• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Campaign Normandy
02-13-2013, 08:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM by burroughs.)
RE: Campaign Normandy
Dani , I am a greedy and aggressive wargamer, a kind of a Patton like freak even though I never liked the figure and think he was a head case just like gen. Omar Bradley did. I guess I am, too. I also have a life outside my wargaming addiction, but it's also war and a nicely messed up one so what's the difference? Meaning - I don't accept that as an excuse, lives are like as ... er ... nostrils, all have some with the exception of the dead and those with their noses cut off for a variety of reasons.Just the no nonsense attitude exclusively, please.
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2013, 10:27 AM,
You have a way with words burroughs. ;-)
02-14-2013, 04:03 AM,
We are still waiting for Pat.

And we might have a 3rd menber in Axiss side

Let us see if he confirms it

And Burroughs, game it's not forgoten
You must give time so we can arrange everithing right

Rgds
Dani
02-15-2013, 04:36 AM,

I thought I might share some thoughts from when I played the campaign as the germans (to July 1st).

We managed to average about a turn a day over all....but then there is a stretch of about 50 turns of storm. Where you can essentially do nothing but maneuver reinforcements to the front. (Entrenched Germans in Bocage = 90% protection, and storm halves attack for assault and shooting). During that time we might email back and forth 4-5 times in one night.

German artillery is deadly. Super deadly. They get a ton of rocket artillery that is absolutely lethal. Did I mention the rockets? Bad..very bad.

You can easily trade space for time. You get more divisions faster then the allies for the month of June....and the farther they advance, the more spread out they will be. Then storm hits, and you get 4-6 days to put 2 battalions to defend every hex of the front.

Air interdiction proved to only be an annoyance. Units that were hurt bad by moving along the roads in travel mode would rebuild after a day or two sitting behind the front line.

German SS divisions get a lot of combat engineers. With great assault values. When 1200 of them assault your position, you will lose 100 men defending...even if you are not on low ammo/disrupted. In fact, many times I didn't want to take the hex, just inflict casualties. And they will have a few stacks of them from the 17th SS, 12th SS, 1st SS, 2nd SS, 9th SS and 10th SS.

There will be no mobile warfare after the storm. The panzers (or allied tanks for that matter) will be best used in stacks to rain fire and destruction on adjacent hexes.

Once the lines are set, the turns are actually very fast and easy to do. The worst time consumer is the early game, when you have to sort out your divisions, and bring the rush of reinforcements in....or for the allies, reorganizing your paratroopers and and initial invasion forces.

02-15-2013, 04:44 PM,
Liquid_Sky

Thank you for your valuable thoughts, they will be extremely useful.

Stephen and Burroughs
Pat the Wulf and Franck will not play the 250 turns game only the 750 turns.

on my side I will play the 250 turns game, so we still need a second Axis player as soon as we have it we can start our game

#27 Feet Wet 6 - 30 June '44 - 250 Turns

Please tell me if I may still count with you?

Rgds
Midgard
02-16-2013, 01:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2013, 06:45 AM by burroughs.)
Not sure anymore after what Liquid_Sky wrote here, if I want to be challenged with such a situation I'd rahter opt for FWWC and I am actually in the process of battling the last running scenario out of there and it is going to take some time before I feel like coming back ...
02-16-2013, 04:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2013, 04:59 AM by Liquid_Sky.)

Actually, it was the 750 turn scenario we were playing; the allied player threw in the towel on turn 257.

I should say that all is not bleak for the allies. They get an incredible amount of tanks. And if you play with counterbattery on, the nebelwerfers can be dealt with, as there range is short.

They also get an awful lot of artillery...and aircraft.

I think that if I was to change something in the game, I would up the allied supply level. On the last turn we played (257) his supply level was 45 coming in the main beaches. Which meant that where I was pushing my offensive with the SS divisions/Lehr/21st Panzer, a lot of his units would be on low ammo, and easier to assault. The game uses a random 2% drop of 5% and a random 5% increase of supply every day.

You start at level 20. With a:

June 9: +10
June 10: 2% -5, 5% +5
June 15: +10
June 19: -10
June 20: -20
June 23: +30

So without the random variation, he should have been at 40. And the random variation favours increase over decrease. With a level of 45, he was roughly on par.

But when I look at Sealion, the germans get an 80 level, despite the fact that the Allies can interdict the supply at sea.

I would suggest eliminating the storm supply drop. And perhaps the random variation as well (to avoid extreme bad luck ruining a year long game). The storm drop in supply does nothing game wise, as nobody can attack due to everyone being dug in.

02-17-2013, 08:31 AM,
Im still in either way
02-18-2013, 09:20 PM,
If you need player still - -I can help out.

Cheers
02-18-2013, 09:45 PM,
I'm still on for thr 250 turns

Burroughs you are stil interested?

Rgds
Dani