• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Questions about modern campaigns game
01-12-2013, 07:38 AM,
RE: Questions about modern campaigns game
(01-12-2013, 06:10 AM)JDR Dragoon Wrote: Yes, but Helicopters sporting weapons are usually marked as "Guided" because they are firing ATGM, so in practice no ;-)

The cure to your stand-off helo problem is in Volcano Man's Bolt from the Blue (version 4.7 now) mod for Danube 85'. He adds in mobile SAM assets like the Hawk and Roland. This has helped tremendously with what many players feel has been an overly optimistic modeling of helos and helo infantry in the vanilla game.
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 08:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013, 08:06 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
HAWK had only the remotest possibility of engaging helicopters (essentially only if the helicopter was flying at medium-high altittude and straight, and otherwise only if the helo was obliging enough to fly directly into the path of the missile...). ROLAND was somewhat better, but both systems were in essence medium altitude SAMs. It is a workaround, but not a very good one imho, since both systems have very large range.

A solution I have been thinking about myself is to take the stock AA units and simply making them "indirect" (to represent the diffusion of these vehicles), possibly upping the range of some NATO AA systems as well (to represent ROLAND/Chaparrel/Rapier systems interspered with the other vehicles in the counter, a 3 hex range for the Gepard is also somewhat defensible, which helps countries with no such SAMs, like the Netherlands and Belgium). This will make all AA units (WAPA or NATO) have a range of 3-4 hexes, but since they are "indirect", they don´t need to "stack" with the units they are protecting anymore. This alleviates a known problem, since a canny player will of course phase his turn in such a way, that AA units have been worn down by artillery before he commits his helicopters to attack the stack.

Another solution is to play with Manual Defensive Fire set to "on". In this case, the non-phasing player gets his defensive firephase before the enemy helicopters can shoot.

Bolt from the Blue is made by Tazaaron btw.
Send this user an email
01-12-2013, 08:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM by Elxaime.)
(01-12-2013, 08:03 AM)JDR Dragoon Wrote: HAWK had only the remotest possibility of engaging helicopters (essentially only if the helicopter was flying at medium-high altittude and straight, and otherwise only if the helo was obliging enough to fly directly into the path of the missile...). ROLAND was somewhat better, but both systems were in essence medium altitude SAMs. It is a workaround, but not a very good one imho, since both systems have very large range.

A solution I have been thinking about myself is to take the stock AA units and simply making them "indirect" (to represent the diffusion of these vehicles), possibly upping the range of some NATO AA systems as well (to represent ROLAND/Chaparrel/Rapier systems interspered with the other vehicles in the counter, a 3 hex range for the Gepard is also somewhat defensible, which helps countries with no such SAMs, like the Netherlands and Belgium). This will make all AA units (WAPA or NATO) have a range of 3-4 hexes, but since they are "indirect", they don´t need to "stack" with the units they are protecting anymore. This is a known problem, since a canny player will of course phase his turn in such a way, that AA units have been worn down by artillery before he commits his helicopters to attack the stack.

Another solution is to play with Manual Defensive Fire set to "on". In this case, the non-phasing player gets his defensive firephase before the enemy helicopters can shoot.

Bolt from the Blue is made by Tazaaron btw.

Yes, I agree it is a work-around. But even a half-measure was a relief from the stock version.

I had thought Tazaaron and Volcano Man were one and the same. No?
01-12-2013, 11:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013, 11:14 AM by Aaron.)
No im much better looking lol

That explains why i get some crazy ass emails from you with both my name and volcano mans on it, thats why i never answer ya i thought u had emailed the wrong person lol

As for the Sams, hawk and sa-6 and such doesnt do a whole lot against helos, they have a chance but a small one. Its the AAA that still does the most damage. Roland,Sa-11 are much better. The SAM units in Bolt dont represent vehicles sitting in the middle of their radius firing off missiles, it represents the whole unit spread out within that radius. It was the best way i could come up with the least amount of negatives
Rangers Lead the Way
01-12-2013, 10:40 PM,
Sorry for the emails sent, thought I was sending them to VM. I also thought he was the Ranger and I was wondering why his photo shows him in a tank. :)