• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The 'Advantage' Rule
02-03-2012, 06:10 AM,
The 'Advantage' Rule
From the manual:

"The Advantage Bar at the bottom of the AI Selection screen allows you to balance play between two players of unequal skill or to balance play against the AI. To set an Advantage, hold down the left mouse button over the slider Bar control and move it to the left or right (the keyboard’s arrow
keys can also be used to adjust the advantage). Advantage values can range from 0 to 100 for
either side. Depending on the value you set, the side with an advantage will inflict higher than
normal combat losses on the other side and suffer lower than normal combat losses themselves.
Advantage must be set before play begins in E-Mail, Modem Play, and Two-Player Hot Seat games.
Otherwise, the Advantage can be adjusted at any time during the game."

Does anybody have more specific info on the subject? What quantity gets modified and how? Is it possible to indicate the modified values on the UI? I'd like to try this feature in pbem.
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2012, 07:51 AM,
RE: The 'Advantage' Rule
I'm not sure if it is still universal, but this was once frowned on for use in PBEM. Read2
It's one thing to play a game versus an opponent with a lower win-loss/ELO, in a scenario where the game reflects a balance that favors one side, over setting the advantage bar feature in a more balanced scenario.
Ladder games usually should be played on an even playing field. Even if that field is a scenario that seems unbalanced to one side? Idea2

I guess two opponents can agree to it before they start play. Though, I would never use it. And, I think that someone who would change the advantage bar during play would be using a stunt method to win? Dont Know
If it's not going to be reported on the ladder, it makes no difference to me.

I guess others can weigh in on this. Crystal Ball

Cheers5

HSL
02-03-2012, 10:58 AM,
Hey Ed!

I thought the "advantage bar' did not work for PBEM games.

At least that was my understanding.
02-03-2012, 11:34 AM,
I thought you could set it at the outset, but could not move it once the game was underway.
02-03-2012, 01:45 PM,
My understanding is this is the classic "AI gets better rolls" kind of 'balancing,' OP, to answer your question (or partially answer it, as I cannot speak to the mechanics that are effected). I.e. the AI or the player with the 'advantage' is given some incrementally better dice rolls and that's about it. I cannot say if it is available PBEM or not, as I've never tried it (at all, not just in e-mail).

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
02-03-2012, 07:40 PM,
I understand it can't be changed after game start, as indeed nor can the rules as set. As for PBEM, I don't know.
02-03-2012, 08:45 PM,
(02-03-2012, 06:10 AM)kineas Wrote: From the manual:

Advantage must be set before play begins in E-Mail, Modem Play, and Two-Player Hot Seat games.
Otherwise, the Advantage can be adjusted at any time during the game."

Looks like you lock it in when you start a PBEM scenario. But, can adjust it anytime while playing the AI?

I know it is not for me! Farmer

cheers

HSL
02-04-2012, 07:36 PM,
I got this old idea to have a 'floating' balance between too players, to maintain a 50% win/loss ratio. I mean a long term gaming partner and not a random player from the ladder. If the advantage for one side was really a factor I'd not bother to report it as a ladder game.

CS provides a good mechanics for this. I tested it against the AI, it works, the favored side rolls better both on the attack and the defense. It's like the 'experience' factor in Combat Mission. My problem is that the description is too vague for serious play. On the UI (combat results dialog) you only see the original values, the advantage rules work totally in the background. What I just really don't like.
02-04-2012, 10:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012, 10:53 PM by Crossroads.)
You propably would need to ask Jason Petho to answer how it actually works...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-04-2012, 11:07 PM,
(02-04-2012, 07:36 PM)kineas Wrote: I got this old idea to have a 'floating' balance between too players, to maintain a 50% win/loss ratio. I mean a long term gaming partner and not a random player from the ladder. If the advantage for one side was really a factor I'd not bother to report it as a ladder game.

I'm not sure how to quantify the skewed mechanics. Read

All I know is that, in my opinion, any ladder results should be fairly acquired by both opponents. They should be reported in a way that statistically reflects the even play between everyone who reports the scenario for ladder points.
If you and your friend play that way, and report the games on the ladder, then the ladder is effected.
It might seem petty, but, ladder games are scenarios that are "even playing fields". Wins and losses should be reported fairly. If you "slide the bar" to your advantage and report a major victory, what does that do for everyone that won a major (or minor) played fairly and evenly.

Do you want a soccer team who has a lesser standing (or lesser skilled players) to be able to shoot into a larger goal, have more players on the field, and have the opponents goal keeper blindfolded?
Would your soccer team then have equal footing on wins and losses that would propel them the championship play?
If they won a world cup, using the above example, would they be the best team? Idea2
In actuality I think the team would need the players to work on their skills and get a better coach. Sweep

Honestly, to me (and I cannot speak for others), it would be a factor if anyone reported skewed games on the CS ladder.
You are free to play that way for fun between you and your buddy. I would just not want to see the games reported. Farmer

cheers

HSL