• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Use of the site
12-31-2011, 10:07 PM,
RE: Use of the site
(12-31-2011, 10:03 AM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: Re cans...I will have one or two of beer, if pressed, but I prefer a cold bottle and a nice tall glass....or one of these cheers

I think I'll just stick to using the MB as it is for me, even though IMO it's a bloody joke. When process becomes more important than outcome, we're on the slippery slope to nowhere, I'm afraid.

Actually having looked over tha control thingy.......it may be the person you were trying to email does not allow that in their settings.

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2012, 12:12 AM,
Earl,

Bingo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugpg8XruhVk

You may have hit the nail on the head?
It might not be what Rod sees but, what the other person has done in their settings?

Nice one!

cheers

HSL

01-01-2012, 05:32 AM,
Ed, this stuff is well above my paygrade, I'm afraid, and more at home in a computer club. I have more important stuff to waste my time on.
Invisible members...how absolutely bloody absurd. I thought the last of those were that Swedish cheat's phantom email addresses. This is, or should be a no-nonsense club website, as it once was. It is not (unless we don't know the full picture) a CIA plant.
Mike West has it dead right...... "and that login operation should only need to be done once."
I would put it a little more bluntly....one is either logged in or one is not. Anything else is Orwellian doublespeak...a crime against logic, the triumph of process over outcome.

01-02-2012, 08:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2012, 08:03 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
Well Rod, if a member wants not to be seen on line here at the club that is their right, as long as it is part of the way the forum works.
And, if someone does not want to receive e-mail that have that ability also?

Concerning loggin.
When you erase cookies or switch computers to view the club site you will not be logged in.
Sometimes when you do an antivirus sweep it could disable your cookies. Hence you need to re-log in?

It is the responsibility of the member and not the club at that point?

I'm not a fan of those who want to be "hidden" or not want their e-mail to be accessed from the forums. But, they are in within their rights to do so?

cheers

HSL
01-02-2012, 06:01 PM,
Ed, cookies or watercrackers with cheese notwithstanding, I can hardly be writing this and previous stuff if I'm not logged in. And at the top of the board I see this little piece...Welcome back, K K Rossokolski. So I presume I'm logged in. But I can't report a game, for instance. Surely this thing can be set up so that 007 can do his secret stuff and people can watch a crap movie about blue alien greenies without the logical absurdity of two logins. That's my point.
Happy New Year, btw.
01-02-2012, 08:24 PM,
I try to keep milk around when I mess with cookies. :chin:
Crackers and cheese require something to drink that is more substantial. :buddies:

If you could take a snap of the screen we might be able to see what the problem is? I know I can't do it. But, maybe you can?
Who wanted computers anyway? :angry:

cheers

HSL
01-03-2012, 05:35 AM,
Logging into the site using the login at the upper right of the screen logs you into (1) The Blitz Website and (2) the Forums area of the Blitz website. Think of them as two separate entities, not uncommon with websites that also host a forum.

Logging into just the forum area will allow you to post on the forums, but is the reason KKR can't log games on the Blitz website, since he isn't logged in there.

The solution is to simply login using the top right site-wide login.

The forum software the Blitz uses is third party. Raz didn't write the code for it. To remove that login would be work he'd rather not perform, since everytime the software is updated he'd have to go through the same hoops all over again.

Believe me, this has been discussed ad nauseum amonst site officers. Since the workaround is so incredibly simple, however, we defer to Raz's decision to leave it alone, since his efforts to run and maintain the site for us is a "labor of love".

As for tracking cookies, it's just the way web browsers are made to work. They were invented before the birth of the Blitz. When you login to any database driven site, the site implants a little identifier on your hard drive. Many people thought this was a privacy invasion or even a way to implant nefarious software on their computers, so browsers offered a "block cookies" option. Now they're considered routinely harmless. So when I visit the Blitz, the website checks my cookies folder, sees there's a blitz cookie with my personal login information, checks it against it's saved data and not only lets me in, but says "Welcome back, Scud".

In KKR's case, though, it's a little different... It's magic.

(Just teasing you, Rod Big Grin)

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM,
I agree with KK. This should be easier than it is. As a fellow digitally challenged individual I find it most frustrating when I'm trying to log results on games or work in the H2H area, etc., and painstakingly enter all the data/results/bs required...only to find it doesn't take...
I'm "out" and worst of all...out the time to do it over again after trying to log in "correctly".
I acknowledge that I am handicapped in this area.
Unfortunately...a lot of us are old...and share this handicap...

If that's the way it is, and we can't get our smart guys to work around the structure of the system because it's a mountain of work, I understand, but to KK's point...it does seem like it should be easier.

As for invisible members?
Is there some point to that?
Is this a club?
Are you ashamed to be known as a member of this club?
Do you feel a need to hide from your enemies?

As the most intelligent Marx of all said...Groucho that is..."I won't belong to any organization that will have people like me as a member?"

Ghosts...shadows...invisible men...all quite spooky...

Regards,

Dan
01-06-2012, 12:09 AM,
(01-03-2012, 05:35 AM)Scud Wrote: Logging into the site using the login at the upper right of the screen logs you into (1) The Blitz Website and (2) the Forums area of the Blitz website. Think of them as two separate entities, not uncommon with websites that also host a forum.

Are there alternatives for using the "proper" login sequence? I thought the top right login was the only alternative?

Or is the one in the Welcome <username> box a separate, partial login/logout?

Would it be too simple to not allow access to any other but the main login functionality?

Just asking, I am sure you guys have given all this a lot of consideration.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-06-2012, 03:33 AM,
I'd bring it up again, but I already know the answer, so no point really. However, if any of you program in PHP/mysql and know linux and web app programming and would like to get involved I'm sure Raz love to have some help.

Anyone?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email