• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The 'Advantage' Rule
02-06-2012, 03:37 AM,
RE: The 'Advantage' Rule
(02-03-2012, 06:10 AM)kineas Wrote: From the manual:

"The Advantage Bar at the bottom of the AI Selection screen allows you to balance play between two players of unequal skill or to balance play against the AI. To set an Advantage, hold down the left mouse button over the slider Bar control and move it to the left or right (the keyboard’s arrow
keys can also be used to adjust the advantage). Advantage values can range from 0 to 100 for
either side. Depending on the value you set, the side with an advantage will inflict higher than
normal combat losses on the other side and suffer lower than normal combat losses themselves.
Advantage must be set before play begins in E-Mail, Modem Play, and Two-Player Hot Seat games.
Otherwise, the Advantage can be adjusted at any time during the game."

Does anybody have more specific info on the subject? What quantity gets modified and how? Is it possible to indicate the modified values on the UI? I'd like to try this feature in pbem.

I used it once to see how it worked against the AI.....near as I can figure it makes the advantaged side nearly invincible to enemy fire and turns the disadvantaged side into virtual cream puffs .......years ago there was a player who would set the AI to favor himself for PBEM and it worked pretty well for a while as most guys never bother to check the setting...alas he was finally found out and suitably disposed of :-)

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2012, 03:48 AM,
VE,

"disposed of" ?

Was that 50 lashes Whip

severely beat about the head and shouldersWarrior2

or just plan shot at sunrise?Rifle

ItB
02-06-2012, 04:14 AM,
John, I think they made him Walk the Plank

Cheers4

HSL
02-06-2012, 06:32 AM,
HSL,

LOLROTFLMAO

I am not worthy! Respect3

I am not worthy Oh Great and Powerful HSL! Respect

I didn't see the plank...

ItB:smoke2:
02-06-2012, 07:56 AM,
Nor do they expect the Spanish Inquisition? Angel

:persuade:

Buds

HSL

02-06-2012, 05:45 PM,
Gentlemen, I seem to recall before I was hooked up with real opponents from the 'Blitz, I played many solo games against AI & I fooled around with the bar settings. I found arty not falling in the planned areas of fire, much better die rolls for the opposition(as mentioned) & units not coming in way late. This was Talon Soft. I havent even thought about using it against real opponents as its effects really skew the game.
02-07-2012, 03:51 AM,
If yopu want to see how the slider effects play. There is a controled way to do so. Make a dynamic campaign and set it to hard. when you make a game you will see the slider has changed. If i remember right hard is 2.5 clicks. It is quite a bit harder but very playable..it makes russian infantry the equal of germans at close range roughly. If you play a german campaign its actualy a good trainer for face to face play. I never tryed impossible but only because i trusted the setting name :p Also the slider effects force sizes in the dynamic campaign.
The biggest insult to human intelligence which is considerable in my opinion. Is the notion that the universe made itself. Has anyone ever see a star form? Come on people. what will they tell us now? The earth is flat?
02-09-2012, 02:58 PM,
who used this in PBEM? I don't rmember that. must have been during one of my sabbaticals.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
02-09-2012, 08:51 PM,
Larry it was so long ago (could be four or five years) I cannot remember who did it. I do remember that his opponent, on a whim scrolled through the rules they were using, took a look at the slider and asked what it meant ... in open forum. Yikes2

I'm sure it's in the forum archives. But, scrolling through the archives is both tedious and time consuming. Search

Cheers5

HSL