• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

RS "The Battle of Hainan Island" - Need One Playtester!
07-05-2012, 11:07 AM,
RE: RS "The Battle of Hainan Island" - Need One Playtester!
I too appreciate the work of the designers (for all the games) and enjoy the non standard PTO battles.
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2012, 01:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012, 01:06 AM by Kool Kat.)
(07-05-2012, 10:56 AM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: For reasons totally incomprehensible to me, RS seems to be held in some degree of contempt by many CS devotees.

Hey Rod: Smoke7

You make an interesting point!

I'm not sure if it's actual "contempt"... or more so either a lack of "interest" or even "knowledge" of the Pacific Theater... that turns players "off" to Rising Sun? Idea2

IMO, for players to "like" and "play" RS scenarios, folks must accept the following elements found in the majority of RS scenarios:

Tank enthusiasts - don't bother! Predominately infantry battles with few (if any) AFVs or motorized transport. Japanese armor (when available) consists of tankettes and small AFVs with weak firepower and thin armor.

Night owls - Hoot! Many Pacific Theater battles were fought at night and the RS scenarios reflect that aspect. So, you should be either a fan or someone who can "tolerate" some night skirmishes.

Surf's up! Beach landings were the norm and feature in many RS scenarios - early war period it was the Japanese who were landing on the beaches... while later war period, the Americans were riding in on the waves. Again, folks should enjoy beach landings and logistics to get more out of RS scenarios.

And be able to tolerate (or don't use) a couple of "broken" elements in RS.

Ouch, I stubbed my toe! I've tried to design some RS scenarios that featured "Cave Movement," but have come against the Cave Movement bug, reported in earlier CS versions. Hopefully, it gets addressed and fixed in the next update.

Banzai! - No! The treatment of Banzai in RS is wrong. It needs to be completely revised to reflect what it actually should depict - a desperate, and last ditch suicide charge by Japanese troops - and NOT a calculated infantry tactic, to be utilized by the Japanese, multiple times in a battle. Frankly, after a Banzai charge, there were NO Japanese troops left alive to conduct additional attacks! Hopefully, Banzai gets addressed and fixed in the next update.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
07-06-2012, 04:32 AM,
I'm not sure there is general contempt for RS. Confused

West Front - 754 scenarios in the data base
East Front - 608 scenarios in the data base
Rising Sun - 204 scenarios in the data base

If anything, it tells me that scenarios are what drive the interest.
Which has been my thought all along about the longevity of CS as an "ancient" computer game system. Cigar4

Though, I find EF more played. That may be due to the mystique of the Russian front and the fact that more PBEM [h2h] scenarios are designed for it.
West Front had a bend toward playing versus the AI. Which came from the earliest of the Talonsoft brain trust.

Rising Sun has both the least amount of scenarios and the least balanced scenarios of all three. And, I agree with Mike's comments on the "style" of RS scenarios. They often are not what players want to play? Helpless

Just a thought. Idea2

Cheers6

HSL
07-06-2012, 12:21 PM,
The Chinese are acting pretty weak at this early stage.
07-06-2012, 03:46 PM,
Contempt might have been too strong a word. Your thoughts make sense, Mike. A once-only banzai charge seems a good idea.

I must have a personal freshness problem...I'm still awaiting an opponent to test this game.
07-06-2012, 05:43 PM,
I'll send you a turn shortly - had a few PC issues.

I think that the reason for the lack of RS games is due to the smallish number of scenarios in the stock download.
07-06-2012, 06:59 PM,
(07-06-2012, 05:43 PM)Wolfman Wrote: I'll send you a turn shortly - had a few PC issues.

I think that the reason for the lack of RS games is due to the smallish number of scenarios in the stock download.

Roger.