• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

M44 Zero VP Objectives?
02-12-2013, 09:05 AM,
RE: M44 Zero VP Objectives?
In older games/scenarios, especially, there is no protection setting, in which case you can block the entry hex and prevent enemy unit arrival. I think this is a bit gamey, and is why there are now protected hexes. You can view the protected hexes for enemy reinforcements through a menu option and thus avoid sending units into the area.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM,
(02-12-2013, 08:06 AM)JDR Dragoon Wrote: Yes it is. And the enemy entry hex might be a "protected hex". In that case, all of your units within a certain radius of that hex is automatically "Broken" as soon as the enemy force enters. If your units occupy the protected hex they will even be eliminated automatically in order to make room ;-)

(DF85 Main Program .pdf page 10)

Hmmm...well, I definitely am not a gamey player, but if I were to exit my forces, six turns later the enemy reinforcements would enter the map into my then unprotected rear.

So I guess the tactics of choice would be to fall back from the exit hex, wait for the enemy reinforcements to arrive, give them reasonable room to maneuver and only then engage them. Then, if I'm successful, it would make sense to exit the map.

Or better yet, somehow cast a blind eye to the enemy reinforcement schedule (without the benefit of hindsight), go ahead and exit my forces, and then just deal with the fresh enemy forces appearing in my rear when it happens!

Ahhh...ain't these games great!? Helmet Rolleyes
02-13-2013, 04:26 AM,
Seems overall your in a good position to be able to exit units before the other player's reinforcements appear there.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM,
(02-13-2013, 04:26 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Seems overall your in a good position to be able to exit units before the other player's reinforcements appear there.

Dog Soldier

Yes, but then I end up with fresh enemy troops in my rear with nobody to counter them. So I'm either gamey or screwed. Helpless

I think I'll just hang out a few hexes away and engage them when they arrive. Then exit if I'm successful.
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM,
I wouldn't call it gamey if you are giving your opponent room to arrive - then he can withdraw if he doesn't like the situation too, without being completely slaughtered. And the situation with leaving him in your rear if you exit - that seems odd but can be a trade off in a battle such as the Bulge, for example. But maybe you exit a few units and keep others on map to fight.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-14-2013, 01:19 AM,
Thanks for your input everyone. I think I'll ask my opponent what he would do and go from there.
02-14-2013, 02:09 AM,
opponent does not have to move his new units on the map-he can put one down and if there are enemy forces around, leave the rest off for however long he wants-including the entire game. You are not forced to put down reinforcements. Something I should have done recently.
02-15-2013, 04:09 AM,
Raizer has an excellent point. Recon is best used when entering unfamiliar territory. A single unit will not negate the protection zone and will allow you to check the enemy defenses in the area if they are tight around the entry point. If the enemy has laid of a few km from the entry point then it becomes a cat and mouse game with your attempt to recon while not getting the recon unit destroyed before gaining good information.

I know it would be a hassle for the game design, but I always thought a nice feature would be to allow a player to choose to designate a new entry point when reinforcements become available. Perhaps a button on the dialog to change the entry hex(s). After clicking that button a new dialog opens allowing the player to click on the required number of hexes to match the original reinforcement deployment. Some reinforcement groups have multiple entry hexes.
A delay of 'x' turns calculated by the engine based on distance from the original entry could be made but would be left unknown to the player choosing this option. That would be the penalty to offset the flexibility. You just cannot be sure how long your troops will be delayed by this change in their orders. This delay would model time to transmit orders to change movement and delays in execution of such orders.
A calculation can be made by the program to prevent a player entering reinforcements further behind enemy lines. That would be gamey. The calculation would exclude board edge hexes in the x & y axis towards the opposing sides start edges. This might impose some further restrictions on the player with the reinforcements. I would see this as another penalty for not protecting the entry point in the first place.

Para reinforcements and those designated by an S/O would be exempt from this option. Such reinforcements do not need this. Exemptions could be placed by scenario designers for other reasons in the editor.

The bottom line in the current system is a player can opt to not bring on reinforcements thus tying up enemy troops to watch the overrun protected zone of entrance.
No matter what the player with the reinforcements chooses to do, it is a bad situation to start with. One cannot expect too much from such a starting point.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
02-15-2013, 05:05 AM,
Deft use of Strategy Options by the scenario designer can also go somewhat towards alleviating this problem (not an option in historical scenarios of course).
Send this user an email
02-15-2013, 07:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 07:05 AM by Dog Soldier.)
JDR Dragoon,
That would work too. It would require some time to think about the most vulnerable entry points and a lot of time identifying the scenarios where needed. Could be done though.
Less work than reprogramming an option into the editor.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp