• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Campaign Normandy
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM,
RE: Campaign Normandy
Well I'm up for anything, but 15 years is a long time.
If we can get the turn rate up higher than 1 turn per week I think it would be a step in the right direction.

The long campaign is good by me as long as we can get the turn rate up. I may need to look into a pension plan if it stays at 1 turn per week.
The shorter campaign is good as well.

cheers
Stephen
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 12:20 AM,
It´s true that me and Pat decided to go for the big one 750 turns!!!!
A game as long as this one will take a lot of time specially if only played by 2 players
I think that in our case would take longer than 15 years and this was the reason why we decided for team playing, with more players playing it, we would decrease the playing time
One thing is certain we both want to end this game in a reasonable period of time, and for doing this we have several options increase the number of turns played weekly or increase the number of players per team, let us say 3 or more per side, and it's exactly here that the problem starts.

With more people playing it's more difficult to coordinate with each one life and availability to play.
This is an hobby after all, not a full time profession and it should be a pleasure to play not an obligation or something that we are forced to do, giving this I still think that it's a good idea to have more than 2 players per side, this will surely decrease the playing time, also, and it's here that Burroughs comments make sense, why not play a shorter version of the Normandy campaign 250 turns.
With a shorter version we would have more time to enjoy our hobby, we could try new strategies for this or that region of Normandy or for this or that division, time for reading a book related with the campaign (By the way Burroughs what book will you read while playing the game?) of course that this could be done also while playing the 750 turn game but the game will take longer than 15 years I think we are all here for pleasurable wargaming not to be known as the finishers of long games.
So if Pat agrees we could try the 250 turns version and I think we all have more fun out of it and at it's more important we will finish it in reasonable period of time without Stephen retirement plan need

So we can wait a little bit more to see if more players decide to participate in this "epic" game

Regarding the optional rules I think we all agree with Burroughs optional rules version, right Gentleman?

I would like to ear your comments about all the above

Rgds
Dani
02-12-2013, 12:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013, 01:04 AM by burroughs.)
Perfectly fine with me and I think that Stephen the Teacher with whom I had a short conversation this morning regarding the issues involved, should agree, too. So the Allied command is ready to start preparations for the greates invasion so far. We have already agreed on the division of the SHAEF command and the AoRs and AoOs, but that's obviously classified from now on

If it comes to a 250 campaign scenario, it's about seven years or three and a half roughly if we can beat that up to to turns per week - that's likely I think. Thern four of us is indeed an optimal number due to all the issues Midgard described above.

The book is by Anthony Beevor.

I think we should go for #27 Feet Wet 6 - 30 June '44. Doubt if we need the full large map as then in the south , with the 250 turn long campaign, it's a dead ground anyway, but should the Germans need more strategic depth, it's alright, just make up Your inds, Meine Herren.
02-12-2013, 05:17 AM,
It´s true that me and Pat decided to go for the big one 750 turns!!!!
A game as long as this one will take a lot of time specially if only played by 2 players. I think that in our case would take longer than 15 years and this was the reason why we decided for team playing, with more players playing it, we would decrease the playing time

Actually I don't think that's true. Team games take longer to play. Jester
02-12-2013, 05:20 AM,
Sure they do , that's Clausewitzan friction at a personal and interpersonal level.
02-12-2013, 10:00 AM,
Don't look at it like its going to go on for 15 years and a full 750 turns. It isn't.
Play til one side isn't enjoying it anymore.
Have Fun!
02-12-2013, 06:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM by jonnymacbrown.)
(02-12-2013, 10:00 AM)Kuriltai Wrote: Don't look at it like its going to go on for 15 years and a full 750 turns. It isn't.
Play til one side isn't enjoying it anymore.
Have Fun!

On one level that's true but also a waste of time. If you play a game, you should, at least at the beginning, be prepared to go the distance. We seldom do however. A 250 turn game played rapidly would still be a 2 year endeavor. Yin and yang! ROTFLMAO
02-13-2013, 12:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM by burroughs.)
Well, I am assuming this game idea is going staright into oblivion. First the 750 turn scenario with a gameplay spanning for over 15 year, then in a matter of a couple of days nothing ever goes. Nicely thought. Alright, moving on to the West Front '44 off TOAW III so I can read the book, wargaming that anyway.

Should You change Your minds, make them up and good luck with that.
02-13-2013, 08:01 AM,
Did I miss something !!
02-13-2013, 08:16 AM,
Hi Stephen

I'm waiting for Pat, surely he his busy with family and work reason why we have to wait for
is answer as simple as that+
Burroughs we do have a life apart from wargaming...

Rgds
Dani