• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

my pzc feature wish list
12-07-2012, 07:40 PM,
RE: my pzc feature wish list
(12-07-2012, 04:14 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: If you really have to have such maps, take a screen shot, dump it in an editor and add your own mine marker graphic every time to spot mines. To want the game to track such minor stuff is just being lazy, IMHO.
OK, but after all this thread is entitled "my pzc feature wish list", so this kind of marker is on my wish list, although not primarily for marking friendly mines. And you can consider me lazy if you'd like, but especially given the size of these campaign maps, I think it is very inconvenient to have to rely on marked-up screen shots, etc.

(12-07-2012, 04:14 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Funny how the mines always tell you exactly what strength they are. Now that is something that could be revealed only on the turn after a unit enters the minefield. In fact I doubt most minefields would be revealed anyway from units 'seeing' them.
Good points, put them on your wish list!

(12-07-2012, 04:14 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: A good player does what a good historical commander did, he works with what he does have and adjusts to a changing situation.
Sure, but that doesn't mean that things can't be improved; these games have already been evolving for more than ten years.

Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2012, 01:37 AM,
It is a dilemma to say the least. I previously suggested there could be something added saying if a unit spends x amount of turns in or adjacent to a minefield or minefields, they would become charted like surveying land? Somebody had to know about most of them for people to have cleaned them up after the war. I know some still happen today, but most were cleared, so somebody knew about them. I don't think all units should be aware of them until so much time goes by for a unit to basically make a map and it goes to higher HQs and eventually distributed to other units in the area. Same should be for those your engineers make. But it does take time.

But it would also have to be considered that it takes time to make the copies, it's possible not all friendly units get that information, it's also possible an enemy unit might. The best possible solution is probably to leave it as is. When you get down to it, there should not be a replay feature. How many Cdrs have ever had the ability to watch replays? None. But then a feature would have to be added where you have a list of reports from every unit you command and you would have to read through them, some would be accurate, some would be totally misleading and you have to sort them out and go with your best possible decision.
12-08-2012, 05:07 PM,
The replay feature is an artifice due to the turn based game system. No one takes turns in real war either.

A WEGO system would have added another level of complexity, but more realistic. Not in the cards though.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-09-2012, 01:06 AM,
No worries, I understand because of the turn based system, why there is a replay feature and I agree with it. I don't use it, but I do agree with it. It would be alot of work to make things happen like that reporting business. Same as casualties. Technically, most of the combat is going on at the same time and maybe casualties should not be incurred until the end of the turn or when a unit has no more firing options so that both units at 1000 men each get to fire at 1000 rather than one fires causing 100 casualties and the other unit only gets to fire 900. Then again, who is to say which unit got the drop on another and fired first unless it was a hidden unit in ambush position?
12-09-2012, 09:59 PM,
Size should matter for clearing mines I had a two man Australian Engineer unit clear mines at the same rate as a full strength unit
12-10-2012, 08:47 AM,
(12-09-2012, 09:59 PM)Mike Bowen Wrote: Size should matter for clearing mines I had a two man Australian Engineer unit clear mines at the same rate as a full strength unit

Except how rare would this situation be, really? First of all, the unit was probably broken, and had to recover enough fatigue to rally to disrupted, then rally to normal before being able to clear mines. Most scenario's would be ending before then.

Then, your 2 man unit could not be anywhere near the front line, as any unit that is size 'X' is going to get shot (and eliminated).

As for 'clearing mines' I imagine all that has to be done is a safe path marked through the mine field (which probably doesn't take up the entire 1km hex).

So if the mines are on the front line, then the enemy can solve the problem by killing the engineers.

If the mines are behind the lines, then you can imagine the engineer unit 'borrowing' rear area troops (not in game, but usually around the HQ) to help with the clearing.

What exactly does one strength point of mines represent? Or the max three points? How many men do you really need anyways mark a safe trail? How large of an area is a typical mine field? Perhaps giving a percentage to clearing attempt would make sense, but if that percentage is likely to be very high, I can live with the odd low percentage for the sake of knowing my mines are getting cleared.

Besides, the game has a mechanism for preventing clearing..its called disruption.