• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Any interest in a doc on map conversion?
10-11-2011, 04:54 PM,
RE: Any interest in a doc on map conversion?
Wow, just went through that Word doc. That's nuts. You must have some insight into the map editor engine to see how it breaks the file up into sections (?)... or just a good hacker or hex code editor... :-)
I tried to document the map editor symbols years ago and worked on the assumption that it was all fixed symbols. Wrong. Too bad the game file isn't so intricate. I do know that the the ORG files are quite easy to work with in Notepad when you are designing a scene and need to do certain types of editing to the OOB - it can be a time saver over the OOB editor at times.
Anyhow, very cool documentary on the map files. Sounds like you're some sort of coder to do all that.
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2011, 02:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 02:20 AM by Crossroads.)
Agreed, that's some heavy stuff you've been able to first figure out then to put together into this doc! :thumbs_up:

Perhaps you could convert the Word format into a PDF to ensure it can be read by those who do not have MS Office?

Scud, if you read this perhaps you could alert the other mods so this gets to be placed into Blitz Articles section under scenario design?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-12-2011, 03:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011, 04:36 AM by Armored Inferno.)
PDF version attached
I took the liberty of saving the docx version into a PDF. See attached.

Attached Files
.pdf   How to convert one JTCS map to that of another JTCS engine map.pdf (Size: 1,018.78 KB / Downloads: 30)
10-12-2011, 06:33 AM,
Sorry, I had made a pdf also, thinking that same thing, only I wasn't fast enough!!! Thanks for posting that!

Alas I'm not a coder, I wish!! Just a tinkerer, started playing around with the CS games right after I got the original EF in 1998 or something like that, then the campaign disc, looked at all the files in the game to see how things were done, as there was a lot of equipment not included originally! I like the Axis Minors, and have a great deal of literature on them, so I started with Hungary remaking the oob's and making the graphics for missing units. The maps really led me on, since the code changes from map to map in the game, but figured it out after awhile! When Stefan created his modern add-on based on Divided Ground, I really wanted some of the European maps in the game, as well as some cool randoms I had generated/edited, so that really did it!! I hope you guys play around with the stuff and get a feel for it, it's not as complicated as it might seem at first!

Anyhow, if you guys ever have any questions about anything, feel free to ask, I might have an answer, or might not, but I've been inside these things for quite some time now!!

Best regards,

Mike
10-12-2011, 04:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2011, 04:25 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
(10-12-2011, 02:19 AM)Battle Kat Wrote: Scud, if you read this perhaps you could alert the other mods so this gets to be placed into Blitz Articles section under scenario design?
I have Emailed Warhorse to inform him that when he uploaded this as an article he did it with just the word.doc which cannot be displayed, so if he could upload this in plain text i will indeed place it in the CS design area. ;)
10-13-2011, 08:15 AM,
Hey Foul, thanks for checking in on this! Question, the doc has a few screenshots and figures portraying shots of the code and such, this will all disappear in plain text, no? Any chance of a sticky maybe instead, with the doc and the pdf, or best just the pdf, since it's the same, and many folks might not have MSOffice?

Thanks for any consideration!!

Mike
10-14-2011, 03:15 AM,
Hello Mike,
First thing, did you get my Email? If not your address needs up dating on your profile. ;)

You can place pictures/ screen shots within the "add an article" feature , but they should be "hosted" on the web to give them a "url" address just the same as if you were posting them into a post on the forum.

If you don't want to do that you can try to just copy the whole article and see if it will paste into the "add an article" feature, sometimes that works as well.

If you want to go down the "sticky" route then that is a job for Toni/Dave, so you are best contacting them, i don't want to mess around with their area. Big Grin
10-14-2011, 08:31 AM,
Hey Foul,

No, never got your email, but many have had problems with my email addy for some reason, most don't but I don't know what could be the problem with it?? I will probably just enter the hotmail addy so folks can reach me for sure. I will try what you suggested with the copy idea, if it won't work, I will contact Toni or Dave. Thanks again for the correspondence!

Mike
10-18-2011, 10:49 AM,
OK, here is a link to the file for now, will try to get ahold of a Mod to maybe sticky this thing?
https://rapidshare.com/files/3525511943/...ersion.zip

Mike