• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

release problem
02-29-2012, 12:25 PM,
RE: release problem
(02-29-2012, 12:17 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Ah, so the bug was with the player, not the game?

It is something that should not be happening but is. I moved some divisions around to other corps organizations while they were unfixed; not knowing, not caring, that they would be fixed again in a few hours. They were then fixed again, but now, since they are not in their original organization, they won't unfix. Next attachment phase, in 6 hours, I'll re-attach them to their original corps and hope for the best. So yes, it is, apparently a bug. Helmet RolleyesLOL
Quote this message in a reply
02-29-2012, 12:57 PM,
Hard telling Jonny, since getting details is like pulling teeth. Did you attach the division to a formation that became fixed, then after the division fixed you moved it to another formation before it had unfixed? Or something similar? I will run a test of what I think you are saying is the bug but if the division fixed when the corps fixed, it should have unfixed just as easily when the corps released, so I will test that and post the results, or you can post the full details so someone can look into it - or maybe even report it to HPS officially for review?

I just don't like seeing bug claims, as a professional software tester in my real life, when either all details aren't given, or it just plain isn't a bug!

Anyway, I will be back after running a test of a unit assigned to a corps that then fixes, then releases.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-29-2012, 01:13 PM,
Okay, ran a test where I assigned a division from one corps to another that was going to fix. As expected, the division fixed when the corps was issued its fixed order. Then 3 turns later the corps had a release order. Again, as expected, the division released when the corps did. All units assigned to the corps fixed and released together.

So jonny, can you please send me a game turn, password and explicit description of the bug you ran into so I can verify and pass it along to Glenn? Or just post a full description and maybe send it along to HPS support? Otherwise, no bug that I see, everything worked exactly as expected in my test of what I think you had an issue with.

Thanks
Rick
02-29-2012, 04:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-29-2012, 05:09 PM by Volcano Man.)
Here is what sounds like happened (just speculating thought):

The corps had a fix and a release order. One one turn the corps fixed, then a day later (it seems to have been fixed for several days) one of the divisions was reassigned to another corps, and later on that original corps was released while its divisions were in another corps. Did you try a test like that (it hard to tell from the text)?

If so, and the divisions were released despite being assigned to another corps then that is great news and the whole theory on what caused it is out the window (and it does eliminate the idea of cheating by moving divisions between corps that are going to release before another one does).

Actually, yes, I just ran a test like I described and it results in the division not getting released.

I don't think this is a bug per se, so it shouldn't be called a "bug". Quite simply, the corps is getting fixed and released and it is handling it by the units that are currently attached as it is expected to. It should be up to the user to check and see if his units are fixed or not, before attaching them around. However, the mechanics of it does allow cheating to occur if someone wanted to shuffle divisions around if the scenario isn't designed with this in mind. This is why corps level releases/fixes should be avoided at all costs if you don't want the shuffle releases in PzC (and Army level of the same in FWWC), unless the releases/fixes are happening on the first day which means it doesn't matter.
Send this user an email
02-29-2012, 06:55 PM,
Interesting discussion - I will have to go and look at some work I am currently doing and ensure that all releases are at Divisional level. It will be a pain to be honest, but I had not thought of the loophole as laid out here.

David
02-29-2012, 07:34 PM,
Yeah, you would have to release the division(s), then the corps attachments, then the HQ -- very painful. The alternative would be to try to handle releases at the army level, but that obviously doesn't always work. :( Oh well, at least you only have to setup the releases once...
Send this user an email
03-01-2012, 12:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2012, 12:51 AM by jonnymacbrown.)
"Hard telling Jonny, since getting details is like pulling teeth."

Ok here is the situation: At start, French 7th Army has:

1er Corps with 25e DIM, 4e DI Colonial, 7eDINA
XVIe Corps with 9e DIM
7th Army Reserve with 4e DI, 21e DI, 60e DI, 1e DLM

On the first corps attachment phase, 0000 hours MAY 11; I reorganized so:
1er Corps now has 25e DIM, 4e DI Colonial, 7e DINA, 1e DLM, 9e DLM
XVI Corps now has 21e DI
7th Army Reserve now has 4e DI
Army Nord 60e DI

In other words the units I moved to 1er Corps did not release, ie. 1e DLM and 9e DIM. Again, as we now approach the 14th I still have fixed 1e DLM, 9e DIM both of which I moved to 1er Corps and 60e DI which I moved to Army du Nord is also fixed. At 50% release values they all should have released long ago. I'm going to put everybody back to where they started and hope they release at dawn on the 14th.
I have every turn of the game still on the hard drive. Rolling Eyes

03-01-2012, 04:31 AM,
Okay thx jonny. Now did the new parent formation release and these units didn't? If there was no parent release then there is no bug -bit a warning to not change assignments for fixed units without a good reason incl how releases will be handled.
03-01-2012, 07:02 AM,
(03-01-2012, 04:31 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Okay thx jonny. Now did the new parent formation release and these units didn't? If there was no parent release then there is no bug -bit a warning to not change assignments for fixed units without a good reason incl how releases will be handled.

Yes, the parent units all released.
JesterTEEHEE
03-01-2012, 10:22 AM,
So to confirm, the divisions that remained fixed were assigned prior to the scheduled release to a fixed parent formation, or at least one with a release set for the formation. The parent formation and other units assigned to it released as scheduled, but these divisions did not release along with the others - which completely contradicts the test I ran last night. So if the above is correct, please send me the turn before the release happened, and the turn of release, along with the password, and I will pass along to HPS after verifying, if that works for you jonny.

Thanks much
Rick