• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Post Your Gameplay Impressions of FWW
11-18-2012, 07:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-18-2012, 07:09 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
Post Your Gameplay Impressions of FWW
Gents,

Now that a few of you have picked the game up, post some of your thoughts and impressions of the game as you begin to poke around and play some PBEMs. I'm quite sure Volcano Man is interested to start getting some feedback on the game.

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 07:30 AM,
RE: Post Your Gameplay Impressions of FWW
(11-18-2012, 07:08 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: ...I'm quite sure Volcano Man is interested to start getting some feedback on the game.

Only if it is good feedback! Just kidding. Big Grin2 Constructive criticism is always welcome too.

Feedback is a double edged sword in the sense that I would like to reply to all of it but, given that I have been very busy lately (working on the next game), I may not be able to reply to all feedback. I can promise however that I do read everything.
Send this user an email
11-18-2012, 08:03 AM,
I have a couple of questions.

I am not use to seeing the status of the units displayed off to the left of the counters. I know the star is a leader, D = Disrupted, P = Pinned. What does H stand for? Heavy weapons?

[Image: 15e41f07cbFWW%20Ques.jpg]

Also looking at the 2DSymbols100 file, I see that there is a "E" shown. What status would that signify?

[Image: f0b3f8e351FWW%202.jpg]

11-18-2012, 08:34 AM,
H = heavy weapon. E = Engineer (basically just someone carrying wire cutters).

Send this user an email
11-18-2012, 09:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM by Compass Rose.)
Thanks for the info. Ed.

I think it is safe to say that the release of FWW is still a shock to many of us, in a good way. Smile I know it was on alot of wish lists for a number of years.

Judging on the different forums, it looks like it is the "talk of the town"!

Congratulations to VolcanoMan, and our fellow Blitz playtesters Rabbit, Landers34, NikB, fastphil, and Mad_Dog.
11-18-2012, 11:58 AM,

Purchased it as soon as I read it had been released.

Only had a few hours to with it so far.

Am still getting used to WWI play format w/ differant tactics and new to SQB weapons. But using the MkI tanks for first time was a blast. And made me re-think previous SBQ tank tatics.

The maps and oobs in the editor sections are spot on for creating some great sceantios - both historical and hypothetical.

I think I'll begin w/ Australian 4th Light Horse Brigade charge on Ottoman trenches at Beersheba in 1917.

Great work Volcano Man.

Oh, I did notice there is no graphic/image for bagpipes.

There's simply a weapons box w/ inf if you choose to give Scotish Batt. a piper.
11-18-2012, 12:54 PM,
The two things that stood out for me as a playtester about SB FWW:

1.) The tactics and style of warfare are significantly different from all of the other SB titles. There is a significant difference in how the SB WWII titles play from how the SB modern titles play. I tend to think the difference is even greater between this title and any of the other titles. And I mean that in a good way. Ed (Volcano Man) did a superb game of utilizing the game engine in very creative ways to replicate the tactics and style of warfare of WWI. Playtesting this title was an educational experience for me, as I quickly found my "modern" tactics were inappropriate for the WWI environment Ed did so well in replicating.

2.) I also found this title definitely is not for the faint of heart. The body count is staggering.

As an aside, I strongly urge everyone to read the accompanying documentation (specifically the Notes.pdf file). It's a very interesting read, but it will also help you learn the proper tactics to employ for that day and age.
11-18-2012, 01:57 PM,
(11-18-2012, 11:58 AM)Spud Wrote: I think I'll begin w/ Australian 4th Light Horse Brigade charge on Ottoman trenches at Beersheba in 1917.

Great idea, that would be fun. :) I wanted to create a light horse campaign as well but... *sigh* so little time.

Quote:Oh, I did notice there is no graphic/image for bagpipes.

There's simply a weapons box w/ inf if you choose to give Scotish Batt. a piper.

Good point. Actually the bagpipes should probably get removed. At one point I thought about making them the scottish version of the regimental colors (inspirational weapon), but I decided against it as it might feel too gamey. On the other hand though, maybe it is not far off. In any case it is more something that I forgot to remove from the database rather than a missing picture. However if someone twists my arm I suppose I could put an image of it in there in the first update. ;)
Send this user an email
11-18-2012, 02:14 PM,
The game is outstanding! I actually just picked up France 14 the other day but it's been shelved for the weekend in favor of this one. I'm far from a Squad Battles expert but boy is this one tough to advance toward the enemy lines. High casualty rates and the spread of chemicals and it's effects. Well done and congrats to the team.
11-18-2012, 02:35 PM,
First of all, thanks to all involved in creating this gem of a game!

I have played around with a few of the scenarios just to get feel for it.

In 2D mode : Russian and French artillery icons - its just looks like a blue square whereas the German icon is that of a clearly recognizable field gun - maybe consider changing the icon so something more gunnish?

Also having some difficulty in switching between 2d and 3d modes, but not a big thing as I prefer 2d.

I was hoping for more Eastern Front scenarios but hey, maybe I should just attempt to create some more.