• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Moscow '42 Team Game
12-03-2012, 05:02 AM,
RE: Moscow '42 Team Game
(12-03-2012, 04:40 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I said I am okay with delayed disrupt above. How about if you give reasons for liking various rules? That would really open debate on them!!!

Rick

Fair point, I have overlooked that again, but it's due to the fact that I want to keep an eye on the developments here and the things outside were hectic this weekend so I mostly only managed to scan what's written here.

Anyway, check the rules in the attached file and if we're fine with that let me know so I can set the whole thing up and the comrades will commence the operation.

Attached Files
.jpg   Moscow \'42 PBEM team game.JPG (Size: 104.19 KB / Downloads: 45)
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 06:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012, 06:51 AM by Liebchen.)
Alternative assaults: I've never used them, except in Normandy '44 which was the game that first introduced this rule (and the other alternative attack rules). This game needed these rules for play balance.

I think that the alternative assault rule will favor the Germans in this game, but can't be sure about that. The reason I say that is I believe that the hard attack value for your typical Russian is low. Then again, there aren't many tanks in this game.

Counter-battery: This one is a mixed bag. On the one hand, German artillery has longer ranges (generally speaking) and they have a favorable counterbattery modifier. On the other hand, the Russians will be pressing in on the German lines, and so more German artillery will be exposed to this than Russian artillery.

Indirect fire/air strikes by the map: I, too, believe that this leads to gamey technique. This rule is quite appropriate for the Modern Campaigns, but not so much on the Eastern Front.

Delayed disruption reporting: I'm fine with this rule. Be advised that it tends to favor the defenders, though, and slows attacks down, generally speaking. On the other hand, it will not likely affect the Russians a whole lot in this game, since they pretty much have no choice but to assault undisrupted German units.

The rest of the rules look fine to me, actually they're what I usually play with.

Foul has written this helpful article on the merits of the various optional rules (although it doesn't include delayed disruption reporting, since that came later): https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=47923
12-03-2012, 07:00 AM,
What is the gamey technique regarding indirect fire and air strikes by the map?

Every time there is something than favours one side and not the other - that's what the logics behind any advantage are. If we are going to carry on discussing that way, we should start talking about why the jerries have a higher quality than the ruskies, "that should be balanced, and it's not equal, if that's not equal then it's not balanced ... blah, blah" - everyone knows why and that the tides of war are likely to offset anything virtually. Then why the ruskies have an advantage in numbers, they should be equal - whereas the truth is that simply it was that way and that was my remark regarding 2nd battle of Kharkov. Finally - shouldn't we be of exactly the same experience for the sake of "gameplay balance"?But, wait, we have Mooreshawn and Schmolywar, are they still invited?An generally the Soviet camp as a whole is way less battle hardened ... What the ... ? I'd say - can we just start? Some kind of inequality is the basis of the world we live in, eh?
12-03-2012, 07:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012, 07:12 AM by raizer.)
gamey tactics for air stirkes by map (1 of your rules) and not having limited air recon checked (2nd of yours) = this: I can look at all your units at the genric start of the scenario, record the hex numbers and bomb those units with my air no matter where they are on the map. Now I dont know about this game but in many others, there are units that start the game in T mode. So you have first move and since your air attacks/arty attacks are allowed anywhere on the map, without anyone seeing their targets, and since you dont have limited air recon checked...I can send my air to bomb all the units in T mode on my first move (the first move of the attacker) before the defender can take his units out of T mode. Thats one gamey tactic...do you want more?
12-03-2012, 07:54 AM,

Guys, I´m just following your discussion about that team game from the beginning, and sometimes I´m getting a feeling that the real bombs will be flying over continents soon LOL

Beside the current Middle East crisis, it looks like we have a Blitz - Moscow ´42 team game crisis, I will start moving some supplies to my basement soon Mex Big Grin

Good luck guys with starting the game, calm down a bit, everyone have a different taste, respect the others Helmet Wink

12-03-2012, 08:02 AM,
Raizer covered it perfectly, and it really doesn't add anything to the game outside of it. Not saying it is even an issue in this specific scenario, but don't see any value added. Burroughs, everything we have suggested is to your team's benefit, to hopefully maintain a better chance of victory. I agree lets play - you asked for comments however, and reasoning and have gotten it, then do your post above. I asked for reasoning and got nothing back. Not sure what triggered your outburst regarding balance, players, experience etc above but looking through this full thread it seems consistent.

One last thought, nobody said we need everything balanced it has all been about scenario balance toward victory for both sides, assuming equal players. We want the players to be the difference not an arcane choice of rules just to have them.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-03-2012, 10:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM by Liebchen.)
I just re-read my comment about the ORs and realized that I didn't say one way or another whether I consented to them.

I have no problem playing with the delayed disruption reporting and the counterbattery rules, if the Russians insist upon them.

I believe that the alternative assault rules will lead to an unsatisfyingly short game.

Air/artillery by the map is not an acceptable option to me.

Hopefully with the further discussion that we've had we can arrive at a set of rules and get this puppy started.

Mooreshawnm, are you still in this game? If so, we will need your email address.
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM,

Mooreshawnm, are you still in this game? If so, we will need your email address.

fireintheeast at inbox dot com

I have been in communication with my Communist brothers. Roles have been assigned.
12-03-2012, 01:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM by Liebchen.)
(12-03-2012, 11:32 AM)mooreshawnm Wrote: Mooreshawnm, are you still in this game? If so, we will need your email address.

fireintheeast at inbox dot com

I have been in communication with my Communist brothers. Roles have been assigned.

Excellent news! Now, if there are no more disputes about ORs we await your first turn. Smile

12-03-2012, 01:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM by Schmolywar.)
HOLD ON! I DEMAND to change the rule regarding the optional whatsitsname...

just kidding