• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

My CMBN playing days are numbered
03-02-2012, 01:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012, 02:02 AM by Herr Klopek.)
My CMBN playing days are numbered
The company that I work for is changing our laptops. Currently I have a HP elitebook 8530p which is being replaced by an hp probook6460b. I took the probook home last night to install cmbn super excited that I'm getting a faster processor only to find that the game does not play well at all on the laptop. It is slow as a dog (slower than a very old, sick lame dog), it crashes and freezes and it impossible to play. I started a thread at the tech support in Battlefront and also submitted an official tech support email. I'm sending this thread out here in the hopes that someone might be able to help. I already updated my drivers. My anti virus program is ESET NOD32 antivirus 5, which I shut off and disable when I play. Here are the specs of both the new and old machines:

HP ProBook 6460b

Intel
Model Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Intel Processor analysis tools not detected
CPU Speed 2.3 GHz
Link to Processor Specification Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz

GRAPHICS INFORMATION
Graphics Product [1] Intel® Processor Graphics 3000
Graphics Driver Version not detected
3D Acceleration Yes
Hardware Transform & Lighting Support Yes
Video Memory 1.7 GB
Vertex Shader Support 4.1
Pixel Shader Support 4.1
Microsoft DirectX* Version 11.0

Specs of the old machine are:

HP elitebook 8530p

ATI mobility radeon HD 3650
Intel centrino 2

Needless to say I'm very disappointed with this and I hope someone can come up with a solution.

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2012, 03:54 AM,
RE: My CMBN playing days are numbered
Are you really sure you have the right drivers installed?
Check in the Device Manager->Display Adapters that your video card is properly identified instead of a 'generic driver' being used.
I had a similar issue with my sister's laptop.The driver from the cd the laptop came with installed just fine apparently,but still it wasn't properly recognized. It worked only when i fetched the latest ATI driver. Possibly that's why you're seeing the 'Graphics Driver Version not detected ' line.
Send this user an email
03-02-2012, 07:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012, 07:06 AM by Herr Klopek.)
(03-02-2012, 03:54 AM)raz_atoth Wrote: Are you really sure you have the right drivers installed?
Check in the Device Manager->Display Adapters that your video card is properly identified instead of a 'generic driver' being used.
I had a similar issue with my sister's laptop.The driver from the cd the laptop came with installed just fine apparently,but still it wasn't properly recognized. It worked only when i fetched the latest ATI driver. Possibly that's why you're seeing the 'Graphics Driver Version not detected ' line.

I'm not 100% sure. I went on the intel website and followed their wizard and it said I have the latest driver for the graphics card. But that said, I'm good with the guys in my IT department. They know that gaming is important for me so I'll ask them to check on the drivers and make sure that they are all current.....hopefully this will solve my issue.

Thanks

I just went to the device driver manually and found out that my driver is working and up to date for the graphics card. Driver version

Darn!

03-02-2012, 08:43 AM,
Update to my predicament:

I received a very prompt and informative reply/solution for my problem from Battlefront. It seems that I have a "discrete" video card or in laymans terms, my laptop contains both a crappy and good video card. A crappy one for applications that don't need a 3-D card to save batteries and a better one to play games on. The trouble is that CMBN does not play on "Open GL application" apparrantly there is a knowledge base article on that. However, I should be able to install drivers and programs to my laptop that will fix the better video card and then CMBN should work like a charm (I hope)

I won't know if this will work until next week. I'll share my results then.
03-06-2012, 02:09 AM,
(03-02-2012, 08:43 AM)Herr Klopek Wrote: It seems that I have a "discrete" video card or in laymans terms, my laptop contains both a crappy and good video card.
Intel video cards are indeed very low end. I'm surprised you were able to launch the game at all.
03-06-2012, 07:32 AM,
Reporting back as promised. My IT guys checked out the laptop and I do not have the discrete video card, only the crappy one so I am SOL :(:(:(:(

Oh well, I did the most reasonable thing and told them not to switch laptops with me yet and to put me at the bottom of the list, this way I can still keep on playing and give me time to purchase that nice desktop I was holding back on.

Now to read up on how to uninstall the game for licensing purposes.

Thank you to all who replied.

Regards

Frank