• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What are you currently reading?
08-16-2012, 02:21 AM,
What are you currently reading?
Right now I'm starting two books, Nine Battles to Stanley and Chosin.

Also just picked up a used copy of The Encyclopedia of Tanks and Armored Fighting Vehicles which I browse here and there.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2012, 03:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2012, 03:28 AM by Marc Bellizzi.)
RE: What are you currently reading?
I have been slowly working my way through Jason Mark's 'Islands of Fire' which is an incredibly detailed read of the fight around the Red Barricades; it was a bit pricey, but I suppose with the sales volume since he self-publishes vs cost of his efforts, it is to be expected. It's worth it, for sure.

I wrote Mr Marks about some of the data he covers in his book and he sent me documents that helped me with the Stalingrad scenarios I built - some OOB info. I thought that was really nice of him.

I recently purchased a slew of Osprey books off Amazon that I have been reading off and on when I find time. If you check out Amazon, they have some rediculous deals on some titles. I mean like I got a brand new copy of the Okinawa title for $5, Saipan for $7; I'm waiting on the Guam book, I got that one for $3.00. Osprey's booklets usually go for almost $20 anywhere else. The Osprey series can be a bit light on details as far as scenario building goes, though, but any title by Gordon Rottman is usually chock full of details that can be used in scenario building.
08-16-2012, 03:30 AM,

I just finished a couple of good books Passchedaele by Fabio De Angelis and TO Conquer Hell: The Meuse Argonne 1918 by Edward G.Lengel and am almost done with this one The Somme :The Darkest hour on the Western Front.Then I have few more to read once im done with that last book.

I Agree with Marc you can find great Deals on Amazon I have had my kindle now for more than a year I love it have not bought a hard cover book since.
08-16-2012, 04:36 AM,
I am reading the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Re-reading them actually but in sequence this time round. This series traces the adventures of Richard Sharpe from the Indian campaign to Waterloo. Light historic reading, nothing more.

If anybody wants this series in kindle format let me know by pm. Would also be interested in what you have.

08-23-2012, 12:27 AM,

Finishing up "At Dawn De Slept", and about halfway thru "The Great Myths of the Great War"
08-23-2012, 02:30 AM,
Just recently finished "Hell in a Very Small Place" (Dien Bien Phu) and "Fire in the Streets" (Hue during Tet) and about 1/2 way through "We were Soldiers Once....and Young". All three pretty intense books. On a Vietnam kick at the moment. Usually my reading is mostly 80% ww2 with the rest shared between ACW, Korea, Vietnam and the odd book that catches my eye like "The History of the French Foreign Legion".
08-23-2012, 06:10 AM,
(08-23-2012, 02:30 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Just recently finished "Hell in a Very Small Place" (Dien Bien Phu) and "Fire in the Streets" (Hue during Tet) and about 1/2 way through "We were Soldiers Once....and Young". All three pretty intense books. On a Vietnam kick at the moment. Usually my reading is mostly 80% ww2 with the rest shared between ACW, Korea, Vietnam and the odd book that catches my eye like "The History of the French Foreign Legion".

All of those are fantastic books.

If you like Fall's book on DBP, read The Last Valley by Windrow. It is an equally good account of that battle.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-23-2012, 01:01 PM,
Reading some historical fiction about a Roman legionary but actually won a signed copy of September Hope that I will probably pick up next. It is the story of the American Airborne in Market Garden.
08-23-2012, 01:23 PM,
Samurai Warfare by Turnbull (re-reading) and a couple of Thomas Merton books...
'Pedites Pugnas Decernent'
08-24-2012, 02:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2012, 02:46 AM by Outlaw Josey Wales.)
(08-23-2012, 06:10 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 02:30 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Just recently finished "Hell in a Very Small Place" (Dien Bien Phu) and "Fire in the Streets" (Hue during Tet) and about 1/2 way through "We were Soldiers Once....and Young". All three pretty intense books. On a Vietnam kick at the moment. Usually my reading is mostly 80% ww2 with the rest shared between ACW, Korea, Vietnam and the odd book that catches my eye like "The History of the French Foreign Legion".

All of those are fantastic books.

If you like Fall's book on DBP, read The Last Valley by Windrow. It is an equally good account of that battle.

Thanks for the tip. Will have to look into that when I can. have not had any luck for something interesting at the book stores for quite some time now. Going to start looking online from here on out.
(08-23-2012, 01:01 PM)KG_RangerBooBoo Wrote: Reading some historical fiction about a Roman legionary but actually won a signed copy of September Hope that I will probably pick up next. It is the story of the American Airborne in Market Garden.

If you wish to expand further than Market-Garden, there is a book called "All American All the Way" about the complete history of the 82nd in ww2. It is a large book, but excellent! Would love to find more books about one division like this one and not limited to just American units. I also have the two volume set of the 12ss. I usually come across a similar book when times are very hard and long past memory when times aren't so bad. I will get lucky sooner or later. I know one thing I would love to find is the multi volume set of the U.S. military during ww2. It's something like 20 volumes that I have only rarely seen in the reference section in Public Libraries and not all them have it either. Living in a small town, there is nothing near at all.

I would really like to know if there is anything, multi volume or not, that would cover the French in Indochina in great detail from pre ww2 through to 1954. I have "Street without Joy", but feel there are a lot of things left out. I would also like to find a good detailed book covering U.S. there from start to finsh. Don't know if either of them exist yet, but still looking.