• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Engineers
11-07-2011, 03:03 AM,
RE: Engineers

I think its best if I leave the creation of new units to the better minds of this club.I'd have a better chance of solving the Cadbury secret I'm afraid.

Dragoon
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2011, 04:38 AM,
(11-05-2011, 08:51 AM)Dragoon Wrote: Just a thought...Maybe there should be two types of bridging Engineers.One for getting infantry across which would,I think, be faster to set up and get them across to set up a brigehead while the Heavy bridge Engineers(if thats a correct term)sets up for heavier vehicles.But then again thats what rafts and boats are for.So pay no attention to this post cause at the moment I'm too lazy to delete it.

Dragoon

There are two types of bridging engineers. The Bridging Engineers which can create one medium bridge during the course of a scenario and the regular engineers which can create light bridges for infantry and light vehicles.

Jason Petho

Send this user an email
11-07-2011, 06:11 AM,
Hey ED? Quote -
''In pictures, Glint's bridging engineers had level ground on both sides, which I also assume are hard enough to allow for heavy unit movement.''

If it wasn't level on both sides, wouldn't it be a waterfall? Perhaps we should bring waterfalls into
the graphics?

Just jesting lol!
regards
Peter
11-07-2011, 08:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-07-2011, 08:52 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
(11-07-2011, 06:11 AM)Glint Wrote: Hey ED? Quote -
''In pictures, Glint's bridging engineers had level ground on both sides, which I also assume are hard enough to allow for heavy unit movement.''

If it wasn't level on both sides, wouldn't it be a waterfall? Perhaps we should bring waterfalls into
the graphics?

Just jesting lol!
regards
Peter

Peter, I know you were kidding but, most small rivers and streams have banks (it's part of erosion and what keeps the water flowing where it is)(it could also be a lake?). Depending on their steepness they would have to be "engineered" by removing or adding "fill". And, making it solid enough for heavy vehicles to traverse. It would no longer simply resemble the pictures. Which would add to the time involved in making a crossing.

You'll need to ask Jason to put in the waterfall? ;)

cheers

HSL
11-07-2011, 10:51 PM,
Yeah just kidding Ed !

(11-07-2011, 08:51 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote:
(11-07-2011, 06:11 AM)Glint Wrote: Hey ED? Quote -

the graphics?

Just jesting lol!
regards
Peter

Peter, I know you were kidding but, most small rivers and streams have banks (it's part of erosion and what keeps the water flowing where it is)(it could also be a lake?). Depending on their steepness they would have to be "engineered" by removing or adding "fill". And, making it solid enough for heavy vehicles to traverse. It would no longer simply resemble the pictures. Which would add to the time involved in making a crossing.

You'll need to ask Jason to put in the waterfall? ;)

cheers

HSL

11-07-2011, 11:48 PM,
I know this discussion has mostly been about bridges and the time and space needed by Engineers to build it. I however would like to comment on the smoke laying abilities of Engineers - this morning my neighbour decided to burn all his garden refuse and he had just had his entire lot cleared so it was a nice pile of wet grass and leaves, the smoke that one fire created in a couple of minutes would easily block a 250 metre hex and insure that there is no LOS beyond it. So to create a wall of smoke pots with the wind blowing right should not present too many problems, even in 6 minutes.
Send this user an email
11-08-2011, 06:33 AM,
(11-03-2011, 03:27 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: One way to simulate this, from a scenario design perspective, would be to create a few roads through the forests on the map (alternating trail/dirt road, or something).

In the scenario editor, adding a block (and mines if you want it to take longer) to each hex that the road crosses through the forest.

Then, in the game, you can have your engineers "clear a path" through the forest.

Jason Petho

This would have a real place in a modern context. I have seen LZs blown by ground troops. A block of plastic on the trunks, det cord, bang. Enough to descend sufficiently to drop ammo and stuff.
This type of lateral thinking has enabled some terrific solutions to problems of simulation in CS.
Take for example the bridge over the full hex river. Can't be blown? Oh yes it can. On the map, designer puts a hexside river (dark blue) across the road or railway at one or both ends of the big bridge, add a heavy bridge(s)....you have a bridge across the Rhine or the Bug which can be blown, and rebuilt. I believe this was Huib's idea.
JP's idea of blowing your way through the jungle to create a road is in the same spirit. And realistic. Orchard terrain...mine strength 1, Light jungle.... strength 2, Dense jungle... strength 3
Further to another capability raised here I believe for Modern Wars, an infantry platoon should have the ability to make smoke. In Vietnam, the standard smoke grenade was about the size of a beer can and came in six or so colours...white , mellow yellow, lucky lime, goofy grape etc. A couple of those popped seemed to block out the world.
I also believe that the capability to clear mines and blocks should be extended to most infantry, if it is possible to put a dice throw for mine casualties into the equation.
Modern AFVs are universally equipped with smoke throwers or generators. In Vietnam, helos laid smoke. We had two smoke kits I think, took a few manhours to fit to a slick.
11-08-2011, 07:08 AM,
Been reading a fair bit about smoke. Certainly agree with you Rod about Vietnam.
Helicopters spayed smoke, aircraft in ww2, smoke generators that protected Anzio
all day. Seems Engineers capabilities ain't out of concept to me.
11-08-2011, 09:53 AM,
(11-08-2011, 07:08 AM)Glint Wrote: Been reading a fair bit about smoke. Certainly agree with you Rod about Vietnam.

I also defer to Rod on anything Vietnam.

(11-08-2011, 07:08 AM)Glint Wrote: Helicopters sprayed smoke, aircraft in ww2, smoke generators that protected Anzio
all day.

You do know that the smoke barges were located in the harbor and not engineers using smoke cans in the front lines? The logistics of keeping those barges supplied was always an issue. But, not in the supply system of CS.

(11-08-2011, 07:08 AM)Glint Wrote: Seems Engineers capabilities ain't out of concept to me.

In a six minute turn you still have issues with what an engineer can do in the game. They can do it, just not as fast as you want them to. :chin: :smoke:

cheers

HSL

11-08-2011, 04:11 PM,
I should have said, regards smoke capabilities, Engineers aon't out of concept, Ed