• Downloads

Engineers
11-03-2011, 03:26 AM,
RE: Engineers
[Image: f77c30e637brid.jpg]
[Image: 157624d46cbrid%20(1).jpg]
[Image: e8c28129f2brid%20(2).jpg]
[Image: 1026025f74brid%20(3).jpg]

Note the time clock in the first and 4th pictures - would take 20 turns to complete?

[Image: 4f6f79a462riv.jpg]
[Image: 1c988fdc41riv%20(1).jpg]

Just for interest !
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2011, 03:27 AM,
One way to simulate this, from a scenario design perspective, would be to create a few roads through the forests on the map (alternating trail/dirt road, or something).

In the scenario editor, adding a block (and mines if you want it to take longer) to each hex that the road crosses through the forest.

Then, in the game, you can have your engineers "clear a path" through the forest.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-03-2011, 03:33 AM,
sorry for the duplication of pics,ain't quite got to grips with the process!
11-03-2011, 04:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2011, 05:24 AM by Kool Kat.)
Peter - IMO you have made an valuable contribution to our special / optional units and scale discussion! :) cheers

Your illustrations clearly shows construction time for Bridging Engineers to erect a (medium strength?) bridge over a stream / river.

IMO, it also reinforces, for scenario developers, that maybe the best way to utilize Bridging Engineers is in longer scenarios (maybe 20 - 30 turns?) and used in "very limited quantities" as the User Manual cautions? :chin:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
11-03-2011, 05:05 AM,
Thank you KK, not often I please you, lol! and yes, I agree, (also a rarity), longer scenarios are probably the best theatre for these bridge-builders. I think that is in the manual as a suggestion anyway.
I also think the Sherman hedge-cutter would be a good addition to the OOBs.
I still maintain the view however,that if designers wish to put these units in their scenarios then,
so be it. We all have the opportunity to choose what we play?
Anyway, I don't want to damage the breakthrough we made in 'building bridges' KK ! Even tho it took longer than 20 turns! ;-)

And Scud, maybe I could be awarded a credit of -20% to my warning level for introducing something fresh into the debate along
with my 'bridge-building' with KK? (Just some English humour on my part ;-))
11-03-2011, 06:19 AM,
(11-03-2011, 05:05 AM)Glint Wrote: And Scud, maybe I could be awarded a credit of -20% to my warning level for introducing something fresh into the debate along
with my 'bridge-building' with KK? (Just some English humour on my part ;-))

Bridge building is always a good thing. It's result should be it's own reward. :)

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
11-03-2011, 06:54 AM,
(11-02-2011, 07:58 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote:
(11-02-2011, 08:08 AM)Chuck10mtn Wrote: Ed,
Why is it that movement, 250 meters per hex and every other part of the game works so well for you, but a turn lasting a day is way out of the relm of thought. What if the original stated time was say 10 min per turn. Would you now be complaining that the game at 250 meters per hex was wrong !! and the scale was off by 50 meters. Scale, time distance and movement are great but I prefer a well balanced game even if all of those are thrown out the window. Interesting conversation but I'll end with this no reason to get everybody all rilled up over something so basic.

[Post edited by Scud to move the response out of the quoted area]

Please Chuck, don't put words, thoughts, or ideas that I do not believe into my mouth (or fingers when I type).
You erect a strawman.

Why I do not like a turn to represent a day?
===>Uh, because it is six minutes? I suggest you find a game where the scale is a turn equals a day.

What if ten minutes?
===>Then things would move differently? All units would move differently.

Complaining?
===> If defending truth and facts is complaining then you need to look up the definition of complaining.

"Rilled up"?
===> If you are "rilled up" Then you should not be responding?
I'm not riled up. I am not excited. I am not angry. If you see it differently then you would be wrong. I simply respond to words that are trying to make facts into "not facts".

I am all for fun and balanced games ... that fit the game scale. If I wanted something that was smaller in scale I'd play Squad Battles. If I wanted something larger, where a turn is hours, I'd play OpC. I would not try to shoe horn CS into a different scale.

No one will convince me that scale should be thrown out. It's there. It's part of the game. Its in every unit. I think scenario designers and the Matrix crew should respect it and nurture it as part of the game.
Ignore it is not right.

cheers

HSL

Please Chuck, don't put words, thoughts, or ideas that I do not believe into my mouth (or fingers when I type).
You erect a strawman
I didn't think I tried to use jedi mind tricks on you, sorry I won't do that again.

Why I do not like a turn to represent a day?
===>Uh, because it is six minutes? I suggest you find a game where the scale is a turn equals a day.
I beleive the game manual states a game turn as being approximately 6 min. Is a turn actually 5 min or 10 as I suggested. Is it whatever the person designing the scenario wants it to be??

What if ten minutes?
===>Then things would move differently? All units would move differently.
Again the manual states Approximately 6 min, so how close to 6 min is a game turn ??

Complaining?
===> If defending truth and facts is complaining then you need to look up the definition of complaining
I'm sorry I was asking you to think outside the 6 min turn, A purists nightmare.
"Rilled up"?
===> If you are "rilled up" Then you should not be responding?
I'm not riled up. I am not excited. I am not angry. If you see it differently then you would be wrong. I simply respond to words that are trying to make facts into "not facts".
I believe I said everybody and was not singling you out. Try to keep peace in the thread.

I am all for fun and balanced games ... that fit the game scale. If I wanted something that was smaller in scale I'd play Squad Battles. If I wanted something larger, where a turn is hours, I'd play OpC. I would not try to shoe horn CS into a different scale.

I don't think anybody is shoe horning anything in, as long as the scale is the same for each side its even.

Kind Regards
Chuck

11-03-2011, 07:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2011, 07:03 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
(11-03-2011, 03:26 AM)Glint Wrote: [Image: f77c30e637brid.jpg]
[Image: 157624d46cbrid%20(1).jpg]
[Image: e8c28129f2brid%20(2).jpg]
[Image: 1026025f74brid%20(3).jpg]

Note the time clock in the first and 4th pictures - would take 20 turns to complete?

[Image: 4f6f79a462riv.jpg]
[Image: 1c988fdc41riv%20(1).jpg]

Just for interest !

:thumbs_up: Well done. Yes, 120 minutes, twenty turns would be about right. Flat surface to flat surface and a small bridge.
In the game an engineer can move next to a river/stream and, with luck, erect a bridge? Getting there is one turn. Erecting it is another.

Yours is a really cool bridge.

Thanks for the pics.

cheers

HSL
11-03-2011, 11:31 AM,

I really like the bridge building engineers in the game.These sketchings of a river crossing are one of many types of portable bridges that were used in WWII.As for the time clock it really means nothing without mentioning distance and number of individual engineers doing the work as far as I can tell.Of course I'm not an Engineer just love the game!!

Cheers

Dragoon
11-03-2011, 04:10 PM,
There's plenty of info to read up on it if one is so inclined. I merely presented the picture
as a precis rather than copy and paste a whole diatribe here.