• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CM x2; worth buying?
11-04-2012, 09:32 AM,
CM x2; worth buying?
After a year 2 absence from wargaming, I have stubled upon the new Combat Missions. What do the fans of the old game say? Worth buying when there is other wargame titles out there you want to buy? Or just stick with the old ones?
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2012, 02:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 02:51 PM by daisy.)
RE: CM x2; worth buying?
When you say new Combat Mission I am assuming that you are referring to CMNB + Commonwealth module and CMFI?

I have played these since they were released and am enjoying them. There has also been a lot of campaigns, single scenarios and skins released. So there is a substantial amount of user made content available.

The new CM have yet to enter the desert or the eastern front. So if you enjoy these theatres better then maybe stick to the older titles.

Keep in mind though that the first new CM eastern front title will be released in 2013 so if your thing is the eastern front then it might be good to start learning how to play the new CM as there are differences between CM1(CMBO/CMBB/CMAK) and the new ones.

Battlefront will also be releasing Combat Mission Shock Force 2 during 2013 - this is a modern game set in the Ukraine featuring Nato v Russia.

Are there other wargames I want to buy ? Yes, there are (e.g. HPS The Rennaisance, Squad Battles modules), but none of them compete in the same segment of the market as CM2.

If you look at what CMBN and CMFI are doing then there is no direct competition in my opinion.

Some would say that Panzer Command Ostfront is competition for CMBN & CMFI. PCO was released in 2011 (almost the same time as CMBN). I have only played the demo. To me it seemed more similar to CM1, if you played CM1 then PCO would look and feel more familiar than CM2. Personally I prefer the CM2 style of graphics and gameplay.

From reading about the full game (PCO) it does seem as if the base game comes with a whole lot of content. I considered buying it for quite a long time but then decided against it. Have a look at the demo and make your decision thereafter.
11-04-2012, 06:19 PM,
I played about 500 CMBB/CMAK pbem games. Until CMx2 came out,that is.Ever since i switched 100% to CMx2. In my opinion the CMx2 engine is vastly superior,no doubt about it.
Just download the demos for CMBN and CMFI and have a look for yourself. It will take a while to get accustomed with the new interface or with the increased lethality of the arty,but it is well worth it.
Send this user an email
11-07-2012, 02:43 AM,
Hi,

From my experience, i already stopped to play CMBN and its add-on.
The engine try to be so realistic than enjoyment has disappeared.
To play a single game is really too long as we have to do micro-managment with each units.

The main problem is artillery. It is the king of the battlfield as it is really too much powerfull. One shrepnel of a single 60mm mortar falling on a squad can easily kill half of it and the second kills the survivors.

Furthermore, to lead an attack is near impossible as defensing forces have big advantages because of some reasons (game engine, concealment, one shot-one kill with tanks, and others...)

A very big disapointment. Yes, it is more realistic than CMAK but yes it is very boring to play and you will discover quicky than to play a turn could be a great chore !
That's why i will play again CMAK and CMBB --> oldies but goodies

Jawsconan
Idiots dare everything. That is the way to recognize them (Michel Audiard)
11-08-2012, 03:07 PM,
I don't agree that it is boring to play. It's an unforgiving game which severely punishes a players mistakes.
11-08-2012, 06:52 PM,
(11-07-2012, 02:43 AM)jawsconan Wrote: From my experience, i already stopped to play CMBN and its add-on.
The engine try to be so realistic than enjoyment has disappeared.
To play a single game is really too long as we have to do micro-managment with each units.

The average CMx2 game is indeed longer than in CMx1. You'll need to move slower and more cautious than in CMx1,because,as daisy said you'll,in the end,pay for every mistake you make. As it should be,i recon :)
I disagree with the micro-managing part,though. There are fewer units per battle in CMx2 than in CMx1,so in most battles you'll micromanage less.

(11-07-2012, 02:43 AM)jawsconan Wrote: The main problem is artillery. It is the king of the battlfield as it is really too much powerfull. One shrepnel of a single 60mm mortar falling on a squad can easily kill half of it and the second kills the survivors.

True.Arty is somehow overpowered.Not enough to ruin the game,but just enough to notice that it's the main killer on the battlefield. On the other hand,arty was the main infantry killer in real-life,so i guess that's as realistic as it can be. It can come as a big surprise for someone used with CMx1-where the smaller stuff-at best pinned the enemy to notice how the 60mm mortar is now a deadly weapon :)

(11-07-2012, 02:43 AM)jawsconan Wrote: Furthermore, to lead an attack is near impossible as defensing forces have big advantages because of some reasons (game engine, concealment, one shot-one kill with tanks, and others...)

From my experience it's the other way around. Or at least i usually win more games when i'm the attacker.For example,it's easier to spot enemy AT guns,than in CMx1.Of course,this means you put a unit with binoculars in a nice overwatch position and actually allow it to spot for 2-3 minutes. Just charging forward and hoping for the best,is usually heavily penalized in CMx2. More heavily than in CMx1 :)

(11-07-2012, 02:43 AM)jawsconan Wrote: A very big disapointment. Yes, it is more realistic than CMAK but yes it is very boring to play and you will discover quicky than to play a turn could be a great chore !
That's why i will play again CMAK and CMBB --> oldies but goodies

Personally,i consider it a vastly superior game. But,i guess each with it's own taste :-)
What i can recommend to every CMx1 player considering to make the big switch,is to simply download the demo(s) and see with their own eyes if they like what they see or not.It's as simple as that.

Send this user an email