• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Post Your Gameplay Impressions of FWW
11-30-2012, 08:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: Post Your Gameplay Impressions of FWW
Well, it was pretty simply really. In the early part of the war, there was a severe lack of leadership. Units were in large masses and you basically just had the platoon leader. It states in the notes document that before this time, the NCO really wasn't someone who led, he was traditionally a guy that followed the formation and encouraged the troops to keep heading in the right direction. So, this made it easy, the only leaders would be the lieutenants of the platoons, and the captain of the company. As we know, the Germans evolved tactically and the NCO then took over as another leader (in the Stosstruppen units), so in those cases a platoon sergeant is added, and senior sergeant of the company, etc.

I think that in more modern battles it would be a tougher call, because there would be lots of potential leaders in a unit. I mean, each squad had a squad leader, then each platoon a platoon leader and platoon sergeant, and so on.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2012, 08:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012, 08:52 AM by Compass Rose.)
c_Question Mark  RE: Post Your Gameplay Impressions of FWW
I have another FWW question.

I am just starting "The Rivals Meet at Last" and I notice that the British tanks have a grapnel hook. Is this hook used to latch on to an enemy tank or is it from helping clear enemy barbed wire?

Thanks
12-02-2012, 05:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM by Dog Soldier.)
I would guess clearing obstacles in front of the tank or maybe towing a disabled tank, if that was even possible?

Could also have been meant as an aid to get the tank out of a bogged down situation. Just that little extra ommph. That is if it could attach to something solid enough. I think this was the actual purpose. One caveat. On some tank models of the era, use of the unditching device required exposing members of the crew outside the vehicle. Very hazardous duty unless the battle was over and your side won.

Like your idea of grappling a German tank in the game. Stand by for a boarding....

[Image: cd0b53d87aCan%20Tank%20erous.jpg]
Can-Tank-erous
"'Ere! Where the 'ell are ye comin' with that Turkish bath o' yours?"

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-03-2012, 06:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012, 06:45 AM by Volcano Man.)
(12-02-2012, 08:41 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: I have another FWW question.

I am just starting "The Rivals Meet at Last" and I notice that the British tanks have a grapnel hook. Is this hook used to latch on to an enemy tank or is it from helping clear enemy barbed wire?

Thanks

Yes indeed. Most of the largest tanks were equipped with a grapnel hook that was dragged along the ground to rip up wire obstacles for the following troops to pass through. You basically use it like a wire cutter if FWW: enter the hex and "fire" the grapnel onto the obstacle and voila, you got yourself a breach. Of course in reality there wasn't a firing of anything, the tank just drove over it in such a way as to rip up the wire.

The other way to do it is to blast the entire area for hours with 18 lbr HE rounds with No.106 fuze, or to use the wire cutter on the end of some of the SMLE rifles, but the tank seems to work best. Big Grin
Send this user an email