• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

new France '14 art pack! (Jison compatible)
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM,
RE: new France '14 art pack! (Jison compatible)
The unit cards look very nice but on my computer the white lettering for the unit name is almost impossible to read and the yellow lettering is even worse. I wish there was someway to make the unit name be black letters.
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2013, 11:19 PM,
Strange, i see fine the white lettering... same for yellow.

Well, i dont say is bad present a "museum" parade but i allways understand art in wargames as something "dirty" or at least not dummy, museums are good to show uniforms but out of museums or parades soldiers are far from be examples of good manners (Hooker cof cof) and cleaning (i doubt in first line be a lot of campaign barber shops or baths) this is why i prefer more human taste that provide Osprey.

But well, is a question of tastes and all that improve art is allways wellcome.

01-11-2013, 01:06 AM,
Well, I try to portrait historical units in a respectful way, so booze, cigars and whatnot have no place in my work.

Anyway - let us give this thread back to Ed now! Wink

Jison
Send this user an email
01-11-2013, 01:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 05:23 AM by Volcano Man.)
Well, it was not my intention for Jison's awesome work to be critiqued or put on the spot, I was merely providing a alternative for people to choose from. I know those who prefer his infantry images because they are cleaner and standardized, whereas the ones from Osprey are often hit or miss in quality depending on the illustrator. There are even people the prefer the original images over anything he or I ever made, ouch, everyone has their own tastes and I always thought more choice is always best. One thing about Jison's infantry is that their uniforms are often more accurate, because with the Osprey type illustrations, I have to take what I can get -- often there isn't an appropriate image of the unit in question, it either does not exist, or it is facing some strange direction (like away from you) or partially covered by an image in front of it, or just in a terrible pose in general.

Anyway, there is certainly room for both styles to co-exist. Heck, I have several installations of F14 where I have both, as well as the old vmod style and the original artwork too for bug checking (just copy and paste and change the name of the folder). :)

Bioman,

If you cannot see the text on the card background then that likely means that you didn't install Jison's unit card complete mod. Once you do that, he has a right-click type background with darker areas behind the values that show up, otherwise if you just install what I have then it won't work properly and it will be hard to see those values. I suppose you can pick and choose his unit card background and install just that if you know what to look for, but it is better to use his whole pack. You should try installing his complete pack then installing my unit card mod over that if you want to see if that is what the problem is.
Send this user an email
01-11-2013, 04:28 AM,
Allways is better have 2 options, is rare an HPS/Tiller game with only 1 instalation in my HD, the record for me is with Rhzev42 with 5 copies hehehe.

Now returning to Volcano mod, i find missing images, "RE inf Regt HQ" and "RE inf Regt HQ (Gendarmerie)" i find these in late OOB, in french GQG reserve in a few independent regiments... strange but in OOB is a bug to because these HQ units appear with the brigade symbol, not the regiment one (x instead of III) i know that FWW serie doesnt have OOB editor but i open it with PzC OOB editor.

PD: i find this because i am doing a scen for fun even if i never finish it hehehe.
01-11-2013, 05:12 AM,
(01-11-2013, 04:28 AM)Xaver Wrote: Now returning to Volcano mod, i find missing images, "RE inf Regt HQ" and "RE inf Regt HQ (Gendarmerie)" i find these in late OOB, in french GQG reserve in a few independent regiments... strange but in OOB is a bug to because these HQ units appear with the brigade symbol, not the regiment one (x instead of III) i know that FWW serie doesnt have OOB editor but i open it with PzC OOB editor.

Yes, I noticed an error in the OOB recently with some units that aren't used in any scenarios (Foreign Legion). I am corrected it in the next update just in case someone wants to make scenarios with those units.
Send this user an email
01-12-2013, 02:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013, 06:05 AM by Xaver.)
There are very few units that use regimental level is not a great problem and missing image are only on this exotic Foreign Legion units.

Thanks for the hard work... ummm update... is only a bug correction update or are improvements on the way for the serie??? i dont ask when because is like say when we can see a new title hehehe but if you feel full of vodka and you lose your fear to "boss" say it i dont say no Thank you2

EDIT: a little question, is possible edit an OOB with the add of a new formation without breaking compatibility with other scens that use same OOB and with PBEM??? i think that need some garrison units in french army like Belge fort units (the city has arty garrisons in forts but i want add infantry units)... i need garrison many forts and i think in dont use as now regular units to use them as reserves and have a stronger line to defend certain city in France hehehe, ooo and can i use PzC OOB editor or need do it with an editor text???

Thanks.
01-13-2013, 05:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013, 05:33 AM by Bioman.)
(01-11-2013, 01:26 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Well, it was not my intention for Jison's awesome work to be critiqued or put on the spot, I was merely providing a alternative for people to choose from. I know those who prefer his infantry images because they are cleaner and standardized, whereas the ones from Osprey are often hit or miss in quality depending on the illustrator. There are even people the prefer the original images over anything he or I ever made, ouch, everyone has their own tastes and I always thought more choice is always best. One thing about Jison's infantry is that their uniforms are often more accurate, because with the Osprey type illustrations, I have to take what I can get -- often there isn't an appropriate image of the unit in question, it either does not exist, or it is facing some strange direction (like away from you) or partially covered by an image in front of it, or just in a terrible pose in general.

Anyway, there is certainly room for both styles to co-exist. Heck, I have several installations of F14 where I have both, as well as the old vmod style and the original artwork too for bug checking (just copy and paste and change the name of the folder). :)

Bioman,

If you cannot see the text on the card background then that likely means that you didn't install Jison's unit card complete mod. Once you do that, he has a right-click type background with darker areas behind the values that show up, otherwise if you just install what I have then it won't work properly and it will be hard to see those values. I suppose you can pick and choose his unit card background and install just that if you know what to look for, but it is better to use his whole pack. You should try installing his complete pack then installing my unit card mod over that if you want to see if that is what the problem is.

It turns out that if I only install Jison's mod than I can read the unit names as his backgrounds are a dark color. It was after installing your mod that the problem appears as you are using a light brown backing which makes the white and yellow lettering very hard to read.

I have tried right clickingand all that happens is the same as always. The unit picture goes away and the unit values appear. Right now the game is virtually unusable. Do I need to reinstall Jison's Mod to fix the problem you caused?
01-13-2013, 06:43 AM,
Chaps,

Firstly thanks to Jison and Volcano for the excellent work on the unit mods and terrain (Jison) for FWWC;- I know from personal experience how long it takes to complete work of this quality, and irrespective of personal taste your results are superb, and without these mods the game(s) would not be the same.

With regard to the issue raised by Bioman re being able to read the unit name details due to pale buff background colouring - I was having similar problems, but if you install Jisons mod first, then Volcanos (if you prefer Eds unit pictures) and then following this go into the "Info" folder and replace the Buff coloured "Unitname" tile with a Black "Unitname" tile from any other HPS/JT game the problem is solved.

I went a bit further with my copy of the game and have replaced a lot of the other Buff coloured "Info" folder tiles with the dark grey ones from other Jison mods - purely for taste.

Another thing I have adjusted is by removing the bottom one third of the unit picture from Jisons mod (where the "Card" turns a darker brown) I find that the unit values are easier to read and the pack becomes consistent - again - purely to suit my taste.

Now ... does anybody want to discuss these pathetic French MG units ?? LOL

Cheers Thumbs Up

Chris
01-13-2013, 07:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM by Volcano Man.)
(01-13-2013, 06:43 AM)Hadge Wrote: Now ... does anybody want to discuss these pathetic French MG units ?? LOL

Sure, might I direct you to some additional reading?

Pretty cool article about it:

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=575

...the St. Etienne would have made a nice clock, but not so much for a machine gun.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/mgun_stetienne.htm

...particularly the last sentence is what you are looking for.

The St. Etienne is an entertaining topic to read about, and the F14 the notes document specifically goes into design detail about French MG units as well. ;)

Now back to the topic... :whis:

Send this user an email