• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMx1 player's guide to CMx2
08-26-2012, 09:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM by raz_atoth.)
CMx1 player's guide to CMx2
This will be some sort of on-going guide written for those of you fairly experienced with CMx1 who are just making the big jump to CMx2.

Everyone is welcome to add items on the list in the likely case i'll miss something...Big Grin

Let's start with the big 3:

1) Arty is your best friend.

Long forgotten are the days when the smaller stuff (50/51/60/81mm mortars) could-at best-just suppress your opponent's troops. Now,they are deadly! A 60mm mortar can easily destroy-or at least-seriously deplete the enemy platoon that has just come into los. Use it in direct or indirect fire mode,the results are guaranteed.
In CMx2 every HQ unit can call an arty strike,so you're not restricted to using a FO for your precious batteries.

2) Armor does a fine job at killing infantry

You don't really need to purchase Priests/STUHs or other AFVs with big guns,unless you're dealing with bunkers/strongly fortified positions. For any other purposes the regular armor does great when it comes to killing pixeltruupen.

3) STUGs are overpriced

Sure,in CMx1 QBs you'd see Stugs all the time. They were cheap like dirt and the front armor could bounce off the shell of a T34/76.
In a CMx2 QB a stug costs about 300pts. A Pz IV costs about 250pts. A Panther can be purchased for about 350pts. There is no reason-i can account for-to purchase a stug over a PzIV which has a turret,carries more ammo and dies just as fast if hit by 75mm shells.

4) Don't waste HE on collapsing buildings

..because it isn't as easy as destroying a russian izba on the russian front. .. In CMx1 a minute fire with a 75mm gun could collapse a building and kill everyone unlucky to be inside. In CMx2 you'll need more than a minute and an appreciable number of HE sheels to bring down even a small house. Direct fire by tanks on troops inside houses already causes considerable casualties so don't waste ammo with the express purpose of collapsing it.

5) Bazookas/Panzershreks can't be fired from buildings

Take this important fact into consideration when planning your defence. The exception from the above is the PIAT which can be fired even from inside houses.

6) Pay attention to where doors/windows are placed

Infantry can get inside buildings only from the sides where doors are placed,not from any side. Infantry inside buildings can fire only if there are windows on the particular direction they're trying to fire.

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2012, 10:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2012, 10:02 PM by s_cm.)
RE: CMx1 player's guide to CMx2
3 and 5 are good to know when using German side. And effective use of arty and onmap mortars is a very important skill in this game. How to make sure your FOW has communication contact to mortars.
08-27-2012, 04:17 AM,
Yeah i'm beginning to regret buying Stug's in our game.....so far they havent really done a whole lot except die!!!! lol

Can an arty mission thats already been called be be adjusted like in the CM x1 games?

TTFN
08-27-2012, 05:00 AM,
Yes,it can,but i'm not sure under which circumstances it can be adjusted. Sometimes i see that option,sometimes not,but arty can definitely by adjusted. Here's what i found in the manual:

Now that the Spotter is selected, the Mission can be Adjusted or Cancelled in the Support Panel as long as the C2 link to the Asset is still intact! Yes, that’s correct... if you have artillery raining down on your own troops and you want to cancel the mission, but suddenly find the Spotter has no C2, you’re in trouble. There is no way to manually Adjust or Cancel the mission at this point. This is yet another example of why it is so very important to select a good Spotter!
Send this user an email
08-27-2012, 06:17 AM,
Ahhh thats handy to know, i felt sure you must be able to do it as the old CM x1 games also had the feature.

TTFN