• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Possible F14 tourney?
07-24-2012, 12:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM by Volcano Man.)
RE: Possible F14 tourney?
Well, it all depends on the tournament too. I recall playing in one where every match was mirror match played simultaneously, and another which had one set of users always on one side, and the other set of users always on the other side, and the best X number of results of both sides were taken to advance. So, you don't have to do straight up "whoever wins the scenario gets a gold star and advances" approach. Who's to say that the best results of both sides advance, then the final game is mirrored. Options galore. ;)

And speaking of Antwerp, I have played each one PBEM against Foul and I believe they were either close results or draws. So it could be that you played one in 1.0, they were tweaked a bit since then. Mons should be winnable too, but as Foul said it all depends on who you play. I think F14 PBEM results can vary wildly depending on who you play, more than any other series. You may play someone and it won't be anything close, then play someone else and get a draw. And it is pretty well acknowledged that the offensive is very difficult to master.

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2012, 12:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012, 12:36 PM by jonnymacbrown.)
"And speaking of Antwerp, I have played each one PBEM against Foul and I believe they were either close results or draws. So it could be that you played one in 1.0, they were tweaked a bit since then."

Yes I played it in 1.0 and every time it seemed I might have a chance as Belgians, some outfit got fixed.

"Mons should be winnable too, but as Foul said it all depends on who you play."

I've played Mons twice but didn't record the results as my opponent wasn't on the ladder. The Allies won victories in both; in bloodbaths. But that was two years ago.

"And it is pretty well acknowledged that the offensive is very difficult to master."

The offense isn't anything like PzC. I've had some good games as the French playing D, and my opponents were, it seems to me, always looking for a breakthrough but I don't think you can get them in this game; at least not like in PzC. There aren't any tanks! TEEHEE

07-25-2012, 04:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2012, 04:10 AM by Volcano Man.)
Right, breakthroughs are probably not possible, unless done with a cavalry corps, but as with anything it all depends on what the enemy does. If the enemy is uncooperative, then no, you will get no breakthrough, ever. However, it is certainly possible to destroy large parts of another side's army, which will open the door for things that were previously not possible (now that a couple of corps are missing from the ORBAT). In regards to the campaign, if you can destroy a large potion of the French Army and still not win on VPs then obviously the VP levels WILL be changed. The trouble is that it takes years to figure out what all game play possibilities are. ;) If someone has campaign results then I welcome those to be emailed to me for evaluation.

Other than that, it is all speculative with each situation being different because the unfolding situation is probably something like: 40% due to what the attacker does, 40% due to what the defender does, and 10% luck.

But let's go back to the thread's topic... (tournament)
Send this user an email
07-25-2012, 05:49 AM,
(07-25-2012, 04:06 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: 40% due to what the attacker does, 40% due to what the defender does, and 10% luck.

Math fail. :-)
07-25-2012, 06:03 AM,
(07-25-2012, 05:49 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(07-25-2012, 04:06 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: 40% due to what the attacker does, 40% due to what the defender does, and 10% luck.

Math fail. :-)

Whoops, I guess I typed too fast. Hmm, no, it is intentional actually: there are 10% unaccounted for for "other things", you know like playing your turn too fast. Yeah that is it. Crazy

Send this user an email
07-25-2012, 06:27 AM,
"I recall playing in one where every match was mirror match played simultaneously, and another which had one set of users always on one side, and the other set of users always on the other side, and the best X number of results of both sides were taken to advance."

Would you please explain this in a bit more detail? Perhaps with an example? Thanx jonny LOL

07-25-2012, 07:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2012, 07:02 AM by Volcano Man.)
(07-25-2012, 06:27 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: "I recall playing in one where every match was mirror match played simultaneously, and another which had one set of users always on one side, and the other set of users always on the other side, and the best X number of results of both sides were taken to advance."

Would you please explain this in a bit more detail? Perhaps with an example? Thanx jonny LOL

Well, it was about five (or six?) years ago now, so I don't recall the details. But I am thinking of one of the PzC campaigns (it could have been the one for Normandy '44), back when we had a lot of campaigns going on. Anyone remember these and recall any details?

Send this user an email