• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Combat screenshots
01-26-2012, 06:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2012, 06:41 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Combat screenshots
One of the tutorial Basic Training missions v AI:

This machinegunner on the hill sprays my boys in the trees, what cheek!-
[Image: tre1.gif]

So we storm the hill-
[Image: tre2.gif]

[Image: tre3.gif]

And take it-
[Image: tre4.gif]

NOTE- I simply gave my boys 'Assault' orders and watched them run up the hill, so in that sense CMBN needs no boring micromanaging and is very easy to play, just like real life where the overall commander simply gives basic orders to his platoons and lets them get on with it without interfering..:)

QB v AI: Death from the sky, even in overcast and rain like here: The plane that strafed my AT gun was invisible, haven't a clue what type it was but I heard its engine; note its shells spattering on the ground-
[Image: bn-hgl.gif]

QB v AI: An M8 has a pot at my Stug (missed), and confirms what we'd probably already guessed:- hedgerows don't block vehicle LOS.
The car was reversing under AI control but still fired.
(Low bocage on the right is just to give a size comparison)-
[Image: bn-m8.gif]

QB v AI: That AI Tigers been taking numerous Sher 75 hits on its front for most of the game without a scratch and had killed 4 Shers.
It kept reversing but wouldn't die until at last I got this side shot
[Image: lo9.gif]

The yanks mercilessly machinegun the bailed crew.
Well, the commander was carrying a schmeisser so he was asking for trouble and should have dropped it to pose no threat, hasn't he seen Predator?-
[Image: lo010.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2012, 06:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2012, 07:00 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Combat screenshots
QB: the AI beat me with a swarm of little M8 HMC's against my Stugs (sniffle)-

[Image: nt.gif]

QB v AI: Streets of fear...my Sher 75's overun 2 Panthers for side shots. Note one Sher firing the last shot of the game between the houses to get a 3rd Panth and clinch victory-
[Image: str1.gif]

The 3rd Panther getting it-
[Image: str2.gif]

Incidentally you can move the camera forward to inspect the inside of tanks if you like.
I find the W,A,S,D keys are better for this close work than push-pulling the mouse because they give finer control-
[Image: str3.gif]

QB v AI: this Stug thought he could go up against my hunting stack single handed-
[Image: st2.gif]
Dream on Charlie-
[Image: st1.gif]

Hiram Sedai's Panther v POS:
Don't you just hate it when you put two of your light M8 baby tanks behind a house for safety then a Panther comes along and toasts them both?
[Image: pn1.gif]

Hiram Sedai's Marder catches a glimpse of my Sherman's turret poking up over an embankment and lets fly
[Image: hs1.gif]

Scratch one flat top-
[Image: hs2.gif]

The Marder keeps firing, nearly taking the head off one of the bailing crew-
[Image: hs3.gif]

12-27-2012, 01:31 PM,
These shots bring back a lot of good memories!!! About the time these matches took place POS and I played a blind QB. It was my very first CMBN game versus a human. The AI handled map/force selection, so you can imagine how messed up it was. I had three 75mm Shermans, two or three M8 HMCs, plus a single Sherman 105. For infantry.........the Platoon HQ and 2IC teams in two half tracks plus 3x81mm mortars off board. Against me, at least 4 Panthers plus an FO and a couple small HQ type teams. The fight came down to my HQ hitting the last Panther with a zook round (compliments of the arms stash in the M3) and then forcing the crew to bail with a barrage of hand grenades. Only my 105 could still move on it's own, the surviving crews from the other vehicles had either fled or were part of my newly minted infantry platoon Big Grin

Easily in my personal Top 5 wargaming moments, and the main reason why CMBN is now my wargame of choice for going H2H.
12-28-2012, 06:22 AM,
Yeah, there are a lot of "wow" moments I've had with this series. Cannot wait for the eastern front modules...then I'll be in heaven.
12-28-2012, 04:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2012, 02:22 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
(12-27-2012, 01:31 PM)SakaiSeven Wrote: POS and I played a blind QB...

Are you the same Sakai who did this to my Panther and Stug mate?-
[Image: sak-trlB.gif]

And are you the same Sakai whose Forward Observer team (foreground) spotted another of my Panthers (circled)..
[Image: sakai2.gif]

And called in this heavy barrage to trash it and its mates? You won a Total vic as i recall
[Image: sak3.gif]
12-31-2012, 02:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2012, 02:39 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
My panzer column probes into enemy territory using farm buildings as cover, but Hiram Sedai's Sherman (green circle) trashes my armoured car at point-
[Image: hir1.gif]

The surviving crew members scramble clear-
[Image: hir2.gif]

------------------------------------------------------------------

Togisan's Panther and a PzIV come through a gap and run head-on into my oncoming Shers/M10's. He loses both machines but I suffer just an immobd M10-
[Image: tog-psr.gif]

However on the other side of the map it's a different story as another of his Panthers calmly picks off 2 of my tanks at long range-
[Image: tog-nle.gif]

The victim's view, ouch that hurt! My 2 surviving tanks fired back a couple of times but their shots bounced skyhigh off the Panths thick front, and next turn they were all dead-
[Image: tog-odf.gif]

12-31-2012, 02:51 AM,
Great Stuff!

Thanks for sharing. They are alot of fun to look at.
12-31-2012, 10:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2012, 10:25 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
As my two Panzer IVs writhe and retch in the blinding choking dust and smoke, Facman's Shermans close in for the kill-
[Image: fac-pdr.gif]

And liberate the restaurant..
[Image: fac-town.gif]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Boff's HMC at top left comes over the ridge and surprises my 12th SS Hitlerjugend ATG before it has time to pivot to defend itself-
[Image: boff-atg.gif]

My bailed M10 crewman whips out his pistol and tries to blow the head
clean off Togisan's panzer commander but he ducked and buttoned-
[Image: tog-pist.gif]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Narsus's M8 probes the village and catches my Marder and Stug napping, quickly killing them both with shots in their backs from its wicked little 37mm cannon-
[Image: nars-M8.gif]

Payback! Next turn Narsus's M8 continues it's probing and crawls slowly by my two Stugs without even seeing them, giving one just enough time to pivot and let him have it-
[Image: m8-brew.gif]

Togisan's bailed halftrack crewman throws a potato masher at my Sherman while under fire-
[Image: gr1.gif]

The thrower is shot down (yellow circle) but the grenade (red circle) sails onward-
[Image: gr2.gif]

and detonates on the front of the Sherman but causes no damage-
[Image: gr3.gif]

My M10 was immobilised earlier but can still use its teeth, here it lets fly at Togisan's Panther on the skyline-
[Image: togm10.gif]

But the shot whistles hamlessly over the turret-
[Image: togpan.gif]

Schutzstaffel's Greyhound has its pleasant evening drive interrupted by my Jagdpanzer IV L/48 firing across the city centre park
[Image: sch1.gif]

The JpzIV's view-
[Image: sch2.gif]
01-01-2013, 01:50 AM,
Great stuff,POS. Thanks for sharing.
Send this user an email
01-01-2013, 03:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013, 03:10 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
My Allies vs German AI: As usual the AI is easy to beat, it fed its armour to me one at a time like on a conveyor belt and my static column simply picked it off one at a time. If the whole German force had come out together and hit me as a solid unit they'd have had a chance, but the AI hasn't the brains to do that.
Hey noobs- the AI is great for learning the game against, as it shows you what NOT to do..:)
[Image: mar2.gif]

View from the German side-
[Image: mar1-1.gif]

My HMC vs AI: the little HMC's are no good in a slog-it-out tank battle, but they're great for zipping around at high speed to get into the enemy side/rear armour like this, as my HMC pops out of an alleyway and trashes this Stug before it even knew what'd hit it.
(Note-but remember the HMC's usually only carry a limited supply of 75mm HEAT ammo and when it's gone they have to use weaker standard HE)
[Image: nn3.gif]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A time to live, a time to die.. My Shermans finish off this German AI armour by getting into its sides, that's how the Allies won the real tank war because the Shermans always outnumbered the panzers and were able to swarm around them like angry bees-
[Image: attl.gif]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet again the Shermans swarm around the German AI, these SPG's had zero chance of pivoting in time to defend themselves-
[Image: st3.gif]