• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sniper teams
03-26-2013, 06:41 AM,
Sniper teams
Hey!
Can anyone explain to me the benefit of a sniper pair within CMx2, as whenever I do get one they usually are useless and can not hit anything, not to mention if the target is in range of 300ms the team leader engages with his 'usually' automatic weapon, and exposing their position. The only logical thing I can imagine using them for is flank protection, but even then I could think of a more appropriate unit for that role.

Therefore can you actually justify purchasing them in a QB?

Or is it just my luck that I haven't had success with them? Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2013, 08:56 AM,
RE: Sniper teams
No benefits,really. As far as i could tell,the special sniper teams don't get any stealth bonuses,so this means they'll be spotted as easily as any other team/squad. And the fact that the sniper's pair usually starts firing if the target is at normal combat ranges means they'll get thrashed quite easily.
I usually resist the temptation to purchase snipers Big Grin
Send this user an email
03-27-2013, 03:16 AM,
I found the same thing. I crept my sniper team up to within 150m of a FOO spotting with his back to me and the idiot sniper missed! Well that was his first and last shot as they were quickly dispatched. From now on I will spend the points on LMGs I think.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
02-10-2014, 11:17 AM,
On 2.12 there's a medium/small sized allied attack scenario where the AI snipers do seem to do a good job. I don't remember the name, but I remember it being an combined arms allied attack where you have to push through a defended river with two bridges and a ford(?). Anyhow, the axis skirmish line, which as made out of just these two man sniper teams managed to really sap the combat effectiveness out of the allied green infantry.

I'd have to check the scenario but maybe the trick with these sniper units is that due to their low initial cost, you have to bump their experience past crack to get anything good.
02-11-2014, 09:42 AM,
I find them quite useful. I saw one team pick off 5 men rushing through an opening in bocage. Later on a team picked off scouts probing for intel on my positions.

In another h2h game my sniper team picked off a 4 man section trying to get around my flank. Took 2 turns to kill all 4.

Snipers are useful. I like having em.
02-12-2014, 02:24 PM,
Always use "cover arcs" with sniper teams.
03-25-2014, 10:30 PM,
Don't bother with Sniper Teams which aren't rated Veteran or better. You really want them to spot like eagles.
03-28-2014, 02:14 AM,
Changes in the recent patches have solved the OP's problem of the spotter opening up at range. That alone really helped. I like to have them around especially on defense. From time to time I can get them into a nice spot where they don't get seen and have some open ground to cover. I can get multiple kills from them.

I never use cover arcs for snipers - set them up in a good place and let them do their job.

In QBs I usually crank their soft factors way up. After all with a two man team you are talking about the difference between 20 and 26 points - so why not make them good.
07-30-2014, 01:07 AM,
I agree with Canadian Cat, snipers in there own element (well hidden) with high soft factors and good targets, such as enemy troops not under fire (so they keep their heads up) seem to have a good time popping off rounds that find their target.