• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Hi from Wigam
08-13-2012, 03:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM by wigam.)
RE: Hi from Wigam
(08-12-2012, 04:42 AM)Weasel Wrote: Did you notice the bullet holes in the wire stake?

Yeah, the holes are incoming from the direction of the Japanese when they started to push the Marines back along the ridge.
(08-12-2012, 10:38 AM)Greybeard Wrote: Hello MArcus,

Awesome stuff.. since I'm an aircraft nut, I couldn't help but notice that the Wildcat was an early F4F-3 model.. only 2 guns per wing.. the -4's increased to 3 guns.. the -3 was present at Midway and Guadalcanal with the -4's coming in to service in late '42..

The USMC used -3's almost exclusively as the USN were on the priority list for the newest gear..

from the marking and the -3 model, this wildcat was likely one of the early participants at Guadalcanal.. The red center in the US star went away during the battles of oct/nov.. too bad you couldn't show any other markings that might have been left on the fuselage. a VMF-?? would have been a USMC aircraft.. a 8-F-? would have originated from the USS Hornet, a 6-F-? from the Enterprise, and a 9-F-? from the Wasp.. the only 3 US carriers that saw action at the time in August 1942 to Feb 1943 when the USS Essex arrived on station.. Wasp and Hornet were losses..

thanks for sharing..

Greybeard

Greybeard my friend. So good to hear from you, I see you like myself are having a break from gaming as real life does what it does. Good to hear from you.

But as for the Wildcat, you have my interest now. There are no marking on the fusealage, time and weather have done their part on them. But where else can i look for an indication of its origin. The story is that it was put out of action in the skys over Henderson and not repaired due to new air frames arriving. But I would love to know about it. Did the same with the Sherman tank named "Jesabel". Took its serial number and did some searching and found out its history.

If you might give me some clues I will head back to the museum and have a closer inpsection.

And guys this place is amazing for this sort of stuff. Will post some images of a museum where locals bring items they find in the jungle to a ex pat. he pays them and puts them on display.

Im off to see the location of John Basilone's MG pit during the battle where he won his Medal of Honor. Heard a rumor that his missing aspestos glove was found in the hole, but Im more inclined to think it could be anyones. But still a good story.
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2012, 09:48 AM,
undefined
08-17-2012, 09:18 AM,
(08-13-2012, 03:06 PM)wigam Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 04:42 AM)Weasel Wrote: Did you notice the bullet holes in the wire stake?

Yeah, the holes are incoming from the direction of the Japanese when they started to push the Marines back along the ridge.
(08-12-2012, 10:38 AM)Greybeard Wrote: Hello MArcus,

Awesome stuff.. since I'm an aircraft nut, I couldn't help but notice that the Wildcat was an early F4F-3 model.. only 2 guns per wing.. the -4's increased to 3 guns.. the -3 was present at Midway and Guadalcanal with the -4's coming in to service in late '42..

The USMC used -3's almost exclusively as the USN were on the priority list for the newest gear..

from the marking and the -3 model, this wildcat was likely one of the early participants at Guadalcanal.. The red center in the US star went away during the battles of oct/nov.. too bad you couldn't show any other markings that might have been left on the fuselage. a VMF-?? would have been a USMC aircraft.. a 8-F-? would have originated from the USS Hornet, a 6-F-? from the Enterprise, and a 9-F-? from the Wasp.. the only 3 US carriers that saw action at the time in August 1942 to Feb 1943 when the USS Essex arrived on station.. Wasp and Hornet were losses..

thanks for sharing..

Greybeard

Greybeard my friend. So good to hear from you, I see you like myself are having a break from gaming as real life does what it does. Good to hear from you.

But as for the Wildcat, you have my interest now. There are no marking on the fusealage, time and weather have done their part on them. But where else can i look for an indication of its origin. The story is that it was put out of action in the skys over Henderson and not repaired due to new air frames arriving. But I would love to know about it. Did the same with the Sherman tank named "Jesabel". Took its serial number and did some searching and found out its history.

If you might give me some clues I will head back to the museum and have a closer inpsection.

And guys this place is amazing for this sort of stuff. Will post some images of a museum where locals bring items they find in the jungle to a ex pat. he pays them and puts them on display.

Im off to see the location of John Basilone's MG pit during the battle where he won his Medal of Honor. Heard a rumor that his missing aspestos glove was found in the hole, but Im more inclined to think it could be anyones. But still a good story.

Hello Marcus,

Hmm.. there should be a serial number plate attached to the reduction gear housing on the engine (that's where the prop shaft sticks out).. this will at least give the serial number of the engine.. from the look of the picture, the front of the engine still looks pretty intact.. engine was likely a Pratt-Whitney R1830.. which is what was installed in the -3 Wildcats... another possible spot would be in the cockpit area.. possibly on the instrument panel.. I'll try and do a little searching and see if I can find the mfr plate location

Cheers!
Greybeard
10-22-2012, 11:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-22-2012, 11:27 PM by wigam.)
Well im a qualified diver now and its opened up the places i can go on Guadalcanal to find war relics.

Dived on several Japanese merchant ships that were ran aground after being caught by the catus airforce in the slot. They have taken a beating but after 70 years they still look amazing and great to dive.

Also today i dived the Japanese submarine I-1, sunk by two New Zealand mine sweepers (so proud). Was a awesome dive and had a great time.

[Image: DSC08864.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0238.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0241.jpg]
Send this user an email
10-23-2012, 05:59 AM,
You lucky, lucky boy!! Big Grin

Keep us updated on your next adventure........Wink
11-02-2012, 10:36 AM,
That's wicked bro!
One of these days I'll get my into scuba. My partner is quite experienced now. She'd love to diver where you are.
Lucky!!!!

Keep it safe eh.
Cheers

Walrus
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
11-20-2012, 03:04 PM,
Hi again

Been a busy time diving over the last few days. Dived the Toa maru, a WW II Japanese cargo passenger vessel sunk off the town of Gizo. Was attacked by some Dauntless Dive bombers and some Wildcat fighters. They torpedoed the Toa Maru and holed her on her prot side, which apparently didnt do too much damage. The lack of apparent damage infuriated one of the wildcat squandron leaders who ordered his section to strafe the ship. As they completed the run the rear holds erupted into flame. The ship carried on and sunk in about 37 m of water. Amazing dive.

Here is the wreck plan of the Toa Maru
[Image: DSC09098.jpg]

Here are some shots of the wreck, pretty amazing but sadly the pics dont do it justice. We were able to swim into all 6 cargo holds which all still hold cargo. The 3rd hold has a Type 95 tank and truck in there, still some gas masks and saki bottles.

Gas masks
[Image: PICT0037.jpg]

Saki Bottles
[Image: PICT0053.jpg]

Superstructure
[Image: PICT0046.jpg]

Also dived a Japanese Zero fighter. It ditched in about 10 m after a gun battle. The rear end has come off and sits about 4 - 5 m behind the main body. I sat in the cockpit. Amazing.

Zero Engine
[Image: PICT0164.jpg]

Me in the cockpit
[Image: PICT0161.jpg]

Then the next day i dove on a F-6 Hellcat. Ditched after the pilot had become an ace, sadly shot down by his own wingmen. Bailed out before it went in and was rescued by natives who smuglled him back to Henderson.

Hellcat Cocpit
[Image: PICT00122.jpg]

Hellcat Engine
[Image: PICT00142.jpg]

Maverick back at the controls
[Image: PICT00242.jpg]
Send this user an email
11-20-2012, 11:01 PM,
Very awesome stuff Wigam!

BTW, Darran wants to know why you didn't where your Blitz shirt while diving? [Image: 2737e1cf36scuba%20diver.gif]
11-21-2012, 08:58 AM,
Wow! That's intense!
Great pics and info Marcus.
Thanks very much for sharing with us.
You are really making the most of your deployment bro...good for you!
Keep it safe eh.
Chur!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
11-21-2012, 03:54 PM,
Superb! Man, you are in heaven!

How come those pieces are not covered in coral or buried in stuff? It's 70 years and they look like 10 year old wrecks at most.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]