• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Multiple penetrations to get a kill?
05-03-2012, 02:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2012, 02:49 AM by raz_atoth.)
Multiple penetrations to get a kill?
ok,i'll admit from the beginning that i didn't run any tests that's just from what i've observed in my games.. Still,does anyone else feel than more often not you need to score multiple penetrations on enemy armor before you knock it? I was under the impression that,historically speaking,in most cases,the first hit usually destroyed the enemy AFV?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2012, 03:27 AM,
RE: Multiple penetrations to get a kill?
It depends on a lot of things i think, calibre of the weapon, armor thickness and slope, crew ability. I watched some documentary's where Allied crews would bail out on the first hit even if the initial round didn't fully penetrate because chances are the second one would. On that same token I read a story of a Panther crew on the Eastern front that was holding a corner for over two days taking consistent fire from Russian tanks it didn't specify what types of tanks, something around 30 rounds hit the tank over the course and the crew only decided to bail out when the sun was starting to shine through where the armor welded plate was starting to give way.

Also in another video crews from very early Panzer II tanks if i remember correctly, were not thrilled about being in them because a frontal hit around the driver port or gun port would shatter the whole front plate shredding the crew. Just found this the other day by luck so i'll share it with anyone who is interested:

Effective Range, Penetration Charts Those are historical charts so one can only guess how they were implemented with the game. But id say the basic principles apply to the game from those charts.
05-03-2012, 01:11 PM,
It happens to me all the time, even in the old versions, I rarely get a 1 shot 1 kill.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
05-03-2012, 04:22 PM,
(05-03-2012, 03:27 AM)rampantone Wrote: It depends on a lot of things i think, calibre of the weapon, armor thickness and slope, crew ability. I watched some documentary's where Allied crews would bail out on the first hit even if the initial round didn't fully penetrate because chances are the second one would. On that same token I read a story of a Panther crew on the Eastern front that was holding a corner for over two days taking consistent fire from Russian tanks it didn't specify what types of tanks, something around 30 rounds hit the tank over the course and the crew only decided to bail out when the sun was starting to shine through where the armor welded plate was starting to give way.

Also in another video crews from very early Panzer II tanks if i remember correctly, were not thrilled about being in them because a frontal hit around the driver port or gun port would shatter the whole front plate shredding the crew. Just found this the other day by luck so i'll share it with anyone who is interested:

Effective Range, Penetration Charts Those are historical charts so one can only guess how they were implemented with the game. But id say the basic principles apply to the game from those charts.

Probably that Panther you mentioned was hit by light stuff,like 45mm shells or AT rifles,which bounced off without penetrating.
In my case,i'm speaking of hits which result in penetrations.For example i just seen a Sherman Firefly taking 5 or 6 hits from a Marder and managing to pop some smoke and retreat to safety.
And it's not just Shermans(or panthers/tigers etc). I've seen AFVs with paper thin armor like the marder or M10 surviving after being hit.
Now,i'm not saying it can't happen. I'm just saying it happens far more often than it should happen.

Send this user an email
05-04-2012, 07:56 AM,
On a reverse note, I was recently playing a game where one of my German AP rounds passed through one Cromwell and penetrated a second Cromwell, positioned on a line behind the first Cromwell. Two kills with one shot. I know it has nothing to do with your topic, but fun to recall.
05-04-2012, 06:37 PM,
(05-03-2012, 04:22 PM)raz_atoth Wrote: Probably that Panther you mentioned was hit by light stuff,like 45mm shells or AT rifles,which bounced off without penetrating.
In my case,i'm speaking of hits which result in penetrations.For example i just seen a Sherman Firefly taking 5 or 6 hits from a Marder and managing to pop some smoke and retreat to safety.

Are you talking about my Firefly? Big Grin

Yes, that was quite strange, it had about 5 hull penetrations and lost only it's optics and maybe 1 crew member.

05-07-2012, 10:01 PM,
Yes,indeed,it was your firefly i was talking about Big Grin
I noticed at the end of our game that two of the crew members were dead,but except for some minor damage [optics and smoke mortar] it was perfectly combat able.
Quite amazing ;)
Send this user an email
05-08-2012, 04:41 AM,
(05-07-2012, 10:01 PM)raz_atoth Wrote: Yes,indeed,it was your firefly i was talking about Big Grin
I noticed at the end of our game that two of the crew members were dead,but except for some minor damage [optics and smoke mortar] it was perfectly combat able.
Quite amazing ;)

I think that having its optics destroyed is as good as destroyed concerning its AT capabilities.
05-08-2012, 04:42 PM,
Not really. In the same game i had a panther which had it's optics destroyed and this didn't stop it from knocking out 4 of zufzuf's tanks :) Probably losing the optics will somehow degrade the spotting abilities/accuracy,but other than that you have a perfectly functioning AFV.
Send this user an email