• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Locking Zones of Control: Do you use them?
03-21-2013, 02:38 PM,
RE: Locking Zones of Control: Do you use them?
What are your views on Movement Multiplier ≠0? I think it should be at least 3 by default in all games. The only deterrence would be that the computer opponent would have to be remodeled to deal with it.
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2013, 09:19 PM,
(03-21-2013, 09:59 AM)goomohn Wrote: Yeah I've already emailed ComradeP about it. Would you like to try one? I have M'41, S'42 installed. If you agree I'll send you my first turn. I think the base Panzer Campaigns system has be remodeled so much that the earlier games are way out of whack. Using Alternate fires (which I believe are more realistic as well) also greatly unbalances the game. Movement multiplier games would have those spread out front lines rolling back to defend the objectives. I believe it would be more realistic.

Fair enough. I play hypotheticals almost exclusively so do not have the aforementioned games. But if you want feedback, feel free to send me the .pdt and OOB files for review.
Send this user an email
03-21-2013, 11:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013, 12:13 AM by ComradeP.)
There's a big difference between holding as in occupying a certain amount of terrain and holding it against a concentrated attack. The German quote actually points to one of the flaws of German strongpoint defenses: in the case of the example, all units are at the frontline and there are no reserves, because they are not available. A solid strongpoint defense can only be maintained if there are no reserves, otherwise it's just like any (fortified) line that, if penetrated at a certain critical point, becomes much less useful if not useless from a defensive perspective. If the enemy would break through, there is nothing to stop him. Strongpoint defenses are also quite passive. Counterattacks by the defenders would be fragmented because the defenses are fragmented.

If you play a game like Command Ops, you'll notice how company size defenders might slow down or hold an attacker for a while, but will also quickly be reduced to a shadow of their former selves as soon as they start retreating.

So yes, I can agree that a company can occupy a 1 kilometer wide frontline with strongpoints, but not with the part that it can hold it against "all comers".

As to testing it: I only own Moscow '42.