAK.
Battery with 4 tubes has only 35 rounds.
Cost:300-400 Points.

155mm artillery US in CMBN
Battery with 4 tubes has 120 rounds.
Cost:665-700 Points.

It has almost 4x more ammunition than in CMAK.That justifies the Price.I can buy 2 x 155mm battery. 8 tubes. then I have 240 shot.
Combined with target reference Points on the target Areas.Of death for each enemy unit.Whether man or tank.that is why you can win only with tanks and artillery on normal Terrain.

To the Panthers:

A good player will win always with Panthers.Firefly and Achilles are much too expensive.
My Fireflys and Achilles meet always nothing and are then destroyed by Panthers.I have not yet battle against Panther won.