• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Blitz's Combat Rules for QBs[draft]
02-18-2013, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM by raz_atoth.)
The Blitz's Combat Rules for QBs[draft]
First of all,i must mention that what you're about to read are just guidelines. The club(or me) won't enforce in any way these set of rules. You can agree with your opponent to play by these rules,but if you don't,it's business as usual. I guess we have this tiny,but crucial detail settled! Helmet Wink

Second,this is at the moment still a draft. There a a couple of details i'm not 100% sure about,so i'll need your input for settling it...

Why the need for these rules? Because nobody likes to be overrun by a Panther-only force in open-terrain or be otherwise exposed to what it's considered gamey gameplay. The goal is to create a balance setting,not one in which faulty purchase/rarity points can impact the game.

Ok,let's start:

1) Pre-planned arty strikes are forbidden in meeting-engagements or for the defending player in an attack-defense battle.
2) The axis player isn't allowed to purchase more than 2 Panthers/Tigers/JagdPanthers in a medium QB;the limit is 3 if it's a large QB.
3) The axis player isn't allowed to buy Tigers if the game played is CMFI.
4) The allied player isn't allowed to purchase more than 1 rocket battery.
5) At least 25-33% of your available points must be spent on infantry.

I'm a little unsure on how aircrafts should be treated. There is no air-air combat implemented and no AA guns,but on the other hand aircrafts were major players on the battlefields.

You opinions? Anything i might have left out which could be considered as gamey/unbalanced?

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2013, 12:49 PM,
RE: The Blitz's Combat Rules for QBs[draft]
cool.
Send this user an email
02-18-2013, 06:27 PM,
(02-18-2013, 07:22 AM)raz_atoth Wrote: 1) Pre-planned arty strikes are forbidden in meeting-engagements or for the defending player in an attack-defense battle.

I would add "during the first 5 or 10 minutes". The idea is to let the attacker to move out of the often very small setup zone.

If you can predict where I am after 10 minutes, I'm fine with getting shelled.
02-19-2013, 04:13 AM,
I still think 2-3 cats is a lot, I find my rule of 2-1 or 3-1 really limits them and makes things better, with normally only 1 cat on the field. Of course against poor old Jobu88 I bought a Tiger supported by PzIVs and Marders (junk) and this single tank is causing him all sorts of grief. He easily dealt with my lighter tanks though.

I would suggest a written document once all is agreed upon like we did on the SP board.

Yankee rockets are tough are they, I have never bought them.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
02-19-2013, 05:18 AM,
(02-18-2013, 07:22 AM)raz_atoth Wrote: First of all,i must mention that what you're about to read are just guidelines. The club(or me) won't enforce in any way these set of rules. You can agree with your opponent to play by these rules,but if you don't,it's business as usual. I guess we have this tiny,but crucial detail settled! Helmet Wink

Second,this is at the moment still a draft. There a a couple of details i'm not 100% sure about,so i'll need your input for settling it...

Why the need for these rules? Because nobody likes to be overrun by a Panther-only force in open-terrain or be otherwise exposed to what it's considered gamey gameplay. The goal is to create a balance setting,not one in which faulty purchase/rarity points can impact the game.

Ok,let's start:

1) Pre-planned arty strikes are forbidden in meeting-engagements or for the defending player in an attack-defense battle.
2) The axis player isn't allowed to purchase more than 2 Panthers/Tigers/JagdPanthers in a medium QB;the limit is 3 if it's a large QB.
3) The axis player isn't allowed to buy Tigers if the game played is CMFI.
4) The allied player isn't allowed to purchase more than 1 rocket battery.
5) At least 25-33% of your available points must be spent on infantry.

I'm a little unsure on how aircrafts should be treated. There is no air-air combat implemented and no AA guns,but on the other hand aircrafts were major players on the battlefields.

You opinions? Anything i might have left out which could be considered as gamey/unbalanced?

In all fairness:

6) The Allied player may not purchase more than 3 Shermans if the game is CMFI and the opponent is Italian.

Just an experience from my games in CMFI... Big Laugh

Actually, I think points 1, 4 and 5 are quite ok, the others I don't really like and wouldn't implement them in any of my games. But to be honest, I mostly play Axis, so I guess this might be expected of me. Helmet Wink

02-19-2013, 01:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM by raz_atoth.)
(02-18-2013, 06:27 PM)Michel de Becdelièvre Wrote: I would add "during the first 5 or 10 minutes". The idea is to let the attacker to move out of the often very small setup zone.

If you can predict where I am after 10 minutes, I'm fine with getting shelled.

Quite true. I guess no pre-planned arty in the first 10 minutes should do the trick.

(02-19-2013, 04:13 AM)Weasel Wrote: I still think 2-3 cats is a lot, I find my rule of 2-1 or 3-1 really limits them and makes things better, with normally only 1 cat on the field. Of course against poor old Jobu88 I bought a Tiger supported by PzIVs and Marders (junk) and this single tank is causing him all sorts of grief. He easily dealt with my lighter tanks though.

With just 2 cats around,the allied player should be able to purchase at least 2 Fireflies with rarity on. If he's playing with the US,the cheaper M10s should have a decent chance in engaging those 2 tigers/panthers.So,i guess there's no need for a 2-1/3-1 rule.

(02-19-2013, 04:13 AM)Weasel Wrote: I would suggest a written document once all is agreed upon like we did on the SP board.

I agree.

(02-19-2013, 04:13 AM)Weasel Wrote: Yankee rockets are tough are they, I have never bought them.

Though and cheap. You can buy a battery for about 85 points or so and you get,if my memory serves correct, about 400 rockets.That's more than enough to wipe out an entire company with ease.
I first proposed a max. of 1 battery,but on a second thought i think they shouldn't be used at all. Does anyone disagree?

(02-19-2013, 05:18 AM)Mad Mike Wrote: 6) The Allied player may not purchase more than 3 Shermans if the game is CMFI and the opponent is Italian.

Just an experience from my games in CMFI... Big Laugh

If you're playing with the italiens i don't see how you can avoid being wiped out even with just 3 shermans around Big Grin
Seriously speaking,these are just guidelines. If you and your opponent choose to add extra rules to the list or to ignore any of the above rules,it's up to you.
Send this user an email
02-23-2013, 05:28 AM,
I'm a beginner in CMBN, but I think we can use Fionn Kelly's CM Armor Rules for CMBO:

http://www.axad75.dsl.pipex.com/Wargamin...-Rules.htm

Recon and Short-75 rules could work in CMBN.
02-23-2013, 11:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM by raz_atoth.)
I don't really believe Fionn Kelly's CM Armor Rules are required. It worked great back in the old days of Cmx1,but things have changed quite significantly since then.

First of all,i believe we need some rules which can be read by pretty much everyone in under 30 seconds.
Second,because of the different pricing /new rarity points system some of FK's rules simply don't apply. Just a quick example: in a medium QB you won't really afford any arty bigger than 105mm because of costs/rarity. So,bigger guns aren't really an issue. You can select 'Mechanized-only' troops and you have the 'Recon rules' covered from the start.
Send this user an email
02-27-2013, 04:27 PM,
First time I used rockets. They are really cheap and have the power of heavy destruction Devil But they have a long request time, or? 1 rocket battery should be more than enough.

Especially point 5 I like: ~30% infantry will make the battle much more interesting.
03-02-2013, 09:57 PM,
Lets not get too carried away with add on house rules. I have seen several game clubs dissolve because the house rules got to be too much.