• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Complete Newbie Saying Hi!
02-27-2012, 10:55 AM,
RE: Complete Newbie Saying Hi!
Have you seen "The Falklands War, Then and Now?" It's a great book, although a bit pricey. If you haven't seen it, it is well worth a look, especially if you can find it at the library. The hundreds (if not thousands) of pictures made me feel like I had actually been to the islands.

Jeff
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2012, 02:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2012, 03:01 AM by Redvers Buller.)
(02-27-2012, 10:55 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Have you seen "The Falklands War, Then and Now?" It's a great book, although a bit pricey. If you haven't seen it, it is well worth a look, especially if you can find it at the library. The hundreds (if not thousands) of pictures made me feel like I had actually been to the islands.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have seen it - at the reference library here in Toronto - and it's a fantastic book, I agree. Another interesting read, which gives a different view of the war is "The Red and Green Life Machine" by Rick Jolly. Rick Jolly was, at the time, Surgeon-Commander Rick Jolly, Royal Navy (later Surgeon-Captain Rick Jolly, OBE, RN) who was the senior medical officer for 3 Commando Brigade and ran the field hospital at Ajax Bay. The book is about his experiences at the field hospital during the war - it's an excellent read. There are quite a few interesting photos in that book as well. He remains the only person who was decorated by both sides in the war - he was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire soon after the war and, in 1998, was made an Officer of the Orden de Mayo by Argentina for his work treating Argentinean casualties.
02-28-2012, 07:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2012, 07:34 AM by Jeff Conner.)
One of the things that I find amazing about Rick Jolly is his matter-of-fact description of being lowered in the water to rescue a drowning sailor. I doubt there are many command-level, military, doctors who spend their time flying around in helicopters (it would appear that he also did some of the actual flying) much less volunteer to go into the water to save someone. I agree, its a great read. It didn't provide much information for the game, so it is listed in the secondary resources, but I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the Falklands War.

Jeff
02-28-2012, 01:41 PM,
Sorry, I missed it in the secondary sources! Anyway, I agree it doesn't serve the purposes of the game (except to describe the effects of the weaponry involved), but well worth reading.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game and am locked in battle with tallin right now - I've never played by email before and I can see how addictive it can be - I'm already considering which SB title to buy next!