• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Individual units
07-07-2012, 10:14 AM,
RE: Individual units
Transport already does 1:2 for infantry type elements ie the standard 6SP platoon fits now in 3 trucks.
And as for platoons < 6SP, in the scen editor you can reduce anything down to SP 1.
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2012, 10:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2012, 01:08 PM by XLVIII Pz. Korp.)
I tried something like this once but in the opposite direction.

In order to reflect the early war inability of Soviet armor to communicate and coordinate within the unit I combined armored platoons into companies, forcing the platoons to conform to company C&C; three 3SP T-34 platoons = one 9 SP T-34 company, three 5 SP T-26 platoons changed to one 15 SP T-26 company, etc.

On one hand the effects "felt" historic in that the early war Soviet was unable to duplicate German cut and thrust manuevers, units were unable to spread out, and manuever became "sluggish", however on the other hand since JTCS models unit fire with a die roll for each attacking strength point one did not want to be on the recg. end of a 15 SP KV I attack Big Laugh

Just sayin
07-07-2012, 10:57 AM,
Of course this is do-able, but it would have a number of implications....

As one example one could use low ammo effect on firing....

At the moment when unit fires then (according to my understanding of the manual) the program conducts a number of attacks equal to the attacking unit’s Strength Points. Now when a unit is low on supply the number of SP taken for the attack is halved.... At the moment unit with 1SP and low on ammo still has "1 attack" ( I cannot see half an attack so I assume it is rounded up to 1 as one is always able to fire a shot with 1SP platoon)... However platoon with more SPs pays the price of being low on ammo, i.e. 2SP platoon low on ammo willeffectively act as 1SP for firing?

Now, when we split platoons into single 1SP units then the low supply will not have any effect, i.e. 1SP unit low on ammo will still fire a shot.

Another example could be leaders... take the situation of 3 tank platoon and a leader. Leader at a cost of fire (say 35AP for t-34) adds to fire of 3 tanks (i.e. 3SP means 3 attack as above) now when we have 3 of 1SP tank platoons than the leader will be able to support only for instance 2 shots for 1 tank (1SP) before running out of APs.... Quite a difference in my view....

So, agreed it is do-able but there can be a significant impact on number of other things and I think would possibly need some tweak to the game engine? Just my $0.02....