• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What are you currently reading?
08-24-2012, 07:11 AM,
RE: What are you currently reading?
"I would really like to know if there is anything, multi volume or not, that would cover the French in Indochina in great detail from pre ww2 through to 1954. I have "Street without Joy", but feel there are a lot of things left out. I would also like to find a good detailed book covering U.S. there from start to finsh. Don't know if either of them exist yet, but still looking."

Hell In A Very Small Place: The Siege Of Dien Bien Phu by Bernanrd Fall, although it covers the fateful siege it is an EXCELLENT read.
'Pedites Pugnas Decernent'
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2012, 01:35 AM,
(08-24-2012, 07:11 AM)grofaz Wrote: "I would really like to know if there is anything, multi volume or not, that would cover the French in Indochina in great detail from pre ww2 through to 1954. I have "Street without Joy", but feel there are a lot of things left out. I would also like to find a good detailed book covering U.S. there from start to finsh. Don't know if either of them exist yet, but still looking."

Hell In A Very Small Place: The Siege Of Dien Bien Phu by Bernanrd Fall, although it covers the fateful siege it is an EXCELLENT read.

I know. I have it and have read it 6 or 7 times. It's one of those books that is just harf to put down once you get into the action.
08-25-2012, 06:16 AM,
Something much darker is The Devils Guard by Robert Elford. The "true" story of German SS POWs serving in the Foreign Legion in Indochina. Wether it's true or not it is one of those books that is hard to put down. I bought my copy back in the mid 80s while serving in the Army. it has since been in and out of print.

NOTE: There is great controversy regarding the veracity of this book, but as I said before this story will stay with you for a long time. Nazis bayoneting sleeping Viet Minh in the jungles of Vietnam-hard to beat!
'Pedites Pugnas Decernent'
08-25-2012, 04:36 PM,
(08-16-2012, 04:36 AM)daisy Wrote: I am reading the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Re-reading them actually but in sequence this time round. This series traces the adventures of Richard Sharpe from the Indian campaign to Waterloo. Light historic reading, nothing more.

If anybody wants this series in kindle format let me know by pm. Would also be interested in what you have.

Did you ever watch Sharpe TV series featuring Sean Bean and if so how did you find it compared to the books.

244 games with legend that is Richie61
08-26-2012, 02:18 AM,
(08-25-2012, 06:16 AM)grofaz Wrote: Something much darker is The Devils Guard by Robert Elford. The "true" story of German SS POWs serving in the Foreign Legion in Indochina. Wether it's true or not it is one of those books that is hard to put down. I bought my copy back in the mid 80s while serving in the Army. it has since been in and out of print.

NOTE: There is great controversy regarding the veracity of this book, but as I said before this story will stay with you for a long time. Nazis bayoneting sleeping Viet Minh in the jungles of Vietnam-hard to beat!

I used to have this book as well as "The Devil's Guard II" where they were brought back but with no evidence of being tied to their Foreign Legion service or their identity as a whole. As for the reality of the books, it's hard to tell. I personally think it may be a bit of fact and fiction. One of the men brought back was located in a small asian nation as head of training their small army. He doesn't say what country, but my first thought was Nepal. One of these day, I might check into some of that stuff to see if I can find something, but will have to reacquire the books again. I loaned them to my Company Commander in the early 90s and never got them back.
08-26-2012, 07:24 AM,
For some more Indochina stuff, try foreign legion book by Porch, it's very good and and another book called 'March or Die' by a Tony ?? I can't remember his last name. Both good books on the Legion.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

08-26-2012, 10:23 AM,
@ Laza : No, did not even know that such a series about Richard Sharpe existed. Thanks, will try finding it.
08-26-2012, 05:43 PM,
(08-26-2012, 10:23 AM)daisy Wrote: @ Laza : No, did not even know that such a series about Richard Sharpe existed. Thanks, will try finding it.

No probs mate there least a dozen episodes made during 90s featuring him in Europe. Then a couple of years ago they made a couple of boys own type adventures of him in India. Not sure how faithful the productions are to the books.

If you check Sean Bean's filmography on IMDB. com you should be able track full list

244 games with legend that is Richie61
08-29-2012, 08:42 AM,
About halfway through Green Berets at War by Shelby Stanton. Some of the base camp battles might be a good area for scenarios. I was surprised at the part I'm in now about how many of the SFs and CIDG companies were thrown into battle as regular infantry during the Tet Offensive. Don't know how much info is out there for the camp battles.
09-02-2012, 04:11 AM,
Another good book on Vietnam is Vietnam: a complete chronicle of the war. Massive book, lots of maps and pics. Not a ton of minute detail, but a good book that covers the span post WWII through the end of the US war.

http://www.amazon.com/VIETNAM-COMPLETE-C...of+the+War
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4