• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Anyone know what SB games are in the works?
03-10-2012, 04:12 AM,
RE: Anyone know what SB games are in the works?
If they could somehow incorporate Thomas the Tank Engine, my kids would totally play it.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2012, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-10-2012, 07:51 AM by -72-.)

..although if it matters - I would want something along the lines of Squad Battles: Hockey's Bench Clearing Brawls of the 70's ... Whip
Bydand
Send this user an email
03-10-2012, 01:30 PM,
Squad Battles: Teletubbies.
'Pedites Pugnas Decernent'
03-10-2012, 02:09 PM,
(03-09-2012, 06:53 PM)Dog829 Wrote: Congratulations!!! Most of you have just qualified as White House Press Secretary interns. Except for Trauth. Trauth spoketh the Trueth.
Thank You Trauth.

I think I wiped out my reply to this - all I can say is that at Wargamer.com that their new messageboard's 'search' function doesn't work for me. Their DB conversion messed up all sorts of dates, and I can't find the original thread to which I referred to. I do remember it in that the discussion had turned to being about the SB user manual, and it was at a point in time where I was not familiar with it (to the point of having paid that much attention to it). The discussion turned to someone's conjecture that there might be a screenshot indicating an American Civil War title - so I had a look, and posted my observation that it was actually a 1914 French uniform, as the unit in question was armed with a Lebel rifle (standard French issue in WWI).

I didn't expect Rich to post, but he did- and confirmed that title being in development. And of course Rich happens to be project manager for all of the SB titles, as far as I am aware. But he did -- but that just is a 'what' - it says nothing at all about 'when'.

I don't run a news site (thankfully) --too much gossip out there anyways ... but in this instance it just comes down to sources -- knowing who to read, and where to read them ( if they post in public- it is fair game (which is also what I have been led to believe is accurate). In this case it was something posted by the project manager - but I'll be darned if I can't actually prove it at this point.

Bydand
Send this user an email
03-11-2012, 01:25 AM,
There should be no SBs titles before Spanish Civil War or for sure WW2, just doesn't make sense. The squad wasn't much of a focus until WW2 and beyond. You haven't even gotten all of WW2 covered yet. There is still eary war areas to cover plus a title to cover French, British have yet to come out. Then there are real possibilities that cover battles like SB Market Garden or Bulge or Normandy etc etc where you can have some larger battles that I am sure some people would play them. Market Garden could have scenarios that cover bns over different areas and eventually into bdes/rgts or even divisions if somebody wants to play those. You make a bn sized scenario for 1/505th, then another for 2/505, then 3/505th, then link them together and you have a scenario for the 505th. So you might have a start to finish like in Brit 1 AB area and the scenario might be hundreds of turns, so what. If the product is good, people will play them. It would be a new area to challenge people or a try it you'll like it thing. If you really want to know, make one for testing and see how it goes. I would love to see somebody do a good Battle of Jerusalem 67 and there are plenty other areas to do. Of course there would have to be some sort of replcement and resupply worked in somehow, but I think would be well worth it. So many areas to cover would definitely extend the series where it belongs........WW2 and beyond, not falling into WW1 or earlier where the squad was an afterthought, except maybe cav and indian days.

Besides, I don't think there is anything out there that can top a conflict between an army of Cowardly Lions vs and army of Barney Fifes. :)
03-11-2012, 10:34 AM,
I've been reading about WW1 lately, Tim Cook's books on the Canadian Corps (At the Sharp End and Shock Troops), and squad combat was basically invented in WW1, as a result of trench warfare. They had to figure out how to get the units into the trenches, and then hold them against counterattacks, so they dispersed the platoon into squads, decentralized command so the loss of any one officer wouldnt shut down the advance, and incorporated fire support like LGMs and rifle grenades into the squad so if the arty missed and the tanks broke down they still had a chance. It's pretty interesting, and the books above really make a point of how tactics evolved throughout the war, I reccomend them.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

03-11-2012, 05:15 PM,
In late WW1 many field armies implemented innovative squad level tactics to break the deadlock of trench warfare. The most famous one is german infantry raid tactics of 1917 and 1918. The Caporetto Raid commanded by Erwin Rommel is a typical example of how small unit tactics were evolved during WW1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Caporetto
03-12-2012, 07:03 AM,
(03-10-2012, 04:12 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: If they could somehow incorporate Thomas the Tank Engine, my kids would totally play it.

That would be the end of my computer usage as the wee fella would take over. 'Shaun the Sheep' would also play havoc with my leisure time.

I'm kind of hoping the Tiller crew don't get a request from the army to concentrate all their focus on Thomas or Shaun. If they do I'm stuffed.

(may be saved as Shaun may not have hit your fair shores)
03-12-2012, 09:07 AM,
It's hard to believe that New Zealand would have an animated character that's a sheep. A trout might be plausible, but a sheep? The next thing you know, they are going to think they can play rugby or some such thing.

Jeff
03-12-2012, 09:08 AM,
(03-12-2012, 07:03 AM)Nikb Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 04:12 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: If they could somehow incorporate Thomas the Tank Engine, my kids would totally play it.

That would be the end of my computer usage as the wee fella would take over. 'Shaun the Sheep' would also play havoc with my leisure time.

I'm kind of hoping the Tiller crew don't get a request from the army to concentrate all their focus on Thomas or Shaun. If they do I'm stuffed.

(may be saved as Shaun may not have hit your fair shores)

Apparently you haven't found thomasandfriends.com then, eh?

My boys are totally addicted...

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4