• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Air in CMBN+CW
09-14-2012, 12:53 PM,
Air in CMBN+CW
So with no German AAA except the expensive 88, and I am not sure if it is a AAA or AT in the game, do you think that air should be included in the game since there is no defense against it? I think using any unit that cannot be defeated is rather unfair; do the allies have a AAA unit?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2012, 04:32 AM,
RE: Air in CMBN+CW
A/A fire is not portrayed in the game.
Air support is very effective especially in small maps, although many times a plane is strafing over and over again the same (disabled) target.
What balances things a bit is that air support always need a designated air controller and the delay times are somehow long, even for an experienced(vet and above) spotter.
Still i miss those excellent German quad MGs from CM1.
09-15-2012, 05:35 AM,
IN the one game I had air my delay was 11 minutes with air FOO, so useless if trying to target a tank.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-18-2012, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM by raz_atoth.)
Indeed. As cargol says, AAA fire is not simulated in the game (yet). Thus the german 88mm gun can be used only in the AT role.

I haven't found the planes to be very effective,though. They're a nuisance,but not a big one. From my experience,the cheaper planes-without bombs-will usually strafe tanks,without to much effect,unless you bunch your infantry around that tank. It might kill a halftrack here and there or some poor lads caught in the open,but that's about it.
The planes with bombs can be effective if your opponent's armor is kept in a tight formation and the bomb is delivered next to it. In this case,planes can give you a very nice edge. On the other hand,more often than not the bomb lands on an arbitrary place on the map without causing enough damage to justify the cost.

If you still decide to purchase some planes,make sure you also buy a FO as it's the only unit able to call the air strike. If you forget,you'll end up with a plane you can't call to deliver it's payload.

Also,you might want to have a TRP or two ready,too.It will dramatically cut the waiting time from 11-12 minutes to 4-5 minutes.
Send this user an email
09-18-2012, 11:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-18-2012, 11:29 AM by CaptPoobar.)
One of the things that drew me to combat mission 10 odd years ago was the fact it represented all the actual units in the respective theatre's of war. After a break of 6 years or so from playing Cm x 1 CMBB and CMAK I have only just gotten back into the Cm action again. I must say that i am pretty disapointed that they have left so much out in CMBN and CMFI like the flake guns on both sides... no 50 cal machine guns anymore....and numerous other things that laid detail to the first games of CM.

it is a shame that battlefront didnt put more effort into the latest games.

Another thing that is a bummer is you no longer have the screen where you could click on the unit and get its angle degree of armour and thinkness and also the penetration rates of the tanks gun over different ranges whenever you click ENTER on that unit....That was one hell of a usefull page and they did away with it?? just not getting it myself.

I am disapointed overall compared to the old games, the old games graphics may have been less detailed but the games themselves seem alot more playable.
09-19-2012, 06:14 AM,
(09-18-2012, 11:25 AM)CaptPoobar Wrote: One of the things that drew me to combat mission 10 odd years ago was the fact it represented all the actual units in the respective theatre's of war. After a break of 6 years or so from playing Cm x 1 CMBB and CMAK I have only just gotten back into the Cm action again. I must say that i am pretty disapointed that they have left so much out in CMBN and CMFI like the flake guns on both sides... no 50 cal machine guns anymore....and numerous other things that laid detail to the first games of CM.

Another thing that is a bummer is you no longer have the screen where you could click on the unit and get its angle degree of armour and thinkness and also the penetration rates of the tanks gun over different ranges whenever you click ENTER on that unit....That was one hell of a usefull page and they did away with it?? just not getting it myself.

I am disapointed overall compared to the old games, the old games graphics may have been less detailed but the games themselves seem alot more playable.

Didn't put more effort into their latest CM games? You've got to be kidding me. IMHO, you haven't played enough yet to really appreciate the detail that HAS gone into these games. Just because those flak guns are not in now doesn't mean they won't be put in later. New features are coming with upgrades as BF figures how to impliment them within the game engine. As far as that weapon detail page you are talking about, yeah, I'd like to see that too. Maybe in an upgrade as this engine matures but to say no effort was put into this game?

You take a look at this AAR. Read it, read the details going on and tell me then this game is a disapointment.

Battle for Hamel Valley AAR

IMHO, you are focussing specifically on a tree without looking at the forest as a whole.
09-19-2012, 06:21 AM,
(09-19-2012, 06:14 AM)enigma6584 Wrote:
(09-18-2012, 11:25 AM)CaptPoobar Wrote: One of the things that drew me to combat mission 10 odd years ago was the fact it represented all the actual units in the respective theatre's of war. After a break of 6 years or so from playing Cm x 1 CMBB and CMAK I have only just gotten back into the Cm action again. I must say that i am pretty disapointed that they have left so much out in CMBN and CMFI like the flake guns on both sides... no 50 cal machine guns anymore....and numerous other things that laid detail to the first games of CM.

Didn't put more effort into their latest CM games? You've got to be kidding me. IMHO, you haven't played enough yet to really appreciate the detail that HAS gone into these games. Just because those flak guns are not in now doesn't mean they won't be put in later. New features are coming with upgrades as BF figures how to impliment them within the game engine. As far as that weapon detail page you are talking about, yeah, I'd like to see that too. Maybe in an upgrade as this engine matures but to say no effort was put into this game?

You take a look at this AAR. Read it, read the details going on and tell me then this game is a disapointment.

IMHO, you are focussing specifically on a tree without looking at the forest as a whole.

I don't agree with you, and I think you are also seeing only the tree too. What he is stating is that the units are lacking, why have air if there is no way of combating them? Who will allow them really?, I won't anymore. The game is beautiful, the arty routine is great once you get use to it, but the tanks are far more deadly, perhaps too much so (remember the five panthers stopping an entire infantry battalion) the rarity system is a joke and the force purchase routine is a mess. So yes, they have some work to do and sure they will pump out add on packs, but they won't be free.
09-19-2012, 08:32 AM,
(09-19-2012, 06:21 AM)Weasel Wrote:
(09-19-2012, 06:14 AM)enigma6584 Wrote:

I don't agree with you, and I think you are also seeing only the tree too. What he is stating is that the units are lacking, why have air if there is no way of combating them? Who will allow them really?, I won't anymore. The game is beautiful, the arty routine is great once you get use to it, but the tanks are far more deadly, perhaps too much so (remember the five panthers stopping an entire infantry battalion) the rarity system is a joke and the force purchase routine is a mess. So yes, they have some work to do and sure they will pump out add on packs, but they won't be free.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then.