• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Patches
08-06-2011, 07:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2011, 07:16 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE: Patches
(08-06-2011, 02:35 AM)Lowlander Wrote: Everyone has their own personnal favourite but looking thro the updates surely it would be possible to upgrade and enhance the early games to at least Sealion standards.
<SNIP>

Right - thanks for summarizing the list of games and when they were patched last. We can all go to the HPS PzC Updates page and see what games were updated when. A link is below.

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Updates/up_...es_PZC.asp

Can I then assume from your post that you don't wish to make your own selection for which game to updated next if you could pick one? That is you are not about to start a game of PzC ???? and you would really like to have it updated so you are take advantage of some particular feature ???? . You are just concerned that some games you own are not at the level you would like to have them at in case you were going to start one it wouldn't be at teh level you would like. Yes?

I am just wanting to be clear because the order the updates come out is not usually based on the title patched longest ago, rather it is who wants a title updated for a particular feature to a title that could use a update because they are playing or about to play the game. So any title could be a candidate for an update, not just the ones you indicated have gone the longest since recieving one last.

Glenn

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2011, 08:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2011, 08:44 AM by -72-.)
(08-05-2011, 08:09 AM)enigma6584 Wrote:
(08-05-2011, 07:57 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote:
(08-05-2011, 07:07 AM)enigma6584 Wrote: Whoohaa...that is good news. I've been waiting on some patches for some particular Panzer Campaign games myself. I hope you are correct in your assumption.

which ones?

What feature are you looking to have added to games

I would love the following to be brought up to Kursk or Budapest standard:

Kharkov 42
Minsk 44
Smolensk 41
Rzhev 42

I've been playing a lot of Smolensk lately, and would like to add a vote for that.

However, I was wanting to do some work with El Alamein, (scenario editing), and the night disruption rules particularly would come in handy.

So, El Alamein 42 would be top of my list.

___

Edited: - FWIW: I took Rich's answer on Wargamer.com to be referring to projects that he was the coordinator over, and not a blanket answer concerning titles in what Blitz categorises as Tiller Operational Campaigns. AFAIK, he isn't a project coordinator over any of the ToC titles.
Bydand
Send this user an email
08-06-2011, 02:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM by Dog Soldier.)
I think Glenn, the blitz community has already voted for what titles they would like updated next. I analyzed the blitz game results DB. I think game results can be treated as votes for popularity as to which titles are being played here at the blitz.

I would recommend updates to S41 and M44 first.
R42 and DF85 next.

Here are results of games played in 2011 as of today from the blitz DB.
[Image: ca92eba15108052011%20Tiller%20OPS%20ladder%20report.jpg]

And here is the same data in a little different form.
[Image: abfc20118e08052011%20Tiller%20OPS%20chart.jpg]
What I see is:
  • Of 28 titles in the TOC section of the blitz, 27 titles have been played at least once this year.
  • The distribution of game results across those 27 titles makes a nice normal distribution.
Let us consider the center around the high point in the curve which results in 11 game titles grouped within 4% of total games played from the the most popular game (50% of F14 the most popular title).
Cross referencing those seven game titles with the dates the titles were patched looks like this...
[Image: e0cc877f2b08052011%20Tiller%20OPS%20distribution.jpg]
What I see...
  • R42 & M44 are the most popular games which have the longest time since an update has been made.
  • S41 has nearly the same number of games played as F14, thus is just as popular, but has not been updated for three years
  • The next ranked group would be F40, FG85 and EA42 in that order.

To further determine the order of the games that are to be nominated for update in the final set of five games, the variable to be considered would be have enough significant changes occurred since these five games were last patched to give enough "bang for the buck" to refresh them for the community here at the blitz. I believe Glenn, Scott and JTS are best informed to make that determination.

That is all I have to say about that.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-06-2011, 08:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2011, 08:04 PM by Lowlander.)
Well heck, it's reassuring to know that the Blitz community has already voted in which order the games should be updated, I am a member and did the PBEM thing.
Bring them on !!!.
But what about the other clubs worldwide and the vast silent majority of customers who don't PBEM and just play against the AI, where is their vote.
Surely a common definitive patch which could be applied to every game would be more acceptable.
Don't see anyone voting against a update, they seem to be like me, just hoping for one.
Switching from a 2011 game to a 2007 patched one is retrogressive and I miss all the latest bells and whistles.

I really enjoy these games but like any hobby we all want the latest and best version.
08-07-2011, 09:49 AM,
Lowlander,
I think you are missing my point. I will try this another way.

Glenn seems to indicate there are limited resources to spend time on updates to already released titles.

Thus, since this is the blitz, I confined my analysis to the blitz membership.
I am sure JTS, HPS, and Glenn all receive input from others outside the blitz.

That is why the final call on what to update is theirs and theirs alone. I just threw a blitz club stone into the pot of rock soup for them to consider.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
08-07-2011, 06:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2011, 06:02 PM by Lowlander.)
Dog Soldier.
I was just beating the grass to see if I could get some movement.

I suspect what has happened as it does in most cases when the product range expands is that the patch is not kept as a seperate building block to be applied to each game, but rather each game is built upon the last one.

So unravelling the patches is the time consuming challenge.
As an engineer I used to do a lotta development work, including production tooling, then after we finished and won the order they issued the blueprints, different line of work same problem.
08-08-2011, 01:27 AM,
Hi, I would like to see Market Garden updated. Other than that, I think that the titles that have gone the longest without a patch should be updated first.[/align]
08-08-2011, 04:43 AM,
(08-08-2011, 01:27 AM)Frode Larsen Wrote: Hi, I would like to see Market Garden updated. Other than that, I think that the titles that have gone the longest without a patch should be updated first.

I agree! I would add France '40, KH42, EA 42... And very often new patches seem to stir up interests for the patched games.
:cool2:
Send this user an email
08-08-2011, 06:31 AM,
DS, your graph data does not match the data in your table. Your table says (for example) that F14 had 27 games played, but the graph shows a completely different picture.
08-08-2011, 01:30 PM,
Thanks. I have corrected the problem which changed the results some. Dang data gremlins.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp