• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opponent for Waterloo 007
07-04-2012, 11:54 PM,
RE: Opponent for Waterloo 007
Just to be clear, what I really want to see and what would be a great asset to the community is a set of your scenarios that use the plain vanilla version of the Waterloo game engine. As for the units.bmp numbering list, I'd really like to get my hands on that myself because I'm about to revise my Waterloo mod that used to be up on the SDC website.

As for Eckmuhl, the carabiniers were the first thing that I changed when I made that unpublished mod back in the day. And they were the first thing that I changed when I made the published version that ended up at SDC. As it happens, I've just revisited that mod and made it look a bit more like my Leipzig and 1814 mods. I haven't used a special symbol for the horse artillery, though, because the Bavarians and Italians only use a single artillery symbol for foot and horse. The alternative, I suppose, is to use the horse and cannon for the French and the Austrians but not the Bavarians and Italians. I really, really hate the hobgoblin of little minds (which seems to have me in thrall).
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2012, 12:55 AM,
What do you mean by a set of my scenarios that use the plain vanilla version of the Waterloo game engine, Phillipe?

07-05-2012, 01:00 AM,
Warren,

OOPS! You're right about the .dat file. I suggest you make the bmp numbering file you're looking for, no one else is going to (I suppose), and not many will ever see your creation if it involves too much switching out files, etc. Just the nature of the beast.

al
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
07-05-2012, 03:32 AM,
(07-05-2012, 12:55 AM)FM WarB Wrote: What do you mean by a set of my scenarios that use the plain vanilla version of the Waterloo game engine, Phillipe?

Scenario files that anyone can play by just adding them to the game.

So if someone doesn't know you from Adam, it won't require a leap of faith to get them to play one of your scenarios. I get asked to make that same leap of faith several times a day by e-mails in my spam folder that ask me to click on links.

I realize that this means temporarily moving away from company-sized units, but I think what is needed is for someone (or perhaps a team of someones) to go through the official scenarios and either give them the good housekeeping seal of approval, or come up with an alternate scenario that has a stronger basis in history. What I'm talking about is something like Volcano Man's _alt scenarios for Panzer Campaigns. And if you're operating in that context, there's room for alternate oob's that don't replace the standard ones.

Before we get too hot and bothered about this though, I could have sworn Rich Hamilton was thinking about reviewing the scenarios at one point. Don't know where he got to with that (or if he still has time for it), but I would think a project like this might work better if it ran through him.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
07-05-2012, 04:44 AM,
Philippe,

My scenarios have squadrons in the cavalry and split up the large battalions. The Prussian army is put in its historical Treffe organization. My howitzers are all howitzers, differentiated from guns. One thing ready for an engine update. I don't see how they could be my scenarios if I used stock oobs and weapon.dat files.

I remind players that the stock game files are always retrievable on the game disk, if you haven't saved them elsewhere before looking at my scenarios. Fair warning, though: you may get used to looking at my units.bmp over the stock version. If I ever see an official units.bmp list, I may provide one in my style that is compatible, and expanded to provide all icons shown in current version.

Some changes to these scenarios, and perhaps new ones will happen after the next engine update.

WB

07-05-2012, 08:17 AM,
WB,

Use your oob file for sure, but use the stock image files. Now for the pdt file make one of your own, they can have unique names, but for the dat file ... if you have to add weapons then add them but keep all the original dat information the same that way when someone plays a stock scenario all will appear normal, and when they play yours they will see any new weapons you feel was needed, and with your pdt file they will get the feel you're looking for.

I like the Prussian treffe set up. Nice feel and very historical. For the British bns, instead of labelling G-4 and 5-V I would recommend Right Wing and Left Wing that was the historical nomenclature found in the histories and the manuals. Fortunately for the French in this campaign thier bns are small enough to remain the same. The Glory Years French are somewhat problematical, as I've not seen refences of them breaking bns into wings (ala British) or massen (ala Austrians).
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
07-05-2012, 11:54 PM,
Al,
Anyone who wants to units.bmp number my oobs according to the stock art numbering scheme (whatever that is) to play my scenarios with the stock art is certainly able to do so. I'd like that list, however for my purposes, which is to promote my units.bmp style, not the stock version, which I don't like.

I'm one step ahead, in anticipation of an engine update having howitzers. When we get our number of weapon types doubled with the update, I'm sure a new (expanded) weapon.dat file can be made that will be good for everyone.
WB

07-06-2012, 09:22 AM,
WB,

Well, if your stated purpose is to show off, or promote your units.bmp, then YOU should take the time to number the stock pics and set it up. No one is going to promote your stuff for you.... for free.

But it's your work be stubborn if you like, but please don't wonder why many don't look into your work, if you're not trying to make it easy for them.

al
Al Amos
07-06-2012, 01:17 PM,
These things are always a work in progress (sometimes waiting on engine updates). Who knows what the future holds?